• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to the Governor

firedog

I found this letter somewhere not sure where. It may have been a reply to the Hammer article trashing Florida carry.org. This letter should be echoed as quickly as possible to Scott's office. I wrote one but not nearly as well written as this one. I want to buy this guy a beer or a box of ammo...

My letter to Gov. Scott:
As a Lifetime NRA member, I ask you to veto the misleading “open carry” bill

Dear Governor Scott,
During your campaign you vowed to sign an “open carry” bill if one was approved by the legislature. No such bill was passed, although one passed through every required Senate and House Committee. But on the floor of the Senate, special interests, using dubious procedural mechanisms, drastically changed this bill. It no longer protects open carry–in fact it explicitly says it is illegal. Instead, it establishes arbitrary and capricious standards to be applied by law enforcement officers in the field which put law-abiding gun owners in peril of arrest. Perhaps, after the cost and trauma of a trial, these innocent gun owners might prevail under this new law. But this hardly seems to comport with the dignity that should be afforded to a citizen’s rights under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, as well as Article I, Sec. 8 of the Florida Constitution. Can you imagine the outrage if the First Amendment were so treated, such as with a prior restraint power presumed lawful?

This bill denigrates the Second Amendment and law abiding gun owners. It is worse than nothing. If you veto this bill, the law abiding gun owners of this state will return next year–an election year, I might add–to let their representatives know that the Second Amendment should not be treated as an inconvenient afterthought. But if this bill becomes law, the prospects for open carry in Florida–lawful in 43 other states–are immeasurably dimmed. The Legislature, under the same baneful influence of the same special interests, will now say, falsely, “We’ve changed the law your benefit–those not satisfied are extremists.” And the anti-gun press will obligingly peddle this story. For gun owners this is deja vu from 1986, when an otherwise welcomed piece of gun legislation was before Congress–when, at the last minute, under very suspect circumstances, Democrat-demanded provisions regarding automatic weapons were inserted. And they have not been able to be undone in the quarter century since. Indeed, anyone who questions them now is labeled “an extremist”, although law abiding gun owners acted responsibly without them for decades prior. This is how rights are eroded.

When you declined to accept the Obama adminstration’s high speed rail funds, we supported you and your courage. In fact, in your campaign, gun owners were perhaps your greatest supporters, and we hope to be so again in 3 more years. Please, support us and do not bless this dirty, ill-conceived compromise. As it did in 1986, the NRA will try to save face and will support this bill. It was wrong then and it will be wrong now. Please listen to the rank and file gun owners of Florida who will have to live under this bad law.

[NAME]
Sunrise, Florida
[Phone number]
NRA Life Member
Registered Republican

77zach

I found this letter somewhere not sure where. It may have been a reply to the Hammer article trashing Florida carry.org. This letter should be echoed as quickly as possible to Scott's office. I wrote one but not nearly as well written as this one. I want to buy this guy a beer or a box of ammo...

Email sent.

Sadly, he'll sign it. If he were really a friend of the right to bear arms, he'd veto this piece of crap and urge lawmakers to pass real open carry. He won't. If he vetoes, the anti-gun media headline won't be he did for good reasons. He'll be seen as anti-gun and anti-NRA.

cforlizzo

Email sent.

Sadly, he'll sign it. If he were really a friend of the right to bear arms, he'd veto this piece of crap and urge lawmakers to pass real open carry. He won't. If he vetoes, the anti-gun media headline won't be he did for good reasons. He'll be seen as anti-gun and anti-NRA.

Sent

Rick H

Email sent.

He'll be seen as anti-gun and anti-NRA.
Not if he gives reason. Not If he makes a public statement that/or why he is vetoing this bill that it is not what it was intended to be in the first place, a open carry bill that would have put the State Of Florida in the right direction toward
( A Constitutionally Correct state ) . He would even look like a hero to the 2nd amendment and the supporters of the constitution.
I don't think he really cares what the left has to say about anything, Just like the speed-rail. Which I did NOT support either. But that is a different issue all together.

Last edited:

firedog

Sending a message to the Governor telling him to veto a bill that is not final, and may yet be amended again: Brilliant!
You know, I never thought FL would ever bring back open carry.

