• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

black powder bullet range

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not only is a Blackpowder gun,,,SUB sonic,,

Your chronograph must be broken.

Speed of sound=1116 FPS

120 grains of 2F with a 315 gr .490 Conical =1345 FPS
...................................485 gr =1234
140 grains of 2F ..........315gr =1471
...................................485gr =1345

They are even faster with Sabots, just a poorer Ballistic Coefficient and Sectional Density....but you get the idea.

But the neighbor could also be using lighter loads.

Last edited:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran

Speed of sound=1116 FPS

They are even faster with Sabots, just a poorer Ballistic Coefficient and Sectional Density....but you get the idea.

That's also muzzle velocity. By the time the bullet has gone 100yds it'll be sub-sonic, at the 6-800 yds specified in the original post, it's been sub-sonic for quite a while, and well behind the sound...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdoors/resource/remington_charts/bpballistics.htm

Roscoe

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Not only is a Blackpowder gun,,,SUB sonic,, so the sound is heard before the bullet passes,,,
BUT a rickochied shot will be heard even SOONER than the bullit can come to you!!!
See this vid of a rickochied 50 cal round!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc
the shot is heard very well before the return and hit!!!!

Your neighbor could have HIT a rock in his field that rickochied toward your location,,,

Speed of sound=1116 FPS

That's also muzzle velocity. By the time the bullet has gone 100yds it'll be sub-sonic, at the 6-800 yds specified in the original post, it's been sub-sonic for quite a while, and well behind the sound...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdoors/resource/remington_charts/bpballistics.htm

Roscoe

That's true Roscoe. Its probably subsonic at 75 yards. I'm juggling the statement.

Well,,,, Maybe now you get my point...
My croniagraph might be broken,,,, but the dear dont know that....
I load my 45 cal Kentukey rifle lightly,, the dear dont know I do that!
They hear the shot,,, they wonder,,, what was that?, but dont have time to look up,, Then thay fall down!
Then I eat them,,, they taste good!!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
They hear the shot,,, they wonder,,, what was that?, but dont have time to look up,, Then thay fall down!

Yep....and you can shoot squirrels with that little thing if the Deer aren't cooperating:banana::p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I see now,
that my power of spelling has surpassed my power of my saying...

my dead... DEER!!!! did not not look up to wonder, what was that noise...
The DEER that I shot were DEAR to me,,
And I KILLED them....

I Bearly noticed:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Are you shooting your dear(sic) at 600-800 yds with black powder? :uhoh: :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yep....and you can shoot squirrels with that little thing if the Deer aren't cooperating:banana::p

Gives new meaning to exploding targets. My son has on occasion used a 300 Weatherby Mag to dispatch groundhogs - very similar. :uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Gives new meaning to exploding targets. My son has on occasion used a 300 Weatherby Mag to dispatch groundhogs - very similar. :uhoh:

The Traditional all around Muzzle Loader was .40. It did a credible job on Deer/Black Bear and small game, used less powder and lead and left room for the barrel to be freshed out when needed.

DGIF and the General Assembly have chosen to ignore that for some reason.

The reason I always built .58 and 62's is that they simply killed Deer btter plus .58 is 28 ga and .62 is 20 ga.

The rifles don't give great patterns but can be loaded with shot and conventional wads for close range small game.
I have a smooth bore Lancaster style Flintlock .62 I built about ten years ago that is the closest thing to the perfect Virginia gun you can get.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Traditional all around Muzzle Loader was .40. It did a credible job on Deer/Black Bear and small game, used less powder and lead and left room for the barrel to be freshed out when needed.

DGIF and the General Assembly have chosen to ignore that for some reason.

The reason I always built .58 and 62's is that they simply killed Deer btter plus .58 is 28 ga and .62 is 20 ga.

The rifles don't give great patterns but can be loaded with shot and conventional wads for close range small game.
I have a smooth bore Lancaster style Flintlock .62 I built about ten years ago that is the closest thing to the perfect Virginia gun you can get.

http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/riflekits.html

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is my normal hunting rifle. Scratch built 58 with a DeHaas barrel. I forged all the fittings and lockplate and used Chambers parts inside the lock. The double set trigger was all scratch built and set breaks at considerably less than an ounce.
Most people don't realize it but full buckhorn sights were the first ghosting ring sights. I made the one on this with a fine bead bar that I set for a hundred yards.
I even alloyed the pewter to pour the nosecap on it so it balanced just right. I used a little more lead than decorative pewter you see these days.

I made the stock from a down tree I got off of a neighbors house during Isabel.

sharps-58.jpg

This is my small bore backup, a .54 Sharps I made from a casting and American Sharps Co Parts.

sharps.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is my normal hunting rifle. Scratch built 58 with a DeHaas barrel. I forged all the fittings and lockplate and used Chambers parts inside the lock. The double set trigger was all scratch built and set breaks at considerably less than an ounce.
Most people don't realize it but full buckhorn sights were the first ghosting ring sights. I made the one on this with a fine bead bar that I set for a hundred yards.
I even alloyed the pewter to pour the nosecap on it so it balanced just right. I used a little more lead than decorative pewter you see these days.

I made the stock from a down tree I got off of a neighbors house during Isabel.

sharps-58.jpg

This is my small bore backup, a .54 Sharps I made from a casting and American Sharps Co Parts.

sharps.jpg

Works of art Peter!