• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to cover up

fordguy

I had to take the car in today for the heated seat elements being recalled for possibly catching fire. My son and I walked in to the service department at Tacoma Dodge and was greeted by a service advisor. He started to take my information when a gentleman in slacks and a button up shirt walked by and said; "Your supposed to have that covered up". My response was; "No I'm not". He says; "In this building you are". I say; "Oh, I'm sorry", and cover up my side arm.

I mentioned the slacks and button up shirt because I later saw him sitting in an office in the service department and I do believe he is the service manager.

So, I guess Tacoma Dodge is not OC friendly.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Does Washington's concealed carry prohibition allow some UNIDENTIFIED well dressed person who you THINK is the service manager to over-ride it and allow you to violate the law IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PERMIT?

FMCDH

Without even looking at them, my first response, in a calm voice has been "O, and who are you to say so?"

If they identify themselves as a manager/owner type and give me the "Its our policy..." line I ask, "Is that in writing somewhere you can show me, or do I need to confirm that for myself with your corporate office?"

If they don't have a written policy to show me, I ask if I am being refused service unless I cover up. If they say yes, then I get the "managers/employees name and take my business elsewhere and contact corporate, by phone AND in writing.

Since I CC most of time anyway, and unless it is too warm to be wearing a coat or double shirt (especially inside), this is rarely an issue, and the few times it has been, they almost always back down when asked for their policy in writing.

The few times they don't back down, I follow up and have always gotten an apology form the individual on a return visit.

You will find, that firearms are such a rare issue to come up for most employees and managers/owners of a business, they never really thought about an actual written policy to show a customer, and just make the same mistake many poorly trained LEOs make, and think concealed = concealed.

You will also find, that when faced with such a request from a customer, most will error on the side of caution and leave you alone or very polity request you to cover "for others sake" until they have better clarification on the matter.

There is nothing better than making people educate themselves. :D

Bill Starks

State Researcher
5/28/2009 was the last positive experience that was posted. I know that because I was there OC'ing and looking at a Ram 3500 dually w/ 6 speed manual which I test drove and spent over an hour with the service manager and finance manager working out the details and maintenance issue questions.

amlevin

5/28/2009 was the last positive experience that was posted. I know that because I was there OC'ing and looking at a Ram 3500 dually w/ 6 speed manual which I test drove and spent over an hour with the service manager and finance manager working out the details and maintenance issue questions.

My guess is that you were getting ready to spend somewhere near $40,000 and maybe THAT caused them to accommodate your OC'd pistol. Money speaks with a different voice.

Regardless, private property folks. If they want to make everyone wear pink socks they can. Don't have to patronize them though.

fordguy

You should just avoid this whole mess with Dodge and be a Ford guy.

hahahaha That's pretty funny! It's my wifes Jeep, not mine. I'm sure they wouldn't of said anything at the Ford dealership.

Brimstone said:
Did you take your vehicle to a different dealership?

We've dealt with Larson Jeep before and will never go back there. That is why we were trying Tacoma Dodge out for the first time.

FMCDH said:
Without even looking at them, my first response, in a calm voice has been "O, and who are you to say so?"

If they identify themselves as a manager/owner type and give me the "Its our policy..." line I ask, "Is that in writing somewhere you can show me, or do I need to confirm that for myself with your corporate office?"

If they don't have a written policy to show me, I ask if I am being refused service unless I cover up. If they say yes, then I get the "managers/employees name and take my business elsewhere and contact corporate, by phone AND in writing.

Since I CC most of time anyway, and unless it is too warm to be wearing a coat or double shirt (especially inside), this is rarely an issue, and the few times it has been, they almost always back down when asked for their policy in writing.

The few times they don't back down, I follow up and have always gotten an apology form the individual on a return visit.

You will find, that firearms are such a rare issue to come up for most employees and managers/owners of a business, they never really thought about an actual written policy to show a customer, and just make the same mistake many poorly trained LEOs make, and think concealed = concealed.

You will also find, that when faced with such a request from a customer, most will error on the side of caution and leave you alone or very polity request you to cover "for others sake" until they have better clarification on the matter.

There is nothing better than making people educate themselves.

I'm still fairly new to the whole OC movement. That is why I'm on here trying to educate myself from you folks who aren't as green as I am. lol. Next time I will know to ask a few more questions before I'm so quick to conceal my firearm.

fordguy

Having bought my Ford at the Auburn Scarff Ford dealership and having the oil changed monthly and other service....I have never had a word said in the past year.

I don't ever have to take my ford into the dealership, so I wouldn't know? :lol: My mustang is old enough that I don't need to take it to the dealership. I do all of the work myself. It's a lot cheaper that way too.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I don't ever have to take my ford into the dealership, so I wouldn't know? :lol: My mustang is old enough that I don't need to take it to the dealership. I do all of the work myself. It's a lot cheaper that way too.

Well that is my new one (2007) my older one (1965) only goes to the dealer for shows.

amzbrady

Sorry guys, dont take it personally, but I couldnt resist.

Q: What do you call a Ford with dual exhausts?
A: A wheelbarrow

Q: What is the difference between a Ford and a tampon?
A: A tampon comes with it's own tow rope.

Q: Why does Ford make tractors and Chrysler does not?
A: Because Chrysler can't get anything to run that slow.

Q: Whats the difference between a golfball and a Ford?
A: You can drive a golf ball over 200 yards.

Henry Ford Goes to Heaven

Henry Ford dies and goes to Heaven.
At the gate, St Peter tells Henry Ford: "Well, you've been such a good guy, invented the car, changed the world. As a reward you can hang out with anybody in Heaven of your choice."
So Henry Ford thinks about it and says: "I would like to hang out with God himself?"
So St Peter takes him directly to God's thrown and Henry Ford starts by saying: "God, I don't want to sound biased, but you have some major design flaws in Your invention, the Woman.
1. There's too much front end protrusion
2. It chatters at high speeds
3. The rear end wobbles too much
4. The intake is too close to the exhaust."
"HMMMM" says God and goes over to the Celestial Super Computer, types in a few key strokes, and waits for the results.
He then turns to Henry Ford and says; "It may be that My invention is flawed, but according to the stellar computer more men are riding My invention then your's".

Ford Mottos

"Have you out-driven a Ford lately?"

"Speed kills. Drive a Ford and live forever!"

"That's not a leak. My Ford's just marking it's territory."

"I could never keep a Ford under me, I was always under the Ford."

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords."

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If it wasn't for our Fords, our tools would rust."

Tom: My parents just bought me a Ford Mustang. Jim: So what did you do to them to tick them off?

heresolong

Regardless, private property folks. If they want to make everyone wear pink socks they can.

Although true I think that we have a right and responsibility to actually determine that the person telling us to wear pink socks has that authority. Joe Shmoe, walking up and saying "You have to cover that up in this building" may not have the authority to tell you that, or may not have the regulation correct even if he has the authority to enforce the rules. I would definitely ask him who he was, challenge him on the rule (politely), and then let the owner (not the service manager) know that I was taking my business elsewhere prior to leaving. This is how I handled Hardware Sales in Bellingham when the same situation happened with the security manager. The owner's response was to leave me alone so long as I wasn't violating any laws. Happy outcome for everyone but the "too big for his britches" security manager.