• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Did You Carry Today And How Did It Go

QilvinLEO

Quilvin,

I better understand your questions now due to your responces.

Yes, there is a chance, albeit a small one, that I may get targeted for my gun that I OC. However, in the one, and only, story that I could find where it happened, the man OCing was robbed at gunpoint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_YUO4SzcY&feature=related). In that instance, with a gun already pointed at you, which is faster: the BG pulling a trigger, you drawing your OC weapon, or you drawing your concealed weapon? I also found a story where another guy was robbed at gunpoint, and lost his concealed weapon to the BG (http://www.komonews.com/news/local/71002412.html) as well as many more regarding police officers losing their weapons to a BG
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/j...mo-stolen-anderson-county-das-ca/?partner=RSS
http://policelink.monster.com/news/articles/137678-off-duty-officers-gun-stolen-during-carjacking
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/08/city_officers_gun_stolen.html
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2010/04/harford_sheriffs_deputys_gun_s.html
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2559137/posts
http://www.examiner.com/strange-news-in-national/potty-larceny-cop-loses-gun-restroom

What I am trying to say is that I feel that in a case of a BG stopping in front of you with a gun leveled at your body, you truly have to ask yourself in you do, in fact feel lucky enough to take a bullet in order to draw and fire upon your BG, or if you will comply with the BG and lose your property in order to not get shot. Because this is only of two instances that the type of holster that you carry (no retention or up to 3 types of retention, or concealed vs open) becomes important. The other is when someone comes up on your back and tried to take the weapon from your holster through stealth and dexterity. I personally OC with a holter that has a thumb lock, so unless the BG has a weapon digging into the small of my back, the BG is not going to be able to get my weapon through surprise before my elbow crashes into his/her face.

Okay... So the question is: Do I feel that a concealed weapon is safer than an openly carried one in regards to a BG targeting me and being able to take my weapon from me? Personally? Equally safe from what I can tell. OC seems to help deter all but equally armed BG's or BG's who have a strong element of surprise while CC does nothing for you from what I can see in the case of am armed robbery. Some say that you CC so that you can draw the weapon whtn the BG is not expecting it, perhaps when the BG is going through your wallet or moving away from you... but thats when it is illegal for you to draw your weapon on the BG. See, here's the thing: If you are being robbed, you can only draw your weapon if you feel your life is in danger. Since nearly all robberies happen within arm's length distance, you have to determine a number of things: Are you going to be able to draw and fire your weapon before the BG uses his weapon on you, is the chance of loosing your life worth whatever is on your person, and so on. In this situation, and armed robbery situation, a CC might let you keep your weapon if the BG doesn't notice it, but will you honestly attempt to draw and fire it if you have a gun in your face? I do know that I've never seen a report of a case where a concealed carrier successfully drew down on a guy with a gun pointed at them (To be fair, cases of anyone doing the same are very rare.) But there are cases of an OC doing so: http://www.ammoland.com/2009/07/19/gun-owner-saves-lives-in-the-richmond-va-golden-market-shooting/ and a case of deterrment: http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-atlanta/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

I made this scenario in another post, but because this post is happening in the Missouri boards and we are the best state, ;), I will make it again

In reguard to the lacking of stories of OC being disarmed. I'm bad guy. I see an OC walking down the street. As many of you have already pointed out, BG's already have a weapon of their own. But I really really like your weapon OC. I think I want that firearm. So I decide to shoot you, walk up, remove your firearm, holster and your wallet.

If you were CCing at this time, possibly you would not have been targetted. I understand that we cant validate what those crazy criminals will do out there.

I think the fact that the murdered individual was an OC would be left out of the news report. Maybe a small mention of "VICTIM was known to carry firearms" MIGHT make it. But not enough for our google searches to find.

And I commend you for often ensuring your firearm is always there. That is something EVERYBODY who has ever owned a firearm should do. However, do they?

SMALL EDIT

No amount of money is worth your life. GIVE THE WALLET.

Last edited:

Verd

Campaign Veteran
I made this scenario in another post, but because this post is happening in the Missouri boards and we are the best state, ;), I will make it again

In reguard to the lacking of stories of OC being disarmed. I'm bad guy. I see an OC walking down the street. As many of you have already pointed out, BG's already have a weapon of their own. But I really really like your weapon OC. I think I want that firearm. So I decide to shoot you, walk up, remove your firearm, holster and your wallet.

If you were CCing at this time, possibly you would not have been targetted. I understand that we cant validate what those crazy criminals will do out there.

