• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MO DMV "Official" Don't Tred on Me" License plate!

Morpheus97

I haven't received a response and honestly don't expect one. They heard from me on this issue and will hear from me again on the next election.

Superlite27

It seems that, in the approval, design, acceptance, and offering of this specialty plate, the "powers that be" have intentionally adhered to the bare minimum in order to meet the literal definition of the program. They have legally fulfilled their requirement to the word.

They know what was intended, and what was desired, and have intentionally failed at providing it while still maintaining adherence to the letter of the law.

Therefore, when it comes to "Don't Tread On Me" plates....

....We've been tread upon.

Somewhere, a liberal progressive government hack is laughing.

I've thought of several ideas to rectify this unsatisfactory situation. I've thoroughly read the Revised Missouri Statutes concerning the Dept. of Revenue and licence plates and have several ideas:

1) RsMO says the standards for plates must be "Reflective Surface Coating", "Common Color Scheme" and "Aesthetically Pleasing Appearance". What would be wrong with applying for these specialty plates, and when they arive, painting your own (similar to the example in the link) as long as it has the right number and meets the guidelines above? I haven't found anywhere in the RsMO statutes that says the Dept. of Revenue HAS to be the sole provider. (It may be there, and I just can't find it. Little help? Someone else want to check?)

2) I also can't seem to find any law regarding application of labels or stickers to the plate's surface. (Other that it MUST have a current registration sticker of the appropriate color code.) What would be wrong with putting a Yellow Gadsden "Coiled Snake" sticker next to the numbers? Would this be within the perameters of the law?

Superlite27

reasonably clean

"clean" = a variable degree of dirt, or lack thereof.

"reasonably" = ?

Define "reasonable".

I would think a "sticker" would not fall into the category of "dirt", therefore would not alter or have any effect on cleanliness.

....and if it did, I hereby determine the amount of soil it adds to the plate is negligible, therefore "reasonable".

Unless you can point me in the right direction concerning the arbiter of license plate cleanliness?

Where is his office located?

Since it appears that ONLY plates issued by the Dept. of Revenue would be considered as valid, it looks as if I might be going with the "reasonable" (if it even exists) dirt that a Gadsden snake sticker would add to the plate (Without reducing the reflective quality, of course. I'd love to find a reflective coiled snake sticker. Then, there'd be no question of "reducing the reflectiveness".)