• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Schools go into lockdown after volunteer asks to 'open carry' handgun

notalawyer

Again, where has that been said??

You may assume it, it is suggested by the article, but it has certainly not been clearly stated that I've seen.

Carrie Sharp, WNEM TV5 news anchor and the reporter in the video story. :banghead:

notalawyer

Where in the media has that been said?? (and is it accurate?)

From the article:
Millington Schools Superintendent John Males tells WNEM.com that a woman who is a volunteer with the district went to Kirk Early Elementary and asked to open carry a handgun in the school.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Carrie Sharp, WNEM TV5 news anchor and the reporter in the video story. :banghead:
Fair enough. Thank you.

I'm used to the text of a story matching the video, as is the case around these parts.

That being the case, I'll trust TheQ's statement about lots of inaccuracies in the story - especially since I have personal knowledge of multiple instances of same with other stories.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
From the article: Millington Schools Superintendent John Males tells WNEM.com that a woman who is a volunteer with the district went to Kirk Early Elementary and asked to open carry a handgun in the school.
Asking to OC a gun doesn't mean that one has a gun with them - although, as you pointed out, the video goes further than the text in respect to that matter.

notalawyer

Fair enough. Thank you.

I'm used to the text of a story matching the video, as is the case around these parts.

That being the case, I'll trust TheQ's statement about lots of inaccuracies in the story - especially since I have personal knowledge of multiple instances of same with other stories.

This is why I asked. There are really only two points in either the video or the text:
She asked to open carry (it has been reported the she was open carrying at the time) and the school went into lock down.

How can that possibly translate into "lots of inaccuracies"? Did they get the name of the school wrong? or the individual involved? Did they get the day it happened wrong? etc.

Raggs

This is why I asked. There are really only two points in either the video or the text:
She asked to open carry (it has been reported the she was open carrying at the time) and the school went into lock down.

How can that possibly translate into "lots of inaccuracies"? Did they get the name of the school wrong? or the individual involved? Did they get the day it happened wrong? etc.

I think that is a fair question, I look forward to the answer to it.

OC for ME

The district put all of its buildings into a "modified" lockdown as a security precaution until Males and Tuscola County Prosecutor Mark Reene had determined that the woman was off school property.
She asked, it does not say that she was. The school "locked down" until she was off school property.....hmm.....why would they lock down the school, even partially, if she were unarmed. Because, even the mention of the word gun is enough to send bed wetters running to trap little kids in state provided kill zones.

ken243

Al, it appears she entered the school to ask permission while wearing an openly carried pistol on her hip. BTW, the school does not violate the law by going into "lockdown", the school did violate the law by saying she can't openly carry her pistol in the school, despite her showing them her CPL.

Locking down a school for the lawful actions of another is indeed a violation of law. Disturbing the peace. The core problem is more than likely discriminatory. If she entered the school with a lighter attached to a necklace are they going to pull the fire alarm? Exact same principal.

22Luke36

Lockdowns are becoming more and more common as schools continue to look for ways to(indoctrinate)...um sorry, EDUCATE, and increase safety for the kids.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
DrTodd -while I know your post comes from a well meaning place, it is akin to saying since a local mayor is constitutionally elected they will of course appoint a police chief who will instruct their officers to follow the law,and not attempt to enforce policy/opinion as law. Sorry, life has taught me that rarely happens. Usually the opposite occurs, a lacky is placed that will do the bidding of the boss man. I suspect school boards are not much different. They are usually comprised of people (union /supplier/ etc ties) staging to move up the political ladder, not well meaning folk who want to do the right thing for the school district and the parents/kids they serve. Any idiot can get elected to a school board for less than $5,000 & city council seats go for about $10,000 from what I've seen. As to the video, of course they interview the ghetto rat from Flint. They looked at him and said there's our anti, roll tape!

Sorry to be a kill joy. But the poop head politician factory cranks them out in hoards at the local level. Sadly, where most people don't watch nor vote. These poop heads only grow stronger as the as they move to the state houses & eventually the halls of congress & the white house. Want to stop weeds, rip them out in your own back yard, before they have a chance to spread. Or we get the government we deserve.... :(

I don't see where I said any such thing regarding mayor's et al. In fact, your example lends support to my contention. If the behavior is condoned, it perpetuates. If it is not condoned by the minion's superiors, the behavior will change sooner or later. If the board heard from 200 parents saying that what happened was ridiculous, policy would change. If the principal were to act contrary to board policy, the principal would no longer be employed.

Last edited:

22Luke36

Another example from a different thread.

I received a recorded message from my kids school today. The Davison school district went into lock-down today because someone called 911 and reported seeing a man walking down Lapeer Rd. carrying a gun. The police say that they believe it was a false report because they never found anyone. For those of you who are not familiar with the Davison area, where this supposed man with a gun was reported walking is around 1,000 yards away from any school.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Locking down a school for the lawful actions of another is indeed a violation of law. Disturbing the peace. The core problem is more than likely discriminatory. If she entered the school with a lighter attached to a necklace are they going to pull the fire alarm? Exact same principal.

Cite? Does Michigan even have a "Disturbing the Peace" violation under state law?

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

I know that, but the statement was that a "lockdown" in response to legal behavior was "Disturbing the Peace"...no such state law in Mich. as far as I know. I would like to see where one of the "lock downs" that have been for otherwise legal activity I've been reading about has resulted in a school official being prosecuted for "Disturbing the Peace",,,or even MCL 750.170 Disturbance of lawful meeting. OK, I'd even accept a news story from a local paper that a school official was charged with ANYTHING after calling for a Lockdown which is later determined to be based upon an otherwise legal activity.

Last edited: