• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at a protest?

RenkaiWulf

i was thinking about going downtown tomorrow to see and maybe join the Occupy Wall Street flint protest would i have any legality problems OCing (other that U of M flint campus is right next to where the protest is taking place)? also where would i be able to find what property Uof M flint owns as to avoid jamming myself up?

stainless1911

Banned
I dont know where you would get that info, but otherwise, if you're on city property then there isnt anything they can do to you.

Do you have a recorder? Just a tip, if you keep it in a cell phone case or something similar, put it in upside down, it helps keep the wind off the mic. I just thought as I was typing, that if you put it inside of a baby sock, it would likely dampen the wind noise as well.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
i was thinking about going downtown tomorrow to see and maybe join the Occupy Wall Street flint protest would i have any legality problems OCing (other that U of M flint campus is right next to where the protest is taking place)? also where would i be able to find what property Uof M flint owns as to avoid jamming myself up?

Are you going in opposition to the morons of the Occupy Wall Street flint protest?

lapeer20m

I think it would be more fun, and much safer to blend in rather than openly carrying while surrounded by a mob of anti's. However, i do respect your right to carry as you see fit.

i do not want to OC at an OWS protest, but i have been thinking it would be fun to throw in an element of satire and make a sign that is pro-capitalism, but clever enough that most of the protesters don't get it.

or maybe i could make one about people making under $40/yr paying their fair share! Since on average, people who make under $40K get more money back in credits than they pay in federal payroll tax.

Maybe this sign....

scan0002.jpg

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

Isn't there one of these in detroit also? ?Circus park or sum such?:p OC might not be a bad idea there! But if anyone does go bring a friend with a camera and have him/her follow behind you about 10 15 steps behind. The expressions should be worth the time.:rolleyes:

MilProGuy

I didn't participate in the hippies' protests, draft card burnings, etc.,...(edited by author)

But...if I had, I would not have openly carry a handgun at the protest site, even if were legal to do so.

Hey, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
:( We should be very careful about criticizing others....

We (OCers) do not like being called names such as zealots, nutts, gun whacko's etc... yet some of us are willing to poke fun at these folks? Now they may not make a lot of sense to some of us but, remember we don't make a lot of sense to most Americans yet. My understanding of this group is they take issue (however disorganized) with the 1% of US corporations and Uber wealthy that get special breaks, benefits etc... I don't have a dog in this fight. The way I see it is we should make it very clear that we support all constitutional rights, especially those such as the 1A, that benefit directly from the 2A and vice versa. Whether we agree with them or not, we should avoid publicly demeaning them. If we take the high road and state we support their right to peacefully assemble and air their grievances, they may see us as the good guys/gals we are, and not the gun nuts they thought we were.

As with many things in life you will find that, often there are more things to bind us together than to divide us. Just saying sugar & spice works far better than urine & vinegar in most cases.

MilProGuy

Thanks, I needed that!

We (OCers) do not like being called names such as zealots, nutts, gun whacko's etc... yet some of us are willing to poke fun at these folks? Now they may not make a lot of sense to some of us but, remember we don't make a lot of sense to most Americans yet. My understanding of this group is they take issue (however disorganized) with the 1% of US corporations and Uber wealthy that get special breaks, benefits etc... I don't have a dog in this fight. The way I see it is we should make it very clear that we support all constitutional rights, especially those such as the 1A, that benefit directly from the 2A and vice versa. Whether we agree with them or not, we should avoid publicly demeaning them. If we take the high road and state we support their right to peacefully assemble and air their grievances, they may see us as the good guys/gals we are, and not the gun nuts they thought we were.

As with many things in life you will find that, often there are more things to bind us together than to divide us. Just saying sugar & spice works far better than urine & vinegar in most cases.

Thanks...I needed that.

You are exactly right, and I am ashamed enough of a portion of the first part of my post that I'm going back and delete the inflammatory portion.

I need good people like you to keep me on the "straight and narrow"! :dude:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Thanks G9mmOS for saying what I too felt needed to be said.

1245A Defender

Well,,,,

I think it would be more fun, and much safer to blend in rather than openly carrying while surrounded by a mob of anti's. However, i do respect your right to carry as you see fit.

i do not want to OC at an OWS protest, but i have been thinking it would be fun to throw in an element of satire and make a sign that is pro-capitalism, but clever enough that most of the protesters don't get it.

or maybe i could make one about people making under $40/yr paying their fair share! Since on average, people who make under $40K get more money back in credits than they pay in federal payroll tax.

Maybe this sign....

scan0002.jpg

Very good point!!!!

I saw a bit of obamas Q+A thingy on TV recently,
I Kept thinking, I wish he would call on me for a question.
I would have asked "Who is John Galt?"

I bet he would not know!