I think the fact that the murdered individual was an OC would be left out of the news report. Maybe a small mention of "VICTIM was known to carry firearms" MIGHT make it. But not enough for our google searches to find.

And I commend you for often ensuring your firearm is always there. That is something EVERYBODY who has ever owned a firearm should do. However, do they?

SMALL EDIT

I would hope, if put into that situation, that I was aware enough of my surroundings that I would have noticed the BG before getting close enough to get the drop on me. Ideally, I would like to think that at the moment the BG decided I was a target that I would have noticed I was being targeted and would have my hand resting on my gun and be getting ready to draw it. However, as my grandfather used to say, "Wish in one hand, **** in the other. See which one you feel first." In which case, I would be loosing my gun, as well as my other valuables, to the BG.

And yeah, might be that there is a lack of google-fu in regards to muggings of people OCing, but I tend to believe that with the number of OCiers and CCiers, and the scism that lays between the two camps of thought, that someone of either camp would have found as much as they could to show that CC or OC is better than the other. And those stories would be easily found through a google search.

Eh, either way, I hope that we can agree that getting targeted by a BG due to the OCied firearm is not all that common, that having an accidental discharge is far more likely to happen than to be targeted simply because you are OCing.

Oh, and yeah, I carry everywhere. Its on my hip when I mow the grass, when I watch tv, when I drop my kids off at school... everywhere. Didn't use to be that way, but now that I've thought about it, I will never be without a gun and hope that I never have to use it.

Last edited:

QilvinLEO

Agreed. We are discussing that one situation that comes in 1 out of a 1000000 times. I just know, when I'm carrying and i look down and notice my shirt has creeped itself in between my firearm and my stomach, turning me from a CC to an OC, I immediatly reach down and pull the shirt or cover up or whatever i'm using, back over my firearm.

And thats with a badge sitting right next to it.

I also carry everywhere. Of course, as a FLEO, I have the ability to carry everywhere. You need to be careful about taking it to your childrens school.

Excerted from RSMO

Unlawful use of weapons--exceptions--penalties.
571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(10) Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

Last edited:

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Agreed. We are discussing that one situation that comes in 1 out of a 1000000 times. I just know, when I'm carrying and i look down and notice my shirt has creeped itself in between my firearm and my stomach, turning me from a CC to an OC, I immediatly reach down and pull the shirt or cover up or whatever i'm using, back over my firearm.

And thats with a badge sitting right next to it.

I also carry everywhere. Of course, as a FLEO, I have the ability to carry everywhere. You need to be careful about taking it to your childrens school.

Excerted from RSMO

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(10) Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

Ahh... be careful there. I never said I took it to my child's school. I said I wear it when I drop off my child at school. The law lets me have my gun in my vehicle on the school's parking lot.

And I do the same thing... I look down and notice shirt creep and instead of hiding my gun, I tuck the shirt behind my gun so that it stays clearly visible. :)

QilvinLEO

Ahh... be careful there. I never said I took it to my child's school. I said I wear it when I drop off my child at school. The law lets me have my gun in my vehicle on the school's parking lot.

And I do the same thing... I look down and notice shirt creep and instead of hiding my gun, I tuck the shirt behind my gun so that it stays clearly visible. :)

As long as you stay in your vehicle. But if you get out that one time, "Hey <insert child name> you forgot your...."

Teacher "OMG, hes got a gun, RUNNNNNNN"

It sounds farfetched but you know them teachers.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
As long as you stay in your vehicle. But if you get out that one time, "Hey <insert child name> you forgot your...."

Teacher "OMG, hes got a gun, RUNNNNNNN"

It sounds farfetched but you know them teachers.

Thats the thing. WHile I might speak in hypotheticals in regards to being mugged and whatnot, I will never leave my car with a firearm still on my person if I am at a school or other illegal place. And if my kid forgets something? Thats what windows are for. And if my kid cannot hear me? The gun comes out of its holster and is put in the glove compartment before I leave the car.

Remember that situational awareness doesn't just apply towards seeing what other people around you are doing in regards to you, it also means that you are staying aware of your own actions so that, in the instance you gave, you don't leave your car with a gun on your hip if you are in the school's parking lot.

And I have to say that I've carried 24/7 for the past month and I've yet to have anyone that indicated, verbally or even visably, that my OC frightened or even bothered them other than my mother. I 've been to the park, around 100+ kids and mothers, mothers who are homeschoolers and secular and are green, conscious, and every-other thing that they could conceivably be in order to prove to the world that they are "good", and yet I have had not one even look twice at me when I am pushing my daughter on the swings and one of their kids ask me to do the same for them simply because I am an adult, clearly okay with pushing one kid so why not two? Perhaps they think I am a cop or something, I do not know.

