• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry with Rifle Caliber Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDFbound

Anybody do this or know of anybody who has? More thinking out loud here than considering actually doing it.

I was thinking of pistols such as the Kel-Tec PLR-16, chambered in 5.56 NATO, accepts standard 30-round mags, and does not have a buffer tube protruding out the back of it. I've got my concealed carry permit, so I technically could conceal carry it, but it's large enough to be very prohibitive of that, not to mention that it just doesn't make a lot of sense. That is a terrible cartridge for carrying due to massive overpenetration and risk to innocent people if you ever did decide to use it. But, it is technically a pistol, so I could OC the damn thing just like my Glock 19 if I felt so inclined. I'm sure it would garner some unwanted attention, though.

Anyways, just wondering about the legalities of a pistol chambered for rifle cartridges and if anybody has seen or heard of carrying one on a regular basis.

davidmcbeth

Banned
you can only carry something that was made to be fired with one hand

I rarely shoot any gun with one hand ... does any gun manufacture even discuss this issue?

If something CAN be shot with 1 hand (I saw Rambo III yesterday, he shot an AK with one hand - and very well -- haha Hollywood) does not mean its the recommended method of shooting the gun.

The manufacturer's recommendation should rule. And I think that any that produce a 9mm handgun would recommend 2 hands if they make any recommendation at all.

Now there maybe law or case law discussing a design of a gun that allows a person to place his/her 2nd hand to support the barrel. I think that I have seen that sometime in the past. Don't recall where though.

Last edited:

chris829

its the same as carrying a mares leg. you can't do it. a hand gun in nc is a weapon that was meant to be fierd with one hand, i.e. a pistol. we don;t have a CCW in nc, we have a CHP

Last edited:

ncwabbit

IAW with NC statutes handgun is defined in chapter 14, article 54B(1a); 14-415.10; 14-269.7; etc,. : Handgun. – A firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

wabbit

TDFbound

I'm feeling that you are saying a 5.56 pistol is not a handgun because it is not designed to be fired with one hand? It is legally a pistol, the same as my Glock 19. I always fire my Glock with two hands because it is safer and I have more control over it. Wouldn't it be the same with a 5.56 pistol? Can be fired with one hand but much better to use two? I can shoot my 16" heavy barreled AR-15 with one hand, and I can easily shoot a true M4 with one hand, so I feel confident that I could also shoot an even smaller 5.56 chambered weapon with one hand, but I would prefer to use two hands because it is safer. Since I don't think many pistols are truly designed to be shot one-handed, what makes a 5.56 pistol any different? I shoot my issued M16 with one hand during tac reloads when needed, and it is certainly not a handgun, but I can do it.

I guess for me, it boils down to what is legally defined as a pistol, and what I am legally allowed to carry. I am legally allowed to carry my Glock 19. My Glock 19 is a pistol. I am legally allowed to carry a pistol. The Kel-Tec PLR-16 is a pistol. I am legally allowed to carry a Kel-Tec PLR-16.

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.keltecweapons.com/upload...102f8677a6addKel Tec PLR-16 owners manual.pdf

The manual ... odd, it says in one line its a rifle ... but other than that; the manual does not indicate it requires 2 hands...and that burden is upon the state to prove

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/S&W_Revolver_Manual.pdf

But S&W says to shoot their revolvers with 2 hands ... so are these not allowed to be carried?

It would be hard for the state to say that a S&W revolver is OK while the other is not given the manufacturer's recommendation differences and testimony from the state that would say that a S&W revolver is OK to carry.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Last edited:

Thundar

Anybody do this or know of anybody who has? More thinking out loud here than considering actually doing it.

I was thinking of pistols such as the Kel-Tec PLR-16, chambered in 5.56 NATO, accepts standard 30-round mags, and does not have a buffer tube protruding out the back of it. I've got my concealed carry permit, so I technically could conceal carry it, but it's large enough to be very prohibitive of that, not to mention that it just doesn't make a lot of sense. That is a terrible cartridge for carrying due to massive overpenetration and risk to innocent people if you ever did decide to use it. But, it is technically a pistol, so I could OC the damn thing just like my Glock 19 if I felt so inclined. I'm sure it would garner some unwanted attention, though.

Anyways, just wondering about the legalities of a pistol chambered for rifle cartridges and if anybody has seen or heard of carrying one on a regular basis.

There was this guy in Tenn. that took an AK pistol to the park.....

