• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge order no firearms for three years

garyl43

I was subject to a bogus restraining order three years ago (1 year no contact, three years no firearms), the three years ended yesterday and I was wondering if I can now just purchase a handgun or is there something more I have to do in Utah?

Dario

I was subject to a bogus restraining order three years ago (1 year no contact, three years no firearms), the three years ended yesterday and I was wondering if I can now just purchase a handgun or is there something more I have to do in Utah?

I would imagine you're either going to pass the NCIC or not. If the three years are up you can answer no to the restraining order question. If they deny you then you have a recourse through the court.

garyl43

There was no arrest, just an angry wife that tryed to say I was stalking her because she texted me while I was at the bank making a deposit across the street at my bank. I left the bank and saw her at the gas station and stopped to tell her not to text me anymore. She then followed me through town to get the license plate number off my 49cc scooter (she was in a 10,000 lb van...). Next thing the cops show up! I was able to show the judge the deposit slip and time that happened to be the exact same moment she texted me lol! But she told the judge I had numerous guns and a big knive collection (I own a knife sharpening business...), I gave the judge my card but he still granted her part of what she wanted on the order (no contact, no home and no work visits, which I never did anyhow) but no firearms for three years? Friggin' women...

Anyhow I don't want to get in trouble for trying to purchase a firearm if something more needs to be done?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Goofy judge .. I bet he never even sent your business any customers either.

Based on what is here, I cannot say that you can or cannot own or possess a gun as the law is interpreted by the gov't today.

I have not seen any court order or memo...nor anything other than is written here and these are complicated issues.

i don't how a judge can order a 3 yr prohibition on possession and ownership of an instrument vital to your self defense.
But is that just me? Guys in black robes ... they say the funniest things.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned

In Utah, contact our BCI (http://bci.utah.gov/ , (801) 965-4445 or email to DPSFIREARMS@utah.gov) and simply ask them.

Utah BCI is generally very good to work with on these types of questions and should be able to provide you an answer on whether you are good to go or whether you need something official from the courts. You might have the judge's official order paperwork handy when you call if possible.

Charles

garyl43

Goofy judge .. I bet he never even sent your business any customers either.

Based on what is here, I cannot say that you can or cannot own or possess a gun as the law is interpreted by the gov't today.

I have not seen any court order or memo...nor anything other than is written here and these are complicated issues.

i don't how a judge can order a 3 yr prohibition on possession and ownership of an instrument vital to your self defense.
But is that just me? Guys in black robes ... they say the funniest things.

That's for sure! I think in today's political climate these judges are more worried about covering their own behinds than our rights. She had been previously arrested for domestic violence for which she had to take anger management and I had called for a civil standby a couple times when she came by to get her stuff because she was so out of control, the police kept telling her to shut up while asking me about my sharpening services, I give public servants a discount and when I gave the cops my card it really set her off lol!

I'll contact BCI, thanks guys!

countryclubjoe

That's for sure! I think in today's political climate these judges are more worried about covering their own behinds than our rights. She had been previously arrested for domestic violence for which she had to take anger management and I had called for a civil standby a couple times when she came by to get her stuff because she was so out of control, the police kept telling her to shut up while asking me about my sharpening services, I give public servants a discount and when I gave the cops my card it really set her off lol!

I'll contact BCI, thanks guys!

So you were never charged with any crime and you were still denied of your 2A right to protect yourself and your property? This makes very little sense, you could have easily run your ex over with your scooter just as easily has you could of shot her with your weapon... Did you try to appeal the judge's ridiculous ruling?
Unreal.

Regards
CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned
So you were never charged with any crime and you were still denied of your 2A right to protect yourself and your property? This makes very little sense, you could have easily run your ex over with your scooter just as easily has you could of shot her with your weapon... Did you try to appeal the judge's ridiculous ruling?
Unreal.

Regards
CCJ

A little but late to appeal I would think .. 2-3+ years at least.

Dario

Unreal.

Regards
CCJ
All it takes is a restraining order.