• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about the 10 round limit.

DoubleAgentMan

Activist Member
So from what I read they are not legal unless you owned them in CA before the ban. If you did own them before could you sell them to someone who did not? And how would they go about verifying that you did. Would you need a receipt or something like that?

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I'm assuming you're talking about the ban on magazines capable of holding more than 10-rounds. If the magazines were owned by you in California prior to January 1, 2000 then you can take them in and out of California legally. If you own legal magazines you can sell them to a person not in California, but you can't sell them to a California resident (unless the person is licensed under 12071 or is a cop or something). You COULD break down the magazine into a rebuild kit and sell that to a friend, but it would be unlawful for him to assemble it unless he was rebuilding a magazine that he legally owned.

mjones

I'm assuming you're talking about the ban on magazines capable of holding more than 10-rounds. If the magazines were owned by you in California prior to January 1, 2000 then you can take them in and out of California legally. If you own legal magazines you can sell them to a person not in California, but you can't sell them to a California resident (unless the person is licensed under 12071 or is a cop or something). You COULD break down the magazine into a rebuild kit and sell that to a friend, but it would be unlawful for him to assemble it unless he was rebuilding a magazine that he legally owned.

Actually its not particularly clear if its possible to sell them to someone out of state...easily.

The problem stems that its a crime to 'offer to sell' while in California. The only option is to leave CA in order to sell (or advertise to sell) them.

Its easier - as you point out - to disassemble them into parts and sell them as a repair kit.

Army

I am in no way advocating breaking the law. However, there is absolutely no way to know when the magazine was made, regardless of any dates stamped (as long as it was for a firearm offered to the public prior to 2000). There is also a 3 year statute of limitations on pre-2000 magazine styles.

Date stamping only tells when the body was made, not the REPAIRED pre-2000 magazine.

jus sayin'