• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Returning to Georgia

paramedic

The family and I will be relocating to Waycross the weekend before Christmas. I have learned so much from the VA forums about the carry laws in VA. I am hoping to continue getting advice and learning about GA carry laws from this forum. We will be joining georgiacarry.org as soon as we get settled. We both had to get PA non resident permits so we could carry until we can get our GA permits. There are alot of meet and greets in VA, does anyone in ever have any of these type of meetings. Looking forward to getting settled in and joining the fight to protect our 2A rights in the great state of GA.

The Sammons Family

Owen, Amanda, and Austin (14yo)

aadvark

Sammonds Family:

Unfortunately..., The Carry Laws in Georgia are MORE Restrictive than The Carry Laws in Virginia.

However..., This may Change soon!

Review Georgia Code 16-11-127(b).

aadvark

paramedic

I have beel looking through some of the available web sites, but I can not find answers to some of my questions.

1. Is GA a must inform state
2. Do you need proof of a firearms course
3. Dang it, I forgot the other question......:confused:

Fallschirjmäger

I have beel looking through some of the available web sites, but I can not find answers to some of my questions.

1. Is GA a must inform state
2. Do you need proof of a firearms course
3. Dang it, I forgot the other question......:confused:
1. Nope.
2. No
3. Yes, but it must be notarized by your family physician.

paramedic

Greetings from Jesup, we aren't far apart, may see you around. We have a group of guys that pretty much all oc who get together once or twice a month in the Jesup / Baxley / Blackshear area. When I get a call with the date and time, I'll post it on here for you. I'm the only member of that group that is on this site though.

Thank you, I would love to get together with others. I was actually born in Jesup. I will keep looking for info on a meet and greet.

OPS MARINE

My return...

I have also returned to GA, and was met with an immedeate flurry of back-asswards-ness. However, once it was straightened out, I obtained a Driver License, and I have completed the CCW procedure.

paramedic

I have been corrected. In Georgia, it's a GWP (Georgia Weapon Permit). It does however allow the owner to carry a concealed weapon. And to answer the question more directly, a CCW is a permit for Carry of a Concealed Weapon.

It can be confusing, in VA it is call a CHP, concealed handgun permit, but I think in general anytime some uses any combination of usually 3 letters, it can be assumed that it is some kind of conceal carry permit.

Kingfish

It can be confusing, in VA it is call a CHP, concealed handgun permit, but I think in general anytime some uses any combination of usually 3 letters, it can be assumed that it is some kind of conceal carry permit.
Georgia issues neither a "permit" nor a permission slip for the concealing of a firearm.

Georgia issues a LICENSE granting the holder the privilege to carry a "weapon". Thus a Weapons Carry License. GWL/GWCL

There are a great many states that do not license the right to carry a firearm openly. Thus those states that require a license/permit for carrying a firearm concealed will issue a license/permit for that activity. Georgia law requires one possess a license anytime a "weapon" is carried outside ones home/vehicle/place of business openly or concealed.

A "weapon" in Georgia is a handgun or a knife (over 5").

So, CCL/CCW/HCP/CPL/CHL/CHP are all incorrect in Georgia. There really is a difference.