• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA. law for carrying OUTSIDE incorporated area?

Jeff. State

Banned
I live near the CA. border in Oregon. What are the laws if I want to hike in the Nat. Forest areas around the Smith River or further south in the Sierras?

From what I gather OC is only banned in incorporated areas.

Thanks.

EMNofSeattle

Damn California law is insane, I had to read over 10 paragraphs of information to get to this.

12031. (a)(1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

It would appear to me that the legality is determined by the county code or charter and what they say about firearms. and of course you should probably ask a lawyer as there is so much in the firearms law that cross-references and contradicts each other.

I can't believe this, just one of those paragraphs in that law section feels longer then the firearm codes of WA and OR combined.....

I think you should ask Condition 3 or one of those people, this is way to complex for my mortal mind to comprehend.

mjones

I live near the CA. border in Oregon. What are the laws if I want to hike in the Nat. Forest areas around the Smith River or further south in the Sierras?

From what I gather OC is only banned in incorporated areas.

I know its a beast, but I highly recommend you look at this thread on another forum.

Its the definitive resource for guns in forests and parks within California.