• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shoulder vs drop leg holster

Raggs

Last edited:

Grim_Night

This...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-Quick-Disconnect-Kit-2-Female1-Male,1239,82.htm

plus this...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wMatte-Finish,1145,1410.htm

plus this...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Serpa-Combo-Kit,84,1416.htm

equals carry any way you so choose.

I personally have the shoulder harness and belt (hip) setup with the quick disconnect attachments so that I can carry on my hip open carry style and if I "need" to carry concealed, I can easily just shift to the shoulder harness (assuming I'm wearing the harness).

Raggs

This...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-Quick-Disconnect-Kit-2-Female1-Male,1239,82.htm

plus this...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wMatte-Finish,1145,1410.htm

plus this...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Serpa-Combo-Kit,84,1416.htm

equals carry any way you so choose.

I personally have the shoulder harness and belt (hip) setup with the quick disconnect attachments so that I can carry on my hip open carry style and if I "need" to carry concealed, I can easily just shift to the shoulder harness (assuming I'm wearing the harness).

thanks for the reply, sadly my Taurus and Blackhawk Serpa do not get along.

SD40VE

at grocery store people will think you are a cop with a galco shoulder rig. they will think you are either swat or some nut job with a drop leg

Bernymac

I'd go with a shoulder holster for comfort. When I was younger, I preferred the ease of use (not to mention the cool factor) of the drop leg holster until we started walking for a few miles at a time and changed the perspective of a few guys in our unit. That holster bouncing around your leg with every step for a few hours is not fun.

Last edited:

g21sfpistol

Banned
Which one do you think would be better for open carry? Which one would likely cause more of a stir at the local grocery store?

A shoulder holster like this
http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/galco_miami2.jpg

Or a drop leg holster like this
http://images.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/5/Safariland-6004-77-122-rw-25581-867.jpg

I am not looking at getting another holster I own the two pictured.

Thanks

im amazed the moderators allowed this post to stay up. you are debating on what rig to carry to cause a stir? you seriously shouldnt be carrying, along with the people who are replying helping you figure out what holster you should get. do we not carry for defensive purposes? carrying just to cause a stir is out right negligent.

Gallowmere

Personally, I'd take the shoulder holster. I am considering getting one myself, just due to the fact that I spend more time in vehicles than out of them, and from a seated position, the benefits to both comfort, and draw time seems quite large.

Raggs

im amazed the moderators allowed this post to stay up. you are debating on what rig to carry to cause a stir? you seriously shouldnt be carrying, along with the people who are replying helping you figure out what holster you should get. do we not carry for defensive purposes? carrying just to cause a stir is out right negligent.

OR, I want to know which would cause more of a stir so that I could opt for the other choice. If I felt the shoulder holster would cause more of a stir I would opt for the drop leg. Hopefully that clarifies it for you.

g21sfpistol

Banned
OR, I want to know which would cause more of a stir so that I could opt for the other choice. If I felt the shoulder holster would cause more of a stir I would opt for the drop leg. Hopefully that clarifies it for you.

the way you had it worded made it sound like you wanted to start a stir. my apologies.

southernredneck1

My every day carry is a drop leg from Outbaggs. Get a lot of looks, but nobody has ever mentioned anything about it. I guess if you carry one way or the other enough in public, the wow factor goes away.

3FULLMAGS+1

I carry in the way thats most comf'y to me (if it's not comf'y it ends up not being carried) that's how it is with me. As for drawing attantion to myself, that's up to others around me. If others want to make an issue of it, let'em.......I don't really think much about that anymore, BUT, too answer your question, the drop leg will probably draw more attention IMO. And as mentioned above, I tried a drop leg holster before that I borrowed to carry a 4" 1911 and the gun moved around way too much when walking around, no matter how tight it was, and if you had to pick it up a bit (running/jogging) well.....just my .02.

Aknazer

I see a lot of people with that Galco holster while deployed and I'm not a fan of it. Unless you have a strap that secures it around your chest it likes to flop around. As for the drop leg, I prefer these. They can flop around if you don't properly set them up, but when properly set up this isn't an issue. Personally I wear mine (it is a blackhawk Y style instead of a safariland single-strap style) a little bit loose so that it doesn't feel like the straps are cutting into my leg, but still tight enough that it stays in the same spot unless running. One of the other nice things about a drop leg is you can get a quick disconnect system to be able to move the gun (such as in your car) without ever taking it out of the holster.

In regards to which one will cause more of a stir, it is hard to say without you trying both and seeing peoples reactions. Personally I think the shoulder holster will because it puts the gun closer to eye level with people. Both are even more non-traditional than simply OCing the gun on your hip, so I think that either one is more likely to draw attention than standard hip carry.

EDIT: Note that I only OC with the drop leg while deployed. When at home I would use a paddle holster. Also given the location of my current home station I can't carry at all currently (though if I can get a permit I'll be restricted to CC only outside of certain circumstances).

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm not a fan of shoulder holsters, except for large revolvers. But I absolutely hate dropped thigh holsters, so the shoulder holster wins.

But what I think is not nearly as important as what you think.

The thigh rig is the more noticeable (especially from a distance) of the two because it adds a distinct "gun" to your silhouette.

Last edited:

40/40EagleEye

I've been really considering a shoulder setup with a strap to keep it from moving around. The drop holster is too "tactical" for most general citizens to accept and not make a big deal out of. With a shoulder holster up get the versatility of carrying in a car and USUALLY detectives are the ones open carrying with a shoulder setup. So people will assume. Especially if you make a habit of wearing button down shirts or a polo