• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc'd yesterday in Iowa

Mlutz

I OC'd/cc'd in Iowa all day yesterday. No problems at all. We started out in Dubuque at the Caseys right off of 151/61. I decided to cc, seeing as it was my first cc in public. After getting gas, we drove to Davenport. I have to say, carrying in a car was a new and exciting experience. As you may know, Wisconsin law prohibits that practice. Soon after getting into town, we went to gander mountain. I knew they were firearm friendly, so I decided to OC. Of course, no problems. After seeing a lack of the 5.11 line, I decided to go to Kohls next door. OC'd there for about an hour with zero issues. Deciding on where to eat dinner, we picked Cafe indigo. Dinner was planned with some anti-gun people, so I again decided to cc to avoid any issues. North park mall was last on the list, to pick up some Whiteys ice cream. Good stuff. :) It was getting late in the drive back to Wisconsin, so we stopped off at the same Caseys for some energy drinks. This time, I decided to OC. I went in and grabbed a monster and a pack of smokes. (You guys have some cheap smokes.) I was asked for ID, I gave the cashier my Utah permit. She took a long look at it and said, "this is the strangest ID I have ever seen." I then told her it was a Utah cwp, and she started to explain that some stores post signs. I informed her that signs do not hold any weight in Iowa, and that anyone that chose to ignore a sign like that would only get into trouble if asked to leave, and they did not do so. I have to admit, I was shocked at the lack of response to carry. No leo contact at all, no citizens had any words. As we approched the border, I knew it was time to unload and encase my firearm. I have to say it was a great day. Thank you Iowa. Oh, and don't be afraid to OC guys. :)

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
I'm surprised you didn't get any response at the mall. I know the Scott county(Davenport is in Scott county) Sheriff is not a fan of OC. Also, the mall has a no weapons policy but you would only know that if you were seriously looking for it as its only posted at the food court entrance and the other main entrance near the recruiters office. Which Casey's did you stop at(there are five in Davenport)? Generally all of the FUD reactions are in the smaller towns here in Iowa, and also the two liberally centered cities such as Des Moines and Iowa City.

aadvark

Mulutz:

As of November 1st of This Year..., Open Carry of a Loaded Handgun in a Personnal Motor Vehicle in Wisconsin will NOT be Illegal.

aadvark

IA_farmboy

Mulutz:

As of November 1st of This Year..., Open Carry of a Loaded Handgun in a Personnal Motor Vehicle in Wisconsin will NOT be Illegal.

aadvark

Good to know. I assume this is legal even WITHOUT a permit, correct? I have three permits right now, Iowa, Utah, and Florida, so I'm good to go in something like 35 states. As time passes I'm finding my out of state permits becoming highly redundant. There is a good chance I will not renew them.

I was asked for ID, I gave the cashier my Utah permit.

I like to play with people's expectations a bit and I'll see how people react to being presented with an ID other than my license to drive. Many times the people don't care since all they want is a proof of age to buy tobacco or alcohol. Some places, like banks, just don't know what to do with an ID other than a state issued DL or non-DL ID. Some day I might try that experiment again but insist I don't have a DL just to see what they do.

Thank you Iowa.

You're welcome. (As if I had anything to do with it.)

Oh, and don't be afraid to OC guys.

Easy for you to say, you don't have to live here. If I get caught with a weapon in some of these places that contain sheep in wolf's clothing (AKA rent-a-cops) then I'll forever be "that guy with a gun" every time I go back. I don't need that attention.

Outdoorsman1

SO I have a question..?

By switching back and forth from open carry to concealed carry were you using the same holster in the same position and just basically covering it with your shirt, or were you actaully using different holsters as in IWB and OWB...???

Outdoorsman1

Mlutz

By switching back and forth from open carry to concealed carry were you using the same holster in the same position and just basically covering it with your shirt, or were you actaully using different holsters as in IWB and OWB...???

Outdoorsman1

iwb all day, from the time I crossed into Iowa, until just before I got back into Wisconsin. Just tucked the shirt behind for oc, covered it with my shirt for cc.

Mlutz

Easy for you to say, you don't have to live here. If I get caught with a weapon in some of these places that contain sheep in wolf's clothing (AKA rent-a-cops) then I'll forever be "that guy with a gun" every time I go back. I don't need that attention.

You are correct, I do not live in Iowa, I live in Wisconsin, where OC is the ONLY way to carry. Easy for me to say? I AM FOREVER "that guy with a gun". As a member of the "Madison 5" or "Culvers 5", my life will NEVER be the same. If you think anyone would want that... By all means you can take my place... The only thing that gets me by is that fact that what I did was right, and that 4 others and myself made people realize that OC was legal and no big deal. If I could do it all over again, I would have cc'd... (If it were legal at the time.)

GWOT_Vet

If you drove through MN to get back to WI, Open carry is also legal there with a permit to carry. I know they accept many states permits, but Im not sure which ones since I have a MN permit still. I think I will keep it as long as the service keeps me on the move, so much easier to renew it every 5 years instead of getting a new one ever 3 when I move.

IA_farmboy

no4gman

iwb all day, from the time I crossed into Iowa, until just before I got back into Wisconsin. Just tucked the shirt behind for oc, covered it with my shirt for cc.

Isn't it amazing what a HUGE difference it makes to some people (the pant wetters) when you moved that highly-protective piece of shirt tail cloth to hide your gun?