• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

The Airframer

No, no no no! please do not do purse carry,

Its not a purse! Its a satchel.. Indiana Jones carries one... hahaha! No it would be for my wife's purse, I don't carry one. Why are the classes so against purse carry? I know these guys that sew parachutes and all that fun stuff, I can get them to sew a little downward pointing holster within so she'll always know muzzle direction.

Glockster

Its not a purse! Its a satchel.. Indiana Jones carries one... hahaha! No it would be for my wife's purse, I don't carry one. Why are the classes so against purse carry? I know these guys that sew parachutes and all that fun stuff, I can get them to sew a little downward pointing holster within so she'll always know muzzle direction.

Actual mileage may vary (meaning this is just what the instructor that I had mentioned)....but in the class that I took back then several reasons were given:
1) Lack of control of the gun causing the gun to shift and result in something other than the muzzle pointing in a safe(r) direction. Mitigated by using a purse specifically designed for concealed carry (with provisions for securing the gun in position).
2) Lack of safety in securing the gun. Something rolling around in the purse gets caught against the trigger which could be very bad if you carry "ready." Mitigated by not carrying "ready" but that adds time to retrieve and draw the weapon.
3) Inability to quickly and safely access the weapon. Purses sometimes get filled with lots of things, including things that would restrict the ability to quickly and easily draw the weapon without having to first remove a pen, etc. from the trigger guard. Guns can get caught on purse linings and such making it difficult or dangerous to draw a weapon quickly.
4) Purses are targeted by purse snatchers....most purses lack a metal cable running through the strap which means that they can easily be cut off, taking the purse and the gun.
5) Easy to forget that the gun is in the purse, which could result in carrying it someplace where it is illegal to carry.

OC'ing eliminates many/most of the above issues.

Added: Forgot one -- 6) Most women never keep their purses in their hands/on shoulders ALL the time. Which means that eventually it will be hanging on the back of a chair or under a desk or wherever. Purses don't lock. And all it takes is one time of forgetting that the gun is also in there, or walking away from it in an emergency moment...and you may find your gun gone or in the hands of someone who shouldn't have it (kids, etc.). Add to that, you could also then find yourself in legal trouble for failing to properly secure a firearm.

Last edited:

The Airframer

Actual mileage may vary (meaning this is just what the instructor that I had mentioned)....

I find all of these reasons not to carry in the purse very valid and meaningful. If I can't convince her with these reasons, then maybe carrying without one chambered in her purse would be able to meet in the middle. She's not wild about open carry, at least having a gun with a loaded magazine would be better then the 10 pounds of god-knows-what she carries now. Might not make for the quickest draw but at least she'd be able to draw if she needed to. Just by keeping her purse cleaned out would alleviate the snag factor. Nothing she can really do about the purse snatcher other than raise her situation awareness. I've been big on pointing out where we can and can't carry, as I carry everywhere possible and am quick to point out the "No Firearms" signs anywhere we see them. I don't think she'd ever overlook the fact that she's packing.

45acpForMe

OC-ed to Dick's, Farm Fresh, Olive Garden, Anchor Pool yesterday no issues.

As far as purse carry you see the reasons against it but women have a unique challenge with their usually tight fitting pocketless wardrobe. If they aren't going to OC, CC becomes a challenge with belly, thigh carry being an option. I would say that responsible purse carry is better than leaving it at home but the key word is responsible. It is often the aim of the bad guy to separate the purse from her and they have the advantage to strike at their opportunity. So being aware of the arguments against just be careful.

While she gets comfortable carrying "at all" I would work on her to try to OC. Remember the two main things I like about OC are the quickness/ease of access when needed and possibly more importantly the proactive deterrant affect which may make it uneeded in the first place. I have my work cut out for me convincing my daughters to OC. So far they both seem more comfortable with CC but will have to wait until they are 21 for a CHP unless we can get the laws changed and push constitutional carry.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

Because the purse/bag/man bag is where your valuables are and thats what people want to steal. Keep your firearms on your body.

kangaroo holster I have, its good for women also.

Last edited:

mk4

I find all of these reasons not to carry in the purse very valid and meaningful. If I can't convince her with these reasons, then maybe carrying without one chambered in her purse would be able to meet in the middle. She's not wild about open carry, at least having a gun with a loaded magazine would be better then the 10 pounds of god-knows-what she carries now. Might not make for the quickest draw but at least she'd be able to draw if she needed to. Just by keeping her purse cleaned out would alleviate the snag factor. Nothing she can really do about the purse snatcher other than raise her situation awareness. I've been big on pointing out where we can and can't carry, as I carry everywhere possible and am quick to point out the "No Firearms" signs anywhere we see them. I don't think she'd ever overlook the fact that she's packing.

If you can't convince her to OC or CC on her person, in a high quality holster completely covering the trigger and guard, then press hard for one of the purpose-designed carry purses. They have a dedicated compartment for the sidearm, generally negating any possibility of something snagging a clean draw or engaging the trigger unintendedly. She'll need to practice presentations from it just like we all should be practicing holster presentations. And, as you and others have noted, she'll need to be vigilant not only about her person, but also about where her purse is. As she gets more comfortable carrying, the risk of complacency rises. I've been carrying a good while now, and while I've become quite comfortable doing so, the weight on my belt is always there. Both the physical presence and the responsibility that goes with it.

Be safe, and as Jim says, "carry every day".

Glockster

I've been carrying a good while now, and while I've become quite comfortable doing so, the weight on my belt is always there. Both the physical presence and the responsibility that goes with it.

