• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ads in the first post

protias

I don't know about anyone else, but for me the ads show up in the first post of each thread. These ads also cover up part of the sentence so it makes it hard to read. Is there a way to fix this?

eye95

If you have trouble reading a post, quote it and read the quote. Just be careful not to hit the submit button (unless you really mean to reply).

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about anyone else, but for me the ads show up in the first post of each thread. These ads also cover up part of the sentence so it makes it hard to read. Is there a way to fix this?

I do have Google ads set up to show in the first post. However, the text of the post should NOT be covered by the ad???

I will be glad to help work on this. What OS and browser (including versions) are you using?

Thanks!

John

WCrawford

I do have Google ads set up to show in the first post. However, the text of the post should NOT be covered by the ad???

I will be glad to help work on this. What OS and browser (including versions) are you using?

Thanks!

John

The ad may cover some of the posting (depending on length) but there is a scroll box for the first post (window within window type thing). I have this using both FireFox (at home)/Vista and Internet Exploder (at work)/XP Pro.

since9

Campaign Veteran

It'd be fine if the ad appeared above the first post text, as that would just push the text down. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Instead, appears to the right, and squishes the text into a tiny little column.

That's acceptable if my browser window is the only one open, but I'm usually in two-up mode, referencing one resource while I work on a document or page. This works with 95% of all websites. Unfortunately, with the ads positioned the way they are, this doesn't work.

Windows Vista / IE 8.something or other (the latest), but I have the same issue with Firefox.

Thanks!

John

No! Thank you! Hope it's a simple fix involving frame position/priority.

protias

At work I use XP with IE7 and was having the issue yesterday. At home, I use Firefox 3.6.12 and do not see the issue. I looked at a few threads with IE7 and don't see the issue either. Did you fix it? :)

eye95

There is a work-around for Firefox users that always works. However, I won't post it in the open. If you PM me, I'll explain why I won't post the solution in the open and how it works.

Normally, I have my inbox set to only accept PMs from contacts and friends. I'll open it up until tonight, after which I'll close it back down to continue to block the harassing PMs some are wont to send.