I was content with concealed carry.

I have sub compact concealable handguns. I rarely go onto college campuses. I don’t buy long guns that often. I have a safe in my car and lockable cases for my guns. Then I see this bill called “open carry” and I think “hey, they are actually considering open carry. Let’s see what I can do to help”.

I join Florida Carry, I send them money. I sign petitions. I start participating on the forums. I start communicating with my senators on the issue. I start conversing with people that ask why open carry. I start recruiting pro gun supporters.

All of a sudden wham! Than every email I get returned by my elected representative and my favorite gun advocacy group tells me that this was never about “open carry”.

I felt like Demi Moore in G.I. Jane, “than why the “F” did you start me on this, the answer: I never thought you’d do so damn well”. PERFECT, we did so damn well that they had to wait until the final hour when our allies colluded against us with dubious procedural mechanisms to stick it to us in the shorts. Why didn’t Hammer get Boogie to present that amendment in committee? Ask yourself that, I know why.

Now I got the same people that say they were with me, telling me how stupid I am for letting my representatives know my disappointment. I show them an opportunity to make it right in the final minute, not the final hour and I get “Brilliant”. I get the “take it easy, calm down, we’ll get them next year” speech. Send us some more money and we’ll do better next year. Don’t alienate our so called allies that screwed us this time because we may need them next year”.

That didn't work for TX and they had to do it on the own.

Things that make you go Hummm!!!!!

Last edited:

j4l

I have sub compact concealable handguns. I rarely go onto college campuses. I don’t buy long guns that often. I have a safe in my car and lockable cases for my guns. Then I see this bill called “open carry” and I think “hey, they are actually considering open carry. Let’s see what I can do to help”.

I join Florida Carry, I send them money. I sign petitions. I star participating on the forums. I start communicating with my senators on the issue. I start conversing with people that ask why open carry. I start recruiting pro gun supporters.

All of a sudden wham! Than every email I get returned by my elected representative and my favorite gun advocacy group tells me that this was never about “open carry”.

I felt like Demi Moore in G.I. Jane, “than why the “F” did you start me on this, the answer: I never thought you’d do so damn well”. PERFECT, we did so damn well that they had to wait until the final hour when our allies colluded against us with dubious procedural mechanisms to stick it to us in the shorts. Why didn’t Hammer get Boogie to present that amendment in committee? Ask yourself that, I know why.

Now I got the same people that say they were with me, telling me how stupid I am for letting my representatives know my disappointment. I show them an opportunity to make it right in the final minute, not the final hour and I get “Brilliant”. I get the “take it easy, calm down, we’ll get them next year” speech. Send us some more money and we’ll do better next year. Don’t alienate our so called allies that screwed us this time because we may need them next year”.

Lol, right??!?!?!?

Make up your minds,people. Do you want your rights restored, yes or no? It really IS that simple, at the end of the day.

Is this message board called OCDO? Or is it titled "Maybe someday I can buy a Rifle in Missouri" ? "Or Can I please have non-recycled Bedding Materials?" Wtf, over?

If yes, then are you wanting to hinge your hopes of restoring those long-denied rights on a bunch of spineless,corrupted,back-stabbing sheep in an office in Tally?
Or would you prefer to seek folks more inclined to honestly represent you in that office, in order to increase your chance-hopefully- at getting those rights restored?

Last edited:

Rich7553

I join Florida Carry, I send them money. I sign petitions. I star participating on the forums. I start communicating with my senators on the issue. I start conversing with people that ask why open carry. I start recruiting pro gun supporters.

Which group are you talking about here? I don't believe Florida Carry ever sent anything that said SB 234 was about anything other than open carry.

In fact, if you review the podcasts or videos from the committee hearings, you'll find that Ryan Ramsay, Jim Dykes, Ken Hosey, and Eric Friday (who represented Florida Carry and Opencarry.org) specifically used talking points OTHER THAN inadvertent exposure, including the stellar law-abiding record of license holders across the last 23 years.

brboyer

Your comprehension issues have nothing to do the the legislature, the NRA, USF, or any other advocacy group.