I also wished he would ask me "how could the government improve the economy of the united states?"
I would have stood at attention,and proclaimed... "Get Out Of My Way!"

PDinDetroit

You are absolutely right, we should be careful with RIGHTS.

The Protesters for OWS have RIGHTS - Peacefully Assemble and Freedom of Expression. On this point we agree - we should support those RIGHTS.

The Posters on OCDO have RIGHTS - Freedom of Association and Freedom of Expression (as allowed by Forum Rules). On this point we disagree - I support the RIGHTS of OCDO Members to EXPRESS THEMSELVES FREELY, whereas you do not. One CAN Support the Rights of OWS Protesters WHILE Freely Expressing Themselves, whether they AGREE with the Message or Not.

Personally, I would rather others see us for what we are - Supportive Of Rights.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
You are absolutely right, we should be careful with RIGHTS.

The Protesters for OWS have RIGHTS - Peacefully Assemble and Freedom of Expression. On this point we agree - we should support those RIGHTS.

The Posters on OCDO have RIGHTS - Freedom of Association and Freedom of Expression (as allowed by Forum Rules). On this point we disagree - I support the RIGHTS of OCDO Members to EXPRESS THEMSELVES FREELY, whereas you do not. One CAN Support the Rights of OWS Protesters WHILE Freely Expressing Themselves, whether they AGREE with the Message or Not.

Personally, I would rather others see us for what we are - Supportive Of Rights.

Really, you think that? I support ALL OF "OUR" rights. The problem is your "OUR" is the OC community or anyone else you agree with. My "OUR" is all US citizens, regardless if I agree with them or not. I was simply pointing out that "we" get upset when others rip on us for our legal activities, so to do this to others who are exercising their rights lawfully is hypocritical at best. WORDSMITH AWAY PD....

PDinDetroit

Really, you think that? I support ALL OF "OUR" rights. The problem is your "OUR" is the OC community or anyone else you agree with. My "OUR" is all US citizens, regardless if I agree with them or not. I was simply pointing out that "we" get upset when others rip on us for our legal activities, so to do this to others who are exercising their rights lawfully is hypocritical at best. WORDSMITH AWAY PD....

Will do!

Glock9mmOldStyle said:

Important part bolded above for emphasis. Telling others to "avoid" certain postings is against Freedom of Expression.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
PD

So saying we should avoid demeaning a group of people (regardless if we like them or not) is not stripping anyone of their freedom of expression - PLEASE - that's the best argument you have PD? You would cowardly suggest I shrug off my right to voice my concern with how negative the thread was becoming? Isn't that the very thing you are accusing me of? It's my opinion, that is all. Hey flame away at any large group or individuals you want, that is your right. Now is that helping how we are perceived by the general public who may read this forum? Probably not.

PDinDetroit

PD

So saying we should avoid demeaning a group of people (regardless if we like them or not) is not stripping anyone of their freedom of expression - PLEASE - that's the best argument you have PD? You would cowardly suggest I shrug off my right to voice my concern with how negative the thread was becoming? Isn't that the very thing you are accusing me of? It's my opinion, that is all. Hey flame away at any large group or individuals you want, that is your right. Now is that helping how we are perceived by the general public who may read this forum? Probably not.

You suggested that people here on OCDO should not express Negative Expressions towards these OWS People. To me, that is not supporting Freedom of Expression and I pointed that out which apparently you take issue with. Whether or not it "helps our cause", I did not address whatsoever.

To date, I have not expressed ANY POSITION HERE ON OCDO TOWARDS OWS.

I thought you were better that to attempt to engage in Personal Attacks, but these threads and others have shown you different that I believed you to be.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
You suggested that people here on OCDO should not express Negative Expressions towards these OWS People. To me, that is not supporting Freedom of Expression and I pointed that out which apparently you take issue with. Whether or not it "helps our cause", I did not address whatsoever.

To date, I have not expressed ANY POSITION HERE ON OCDO TOWARDS OWS.

I thought you were better that to attempt to engage in Personal Attacks, but these threads and others have shown you different that I believed you to be.

As I said repeatedly, but you choose to ignore because the context does not fit your agenda here: "We OCers don't like when people rip on us for our legal activity of OCing" right? I was simply saying if we don't like it, then others most likely don't either; that being the case we should "avoid" demeaning them. Hell, if you want say whatever you want, to whoever you want, whenever you want. I'm sure you do this always correct? To do otherwise is to strip yourself of your freedom of expression. You walk into 7-11 often from your posts, and sometimes deal with a not so nice person running the register. Do you express your dissatisfaction? If not, why? Could it be because it is the best choice given the setting. You most likely would come off as a jerk even though you are correct. The same applies here with OWS crowd, even though many here may very well be right in their views, by labeling them wacko's, morons, crazies to name a few names used here, we look like the jerks instead of them in my honest opinion.