An excellent point and one that works for me as well. I use a fobus paddle holster (have one for each of my guns with the exception of my Draco) so I get a different kind of weight/feel to it, but one thing that I find is really good for keeping me aware of my surroundings is the actual feel of the gun as I tend to position my forearm against it (and don't swing it as much as my other side). Just having that "feel" against my arm is a regular reminder while OC'ing to pay attention and to be thinking both one step ahead and responsibly.

The Airframer

OC'd today @ walmart on Lynnhaven

All great points arising, but the clothes she wears will not conceal much, she might at well have it strapped to a hat if she tried to conceal it on her person. It would protrude immensely defying the purpose. I love the idea of the specially made purse and training her up with that. Might be a bit delayed though because she thought it was a great idea to spend 240 bucks on some mary kay, that was her browning points.... Looks like the next firepower gain will be the remington 700 model 270 win. We'll be waiting at least a daggum year for VA to mail the CHP anyhow:banghead:! It'll be hunting season again before that happens! Anyone know where I can I find these special purses and does anyone recommend anyone in particular?

mk4

All great points arising, but the clothes she wears will not conceal much, she might at well have it strapped to a hat if she tried to conceal it on her person. It would protrude immensely defying the purpose. I love the idea of the specially made purse and training her up with that. Might be a bit delayed though because she thought it was a great idea to spend 240 bucks on some mary kay, that was her browning points.... Looks like the next firepower gain will be the remington 700 model 270 win. We'll be waiting at least a daggum year for VA to mail the CHP anyhow:banghead:! It'll be hunting season again before that happens! Anyone know where I can I find these special purses and does anyone recommend anyone in particular?

I've seen this company advertise in the gun magazines, but know nothing about them:
http://www.guntotenmamas.com/

MagiK_SacK

When I applied for my CHP I received it in just about a month so you might not have to wait as long as you think. I was thinking about CC for you wife. Have you heard of the flashbang? http://www.flashbangholster.com/Flashbang_Holster/Welcome.html It might be something to have her consider rather than in her purse. My wife has seen it and plans on getting one when she gets her CHP.

Glockster

utyszkij

OC'd yesterday to gss in norfolk, WallyWorld off princess anne and lynnhaven and then the other wal mart off lynnhaven near the mall..wawa..had an eye appointment at national optometry off north mall road and lynnhaven, took it off for there and I think I'm missing somewhere else. No issues, beautiful day.. I had my smarthphones recorder running every second I was carrying.

Last edited:

GreatDaneMan

OC'd yesterday to gss in norfolk, WallyWorld off princess anne and lynnhaven and then the other wal mart off lynnhaven near the mall..wawa..had an eye appointment at national optometry off north mall road and lynnhaven, took it off for there and I think I'm missing somewhere else. No issues, beautiful day.. I had my smarthphones recorder running every second I was carrying.

I use Dictadroid. Great little program when used on a belt holster. Figure I would put this out there again.

No OC lately. All CC. Also, New work = No firearms on property...by employees. OC Public is fine. Go figure, I cant even OC at the locations that I used to all the time.

DJEEPER

Have not posted here in a while as my OC and CC have been identical from day to day.

Open carry at work, to subway, on the motorcycle, etc.

Tonight i OC'ed at subway, Wal-mart, Dicks Sporting Goods (to get my check) and around town on the bike.

Still calm around here :)

45acpForMe

Have not posted here in a while as my OC and CC have been identical from day to day.

Open carry at work, to subway, on the motorcycle, etc.

Tonight i OC'ed at subway, Wal-mart, Dicks Sporting Goods (to get my check) and around town on the bike.

Still calm around here :)

Don't worry as May approaches your nerves will get a good stress test. :) Remember that weddings are largely for the bride and guests so consider yourself lucky if you enjoy the day. At the end of the day if you are married it was a success, anything else is a plus!

ETA: OC-ed at Pierce's BBQ Pit, Atlantic Coast Tumbling, Subway, PTC (Bath & Bodyworks, Pink, Hollister, Deliahs, Aeropostle)

Outside B&BW I handed out two OC info cards and talked to three men about OC and VA state laws. Inside Hollister a woman asked me about my gun and we talked about OC. She said she carried mase. In each case they asked me if I was LEO and were surprised to find out I was simply a Dad shopping with my girls. Overall a nice day.

Last edited:

Glockster

OC'd to Lowes....again. That's five days out of the past seven. Been building a wall. At this point after having seen pretty much all the folks working in the landscaping area nobody even blinks as I OC and slowly stack rocks on my cart...40 per cart, five trips.

45acpForMe

OC'd to Lowes....again. That's five days out of the past seven. Been building a wall. At this point after having seen pretty much all the folks working in the landscaping area nobody even blinks as I OC and slowly stack rocks on my cart...40 per cart, five trips.

Make it high enough for concealment and thick enough for cover. :) Then again if it is something an attacking enemy would use for those purposes discretely plant some clamores nearby. :)

OC-ed to Food Lion, Farm Fresh, Rite Aid and now to KFC. :)

GreatDaneMan

OC'ed today at the ocean front on atlantic ave. Mahi-mah's parking lot. Met up with a guy off craigslist. Reasons I got weird looks. 1: We parked in the valet parking lot for a minute, 2: I was open carrying, 3: guy came to my truck when I pulled up and I handed him two beers (part of the trade, for laughs), 4: I was carrying a fullsize truck bumper across the parking lot in front of the place back to my truck.

:lol: Valet guys were laughing.