• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years in prison

Beretta92FSLady

Because until he committed a crime and met the standards there was no reason he should have been barred. Or do you propose restricting people for what they might do in the future.

Peterson is proof there is no psychological test for revealing homicidal maniac; I fail those tests, every time!

He ought not have been barred from owning firearms until found guilty...if he's that dangerous, he ought to not have received bail.

WalkingWolf

I favor strict psychological screening for armed agents of the state. Do you?

They already do that, most depts use psychological testing, it does not work. The odd part is that dept that use testing based on intelligence have far less problems. People that score high on intelligence testing usually do not score high on psychological testing. But because of affirmative action they tend to use the latter.

Firearms Iinstuctor

They already do that, most depts use psychological testing, it does not work. The odd part is that dept that use testing based on intelligence have far less problems. People that score high on intelligence testing usually do not score high on psychological testing. But because of affirmative action they tend to use the latter.

Over my career I seen very good LEOs with a high school education and I seen piss poor ones bachelors degree.

And just the opposite it is more about the desire to be professional and do a good job that makes a good LEO.

WalkingWolf

Over my career I seen very good LEOs with a high school education and I seen piss poor ones bachelors degree.

And just the opposite it is more about the desire to be professional and do a good job that makes a good LEO.

I didn't mention education, you have lousy reading comprehension to say the least. I said intelligence, you know the thing that eludes wannabe lawyers.

OC for ME

The problem with intelligent LEOs is that they think they know far more than what they really do know. Or, the know so much that is not so. Just as do our liberal friends.

Unfortunately, some unknown number of very intelligent cops make for the worst right abusers. Which seems to indicate that they are rights abusers by choice and not by some intellectual deficiency.

WalkingWolf

The problem with intelligent LEOs is that they think they know far more than what they really do know. Or, the know so much that is not so. Just as do our liberal friends.

Unfortunately, some unknown number of very intelligent cops make for the worst right abusers. Which seems to indicate that they are rights abusers by choice and not by some intellectual deficiency.

I think the problem stems more from ego rather than intelligence or lack of with rights abusers. Some officers get past the ego adrenalin surg, some don't. Lately it seems the gov is doing all they can to encourage it.

It is not a problem solely to police officers, we see it with a lot of our public that think their authority is higher than what it actually is. There are wannabes in almost every aspect of life, such as wannabe cops, wannabe soldiers, wannabe lawyers. In most cases IMO these people are harmless annoyances, but in some cases such as Adam Lanza(wannabe soldier) they are dangerous.

IMO I don't think Peterson's homicidal activities had anything to do with being a cop, but rather some mental disorder.

Last edited:

OC for ME

A cousin of mine is a deputy, how i do not know. He is a door knob in the smarts department, been that way ever since we were kids, but he is now one of the best cops I've ever met. He knows what he knows and if he don't know, he asks. Now is smarts the same as intelligent? And does education equate to increased intelligence? I am not the biggest brain in the room and will leave that subject for another citizen with a big brain.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Ca Patriot

I firmly believe Peterson killed his wives.

However, if you actually watched the trial, there was basically NO evidence that he murdered his wife. In fact, Illinios had to change one of their hearsay laws simply for this trial.

His attorneys are going to appeal this case to the SCOTUS and I am pretty sure they will win.

It should frighten all people how easy it is to be convicted of murder when the only evidence is that you are a scumbag.

WalkingWolf

I firmly believe Peterson killed his wives.

However, if you actually watched the trial, there was basically NO evidence that he murdered his wife. In fact, Illinios had to change one of their hearsay laws simply for this trial.

His attorneys are going to appeal this case to the SCOTUS and I am pretty sure they will win.

It should frighten all people how easy it is to be convicted of murder when the only evidence is that you are a scumbag.

IMO the evidence was lacking here also in our Peterson trial. He is getting a new trial, and I believe he is free on bond now. Part of the problem with the first trial was creative lab work, and creative testimony.

sudden valley gunner

IMO the evidence was lacking here also in our Peterson trial. He is getting a new trial, and I believe he is free on bond now. Part of the problem with the first trial was creative lab work, and creative testimony.

Penn and Teller has an episode of Bullscat, on forensic science. Presumed Guilty is a great book that shows how often this evidence is faulty or made to look how prosecutors want it too.

arentol

A cousin of mine is a deputy, how i do not know. He is a door knob in the smarts department, been that way ever since we were kids, but he is now one of the best cops I've ever met. He knows what he knows and if he don't know, he asks. Now is smarts the same as intelligent? And does education equate to increased intelligence? I am not the biggest brain in the room and will leave that subject for another citizen with a big brain.

I don't think WalkingWolf is saying that "dull" people can't be good police officers. He is talking about statistical correlations, which really don't have anything to do with individual instances.