Tony4310

I recently openly carried with my wife and daughter in St.Charles on main street and their were families every where. I even walked past an officer on horse back and he noticed I was armed and kept patrolling. No one panicked or ran away screaming and law enforcement wasn't called so it was another uneventful and nice day.

wrightme

Making a scenario does not mean that the scenario is valid. Do you know of ANY reports of something like that happening?

SMALL EDIT

Tony4310

If i'm not mistaken, their have been more stories of police officers in uniform that have been attacked and had their weapons taken by criminals than criminals attacking citizens openly carrying firearms ( don't hold me to that though). Could a BG target an open carrier? Absolutely. Does it happen often? No. We don't live in a fantasy world were we think we are perfectly safe openly carrying. Criminals in their own words are more afraid of armed citizens than they are of police officers.

I am also happy to see a LEO here that is open to conversation and exchange of thoughts instead of just assuming!

Brion

To defend my fellow LEO eariler reguarding the the comments about CC compared to OC. Obvioulsy, it is your right to OC. Alot of individuals that OC also have a CCW because of their interest in firearms. My only problem with OC is if you can CCW, why not do it? My reasons for such are because of weapon retention. I know when I am carrying my offduty weapon it is a single retention holster (and most holsters that I have read on here that people carry and encountered on the street). Just pull and fire. Whereas, my duty holster is a triple retention holster, that requires certain movements in order to remove it and those movements should remain a secret to the general public. (Yeah, because that happens)

So, not only do I have training in weapon retention, but also have an extremely safe holster that most individuals do not know how to draw the weapon, and even if they do, it is hard to do it if the firearm is not on your waste, why would you place yourself into the slightly more risky situation of being disarmed?

I'm just being honest and would like to know some responses of WHY not just CC if you can. I dont want to hear "cause its my right". It wont be your right anymore if it results in your death via being disarmed.

I wont respond to flamers or people that just say "Its my right".

Thanks and hope to have honest opinions,
Qilvin-LEO

Reguarding the officer saying "that is illegal to do in Illionois" Wow.

-Sorry about the double post

Here's why I OC. #1 with a CCP I am required to report to any LEO that I am armed and a permit holder. When I OC, there is no requirement. You either see it there plain as day on my hip or you don't. Second, I want people to know that I am armed and that I am NOT the person you want to attempt to attack. It send the message if that was your motive that I am ready for YOU. I as well have one of them super secret squirly dandy handshake finger punch password while you hop on one leg holsters in case of a gun grab. Ok not really it's a SERPA 2. But seriously, if you are going to attempt a gun grab, you had better be ready to use the weapon you plan to take because if you don't you will be black and bruised, bloody, and possibly dead on the ground. I belive OC sends a message. My message to anyone is that I am military, I took an OATH, I swore to GOD, that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America, against all enemies, foregn AND domestic, I took that obligation freely, without any mental reservation. With that so I OC and you should know it.
Third, with OC you know that I am armed and honestly, I don't care what you think about it. If you CC, that's your choice. And I won't try to tell you otherwise.

It's like Westoboro Baptist Church. Do I think what they do is horrible and wrong. Yes. Will I ever attempt to tell them they can't do what they do. NO! Because they have a right to do it and I will fight for it to my death and they might protest at my funeral. Ok, so what.
So, ignore me all you want for saying "It's my right." Because guess what, IT'S MY RIGHT!

Last edited:

NeoShade

Here's why I OC. #1 with a CCP I am required to report to any LEO that I am armed and a permit holder. When I OC, there is no requirement. You either see it there plain as day on my hip or you don't. Second, I want people to know that I am armed and that I am NOT the person you want to attempt to attack. It send the message if that was your motive that I am ready for YOU. I as well have one of them super secret squirly dandy handshake finger punch password while you hop on one leg holsters in case of a gun grab. Ok not really it's a SERPA 2. But seriously, if you are going to attempt a gun grab, you had better be ready to use the weapon you plan to take because if you don't you will be black and bruised, bloody, and possibly dead on the ground. I belive OC sends a message. My message to anyone is that I am military, I took an OATH, I swore to GOD, that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America, against all enemies, foregn AND domestic, I took that obligation freely, without any mental reservation. With that so I OC and you should know it.
Third, with OC you know that I am armed and honestly, I don't care what you think about it. If you CC, that's your choice. And I won't try to tell you otherwise.

