• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who's packing heat in Washington?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
STORY

Based on concealed weapon permit data, gun ownership in Washington appears to be more nuanced than some other issues that fall along political party lines. And judging from the chart below, it would seem the greatest gap in gun ownership levels in Washington is most likely not between Republicans and Democrats — it’s between men and women:

fyi-gunpermits-c1.png

Sparky508

These numbers seem shockingly low to me, but I guess I have to consider the company I keep when I say that. I would have guessed it to be more in the teens across the board rather than in only a couple of counties. :confused:

ncwabbit

OP is there any cite to that graphic you posted so i could do more research on their analysis?

please disregard my request as i pushed my browser to find the article and as suspected, there is no correlation w/any type of time frame associated w/the Seattle Times graphic in their article. http://blogs.seattletimes.com/fyi-guy/2012/12/21/whos-packing-heat-in-washington/

the Seattle Times references politically based NY Times article is equally bogus as it makes broad statements such as quote: Gun ownership has declined over the past 40 years — but almost all of the decrease has come from Democrats. unquote. using data from '73 and discredited '08 & '10 general social survey data.

tks

wabbit

Last edited:

aa1911

suprised Thurston is as low as it is in comparison but surprised it's even that many.

sudden valley gunner

And that is just it, it doesn't matter if you care or not, it does matter to most.

:rolleyes: So, I made a statement of fact. I didn't say say it mattered or not, I don't care if people carry guns without permission slips the government law and restrictions infringe on liberty more than it protects me. I just assume everyone are armed it is foolish in my opinion not to do so.

If these figures don't take into account those who are carrying without permission slips, whether legally or not than the figures are much higher than the graph would indicate.

Last edited:

hermannr

Our Christmas eve childrens service is always packed, but Christmas day service usually has only a few. Christmas day service I was complaining because Stevens pass was closed so it was going to be difficult for my wife and I to get back home to the Highlands. One of the retired pastors that attends our services suggested Allison pass (In BC). I said, that would be an option except for my carry, and pointed to my hip.

What a discussion..out of 23 adults, there were 5 other people carrying (all concealed) and what a varity of pistols....I knew about two of them before, but not the other 3.

sudden valley gunner

Our Christmas eve childrens service is always packed, but Christmas day service usually has only a few. Christmas day service I was complaining because Stevens pass was closed so it was going to be difficult for my wife and I to get back home to the Highlands. One of the retired pastors that attends our services suggested Allison pass (In BC). I said, that would be an option except for my carry, and pointed to my hip.

What a discussion..out of 23 adults, there were 5 other people carrying (all concealed) and what a varity of pistols....I knew about two of them before, but not the other 3.

Not a bad ratio even better if the many of the adults were couples.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
I Googled to find out the population of Washington (6,830,018 as of 2011) then divided that into 385,000 which is the approximate number of CPL holders in the state. This showed that the percentage of CPL holders in the state is about 5.64%. This is only CPL holders. I don't think including those who carry without one would make an appreciable difference.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Do these numbers include children and those under 21? Most of the time, I find reports like these do not filter on age for population. I had done the research given latest censuus data that Monroe had a 14% rate for CPLs.

Vitaeus

RCW 9.41.129
Recordkeeping requirements.

The department of licensing may keep copies or records of applications for concealed pistol licenses provided for in RCW 9.41.070, copies or records of applications for alien firearm licenses, copies or records of applications to purchase pistols provided for in RCW 9.41.090, and copies or records of pistol transfers provided for in RCW 9.41.110. The copies and records shall not be disclosed except as provided in RCW 42.56.240(4).

RCW 42.56.210
Certain personal and other records exempt.
No exemption may be construed to permit the nondisclosure of statistical information not descriptive of any readily identifiable person or persons

Still looking for penalty clause, but there may not be a specific penalty, lots of RCW dealing with the government are missing penalties. They seem to assume that a .gov employee would never ever never break a law.

Munkey Butt

No surprise that the county with the lowest CPL percentage is the biggest advocate for stricter gun laws.:cuss:

Metalhead47

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired..." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

Er... not to pick nits here but shouldn't that second part be refereing to the Constitution of Washington State?