Do a search of the Tenn. section for kwikrnu. Lots of reading and emotion.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
None of this is consistent with the path on which OCDO has been directed. The desire is to foster confidence/support from a majority of the voting public. The means is demonstrating that properly carried normal handguns by LACs are not a threat to public safety and welfare. The goal is to be free and capable of defending ourselves and our loved ones as the need might arise.

Neither the 2nd Amendment nor G*d given rights are in question to this regard. It is public perception that we must influence and being cognizant of how these things are presently accepted is part of the equation.

Rifle caliber handguns are not viewed as normal, everyday tools - they are unusual, awkward to carry holstered and unnecessarily raise the level of resistance from the general public. They tend to be much more "in your face." Rifle caliber handguns, rifles/carbines and shotguns are not normal, everyday carry - such is perceived very differently and generally in a negative fashion.

We have made great strides in recent years following a proven format. I see no reason to deviate from that course.

davidmcbeth

Banned
None of this is consistent with the path on which OCDO has been directed. The desire is to foster confidence/support from a majority of the voting public. The means is demonstrating that properly carried normal handguns by LACs are not a threat to public safety and welfare. The goal is to be free and capable of defending ourselves and our loved ones as the need might arise.

Neither the 2nd Amendment nor G*d given rights are in question to this regard. It is public perception that we must influence and being cognizant of how these things are presently accepted is part of the equation.

Rifle caliber handguns are not viewed as normal, everyday tools - they are unusual, awkward to carry holstered and unnecessarily raise the level of resistance from the general public. They tend to be much more "in your face." Rifle caliber handguns, rifles/carbines and shotguns are not normal, everyday carry - such is perceived very differently and generally in a negative fashion.

We have made great strides in recent years following a proven format. I see no reason to deviate from that course.

Are you saying that the OP's pistol is not suitable for carry Grapeshot? That is the question the OP posed. I would rather be shot by a .223 round from the OP's gun as opposed to S&W's .500 caliber in their revolver. And if the cartridge is something to consider in the context of the 2nd amendment backdrop, then why not ban .50's,.45's, 9mm, and .380s? After all you can likely defend your self with a 22 right? And many rifles shoot .45's so the .45 is not exclusive to handguns; same with .50, 9mm, and .22 (the OP's gun can be chambered for this).

I have kept my postings' information specific to the characterization of the OP's specific pistol. From what I have read and discovered, I think its may be allowable as a carry pistol. But I would advise the OP to seek further opinion from a lawyer specializing in such areas of law. If it is not available for carry just due to the ammo it uses then I would find that a very surprising and scary conclusion but not a conclusion a judge might not come to rest upon. Heck, the IL Supreme court ruled that the handgun ban in Chicago was OK, so anything is possible.

Public perception can be swayed through rational discussion and information sharing. What I can or should I carry is a basic question, one of the first, a person would ask when deciding to carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Neither the 2nd Amendment nor G*d given rights are in question
to this regard. It is public perception that we must influence and being cognizant of how these things are presently accepted is part of the equation.

Are you saying that the OP's pistol is not suitable for carry Grapeshot? That is the question the OP posed. I would rather be shot by a .223 round from the OP's gun as opposed to S&W's .500 caliber in their revolver. And if the cartridge is something to consider in the context of the 2nd amendment backdrop, then why not ban .50's,.45's, 9mm, and .380s? After all you can likely defend your self with a 22 right? And many rifles shoot .45's so the .45 is not exclusive to handguns; same with .50, 9mm, and .22 (the OP's gun can be chambered for this).

I have kept my postings' information specific to the characterization of the OP's specific pistol. From what I have read and discovered, I think its may be allowable as a carry pistol. But I would advise the OP to seek further opinion from a lawyer specializing in such areas of law. If it is not available for carry just due to the ammo it uses then I would find that a very surprising and scary conclusion but not a conclusion a judge might not come to rest upon. Heck, the IL Supreme court ruled that the handgun ban in Chicago was OK, so anything is possible.

Public perception can be swayed through rational discussion and information sharing. What I can or should I carry is a basic question, one of the first, a person would ask when deciding to carry.

Few others miss the point that this is NOT about what is legal or what caliber/style of gun is effective for self-defense.

I did not state it was not suitable for carry, I indicated it was outside the parameters selected by the site/forum owners.

All posts are subject to scrutiny. Those that post here do so not as a right but with the permission of the owners. That permission can be limited or denied. OCDO is still private property.

Status
Not open for further replies.