It's like Westoboro Baptist Church. Do I think what they do is horrible and wrong. Yes. Will I ever attempt to tell them they can't do what they do. NO! Because they have a right to do it and I will fight for it to my death and they might protest at my funeral. Ok, so what.
So, ignore me all you want for saying "It's my right." Because guess what, IT'S MY RIGHT!

Amen.

Also, just to be clear, you don't have to acknowledge you have a CCW in Missouri...

lordmorpheus

You need to be careful about taking it to your childrens school.

Excerted from RSMO

Noted.

Also noted in RSMO 571.030: Subdivision (10) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply if the firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed by a person while traversing school premises for the purposes of transporting a student to or from school, or possessed by an adult for the purposes of facilitation of a school-sanctioned firearm-related event.

Like Verd, I choose to leave my gun in the car while walking my daughter to her kindergarten classroom. I only get to see her in the morning, and for a brief bit before she goes to sleep at night, due to my schedule. I do not need teachers, parents, and kids freaking out and ruining our brief time together.

QilvinLEO

From your comments in the other thread that you started, it is clear that you prefer concealed carry because it increases the possibility that you will be able to save the rest of the world from the criminal when you kill them.

Naturally, It couldn't be that I feel CC is safer for the carrier. Am I looking to change any of your beliefs? No. Would I like to bring up some good conversations to get people THINKING? Yes.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Naturally, It couldn't be that I feel CC is safer for the carrier. Am I looking to change any of your beliefs? No. Would I like to bring up some good conversations to get people THINKING? Yes.

Cool. Your opinion is that its safer to CC. Mine is that it is safer to OC. I base my opinion based on the large number of stories where an openly carried firearm made a criminal think twice about going after that person and on the number of criminals who state that they will not go after an armed individual because they don't wish to be shot. For myself, I consider such stories as proof. Would you happen to have any stories or proof that might help confirm your position that CC is safer for the carrier than OC?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
-NavyLCDR-

Very valid points. However, I will argue your definition of deterrence with you. Deterrence is a crime that is not committed based upon the circumstances, such as a police officer walking a beat, an armed citizen defending their home, or etc. What you are describing is the crime being pushed from yourself to another less prepared victim. Granted, there will never be such a thing as 100 percent deterrence because dirtbag is going to always be a dirtbag. However, if your reasonings are for DETERRENCE as you have suggested by asking me to please read up on then you should also be concerned about the individual that is about to be murdered or raped. Because you are not pursuing this individual you find to be suspicous, I doubt your intention is true deterrence. To me it sounds more like intimitadition of self defense would be your reasoning for OC, which is YOUR right.

And if you believe people are NOT attacked for their firearms, I think you are sadly mistaken.

Additional thoughts:

I typically will not bother with an online discussion from a LEO because I have some what of a bad attitude with answers that lack merit and tend to lean to belligerent responses. I do not like to be that way with folks I respect for the work they do so understand you are getting BOTH here.

1. Cops to not stop crime, they deter it, criminals simply wait until a cop is not around and find another victim, aka it is the same. Reference the recent attacks on targeted police officers for home robberies and a couple of weeks later the personal cars of officers parked at the station while on duty, I think he got 10 or more before he got caught.

2. I am responsible for myself, if I deter crime from happening to me, I am all good. I am not a cop, I did not choose to chase and capture bad guys and I am not going to do so, if others choose to leave themselves in a position that they are to become his victim, that is their responsibility for the choices THEY made. When it happens the police will respond and report it to the court system, after that, its a toss up, they will go in a cage at a training ground for future criminal activity or will be set free because mommy and daddy were not nice to him as an infant. Following that the LEO will debate his job as he sits writing the report while watching them walk out the door of the jail AGAIN wondering WTF he even bothers. (more of that respect stuff right there for not just dropping the hammer every time you deal with child abuse, you are a better man sir or ma'am)

3. Visably armed citizen as a potential victim? Sorry sir, the criminals say it 100% the opposite, seems they know there are huge rule differences for you and I. As a LEO you have the rules of engagement you must follow in order not to watch them walk, we simply must be in fear for our lives. Your goal is to CATCH the threat, ours is simply eliminating it. Now that does not mean one can blast at random, but it does mean the criminals are fully aware that you are going to be held to huge tough standards and a citizen is not aka a citizen will shoot first aka criminals have no desire to be aerated, they have said as much.

3.B. It simply does not happen, it gets said on the internet a lot but to my knowledge there has been ONE citizen who has had this happen. It happens to COPS a lot. Why? Because the rules are different for cops, you guys close the distance and apprehend, you take on the worst of the worst and get yourselves in very close proximity where opportunistic persons try and disarm to flee. From LEO feed back that is honest and straight, it is a 50/50 toss up on this one, criminal attempts and drunk idiot attempts, both suck for you guys because neither have a sound understanding of the repercussions of the action.

All in all, nope, criminals do not target the armed and no, while they do steal guns, they like to do it from empty houses and cars, not scared citizens who may begin blasting without self control training. Getting guns for crime is EASY, you can buy one 1 block from my work easier than I can buy one from Mikes guns because there is no 4473, there is no receipt and the criminal selling it does not care if it is a straw or not, the responsible do and gun laws regulate only the responsible.

I offer that citizens make assumptions about police attitudes on such things because they do not walk in the same shoes and the same goes for COPS. Just because a criminal or drunk is willing to go for your weapon does not mean they are going to take the same risk for ours. Yours is a key to freedom and escape. Ours is nothing more than monetary value and the risk is much much higher that the firearm could indeed be used before it would be in the hands of a trained LEO.

Respect and kudos for doing the job, but your view seems as skewed as the view of the cop haters is as well. They are totally different perspectives and from your comments so far on this thread IMHO yours does not apply.

It is just an opinion, as is yours and was put forward, food for thought, do with it what you will and by all means remain safe, you do a job in a way I never could.

LMTD

Oramac

Noted.

Also noted in RSMO 571.030: Subdivision (10) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply if the firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed by a person while traversing school premises for the purposes of transporting a student to or from school, or possessed by an adult for the purposes of facilitation of a school-sanctioned firearm-related event.

Like Verd, I choose to leave my gun in the car while walking my daughter to her kindergarten classroom. I only get to see her in the morning, and for a brief bit before she goes to sleep at night, due to my schedule. I do not need teachers, parents, and kids freaking out and ruining our brief time together.

I wonder, how does this jive with RSMO 571.107 concerning CC?

Specifically, Section 10: "(10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;"

AND:

Paragraph 2: "2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises."

It just seems to me that this, and 571.030 are somewhat contradictory.

lordmorpheus

I wonder, how does this jive with RSMO 571.107 concerning CC?

Specifically, Section 10: "(10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;"

AND:

Paragraph 2: "2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises."

It just seems to me that this, and 571.030 are somewhat contradictory.

While IANAL, I read that both CCing in a "school" and OCing while "traversing school premises for the purposes of transporting a student to or from school" are not criminal offenses. From what I know of OC legalities, if you are asked to leave, or remove firearm from whatever premises you are in, and you refuse...PD can issue a trespassing violation (non-criminal). Similarly, if you CC in a place you should not be CCing, and the PD are called, you will be asked to leave and a fine issued (non-criminal).

While CCing, per RSMO 571.107, 2: If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense. If a second citation for a similar violation occurs within a six-month period, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed two hundred dollars and his or her endorsement to carry concealed firearms shall be suspended for a period of one year. If a third citation for a similar violation is issued within one year of the first citation, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars and shall have his or her concealed carry endorsement revoked and such person shall not be eligible for a concealed carry endorsement for a period of three years.

While OCing, if such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, you may/will be issued a trespassing violation. (sorry I can find no RSMO to copy and paste). Common sense leads me to reason, that if you returned to the same location at a future date, PD called, trespassing violation issued, and you continued to repeat this behaviour, something more would come of it. Of course, it would seem unwise to keep returning to a place that doesn't welcome OC, as well as unwise to refuse to leave until PD is called, repeatedly.

As I am fairly new to this forum, as well as fairly new to OCing, and laws in general, please feel free to correct any assumptions I have made in this post if they are in error.

xdmcompact

I had two OC experiences today, one was at the Open Carry 9/11 Event with 45 other OC'ers. Great time was had by all. After getting home from the event I took a 5 mile walk and was greeted with thumbs up from a guy turning in front of me. "OC, THE WAY IT OUTTA BE".

prep4life09

The reason I like open carry is because it doesn't cost me anything to do it - money wise anyway.
with concealed carry, you have to take the required classes ~ with those 'teachers' they deem worthy to get your money ~ then you have to pay them to get the license. And then you have to renew that sucker every few years.
As for an OC experience, my hubby & I went to West Plains the other day. Went into Wendy's & was sitting down to eat when we realized that he hadn't taken the gun off of his hip! No one said anything but a table with some women & kids at it had a table full of EYES! LOL