• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal/Open question

86mustang

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Just wanted to say that this is a very interesting site I just found the other day.

I have had my CCW for over 5 years. I have always maintained a very low profile with my pistol when I carry. I havealways been very carefull not to allow this weapon to"print" orbe visable should my over covering shirt or jacket blow in the wind. From what I read from other posters, I could open carry in Jackson MOandfor that matter Cape County, BUTnot in City of Cape.

My question is, when I am in a city such as Jackson, and Iconceal carry, do I need to take such precautions as to not allow my weapon be viewed or should I continue to do what I have done for many years.

All responses would be welcome.

Thank you,

John563

imported post

Only my view.......If your going to conceal carry then conceal it. No one should see it or even know that you have it. Do as you have been doing if its working well for you. If you open carry make sure that its visible.Like you I concealed for years until my son turned 21 and wanted to carry, we started looking into the laws of our area and found that we have nothing against open carry. To show support for him I to started open carry. Then I found OCDO and found out that this thing is going on all over(open carry). Now we open carry most everywhere we go I've found out that by OCing that you can help educate other about there right to carry easer than you can by concealing it. this helps to reduce the "man with a gun " call. I also realize thata lot ofpeople who conceal dont care about educating others even tho they talk alot about it. They are also the first ones to complain when the LEO's stop them because of a"man with a gun call" come in.

ComSec is doing a fantastic job at putting together a missouri map of city's that allow open carry. take a look at it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've open carried in Jackson many a time and especially in hot weather will actually choose to shop in Jackson Wal-Mart instead of Cape just so I don't have to deal with the extra added cover garment. Never had any issue although I did once have some management just happen to be everywhere I was in Wal-Mart one night but they never said anything. My research indicates that the only non-OC statute in Cape county is in Cape City. I know of no municipality in Bollinger County that has a no-OC ordinance nor have I heard of one. I have heard that no place in Scott or Perry County are no-OC but I have not been able to confirm that is true about Scotty City or Perryville although the evasiveness in answering implies that there is no statute against it but they would prefer you don't.

Printing is not an offense in MO nor is incidental/accidental display of your concealed firearm e.g. although you cannot OC in Cape, if I am CC with a sports coat and brush it back revealing my sidearm while reaching for my wallet it is not a crime as I understand it.

I typically am of the frame of mind to truly CC when I CC and truly OC when I OC even if either is legal. On the other hand, because I find Cape's ordinance truly irritating and irrational, especially in 90F+ weather, and in an occassional pique about the city officials in general, I have been known to print pretty darn obviously in Cape while out shopping and such and have never had an issue. Actually had a friendly conversation once with a couple LEO on foot patrol downtown when I was printing particularly obviously. We were laughing and joking about it.

IMO it is all about circumstances. There are times I think it is appropriate to more carefully/deeply CC and other times being more casual is not an issue. So many people around here have guns and/or are familiar with them I don't think it is as much of an issue as in other parts of the state. I think the very few number of places that have no gun signs bears out that thought. On the other hand I'm not trying to freak out people in the community or cause them alarm and discomfort by being careless about how I carry/conceal and them thinking I am flashing my sidearm or something. Hence the CC or OC as appropriate but generally pick one and stick with it.

Diver_59

imported post

I agree with you about the ordinance in the city of Cape, It's a lot more comfortable to OC when the weather is unbearably hot. I do very little buisness in Cape if i can do it in Jackson...but if I do have to go to Cape , I keep a very thin print shirt in my truck
and I never button it and if I print I don't worry about...it's not a crime if I do.

86mustang

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Thank you all for your responses, they all have very good points. Since CC has worked for me over the years I believe I will continue to do so.

Again thank you for your responses.

Humpnutz

Just wanted to say that this is a very interesting site I just found the other day.

I have had my CCW for over 5 years. I have always maintained a very low profile with my pistol when I carry. I havealways been very carefull not to allow this weapon to"print" orbe visable should my over covering shirt or jacket blow in the wind. From what I read from other posters, I could open carry in Jackson MOandfor that matter Cape County, BUTnot in City of Cape.

My question is, when I am in a city such as Jackson, and Iconceal carry, do I need to take such precautions as to not allow my weapon be viewed or should I continue to do what I have done for many years.

All responses would be welcome.

Thank you,

I am new to open carry and pistols in general I am getting my first pistol this week and planing to open carry I have spoke with cape county Sargent jones the county has no law saying you can't open carry I have also spoke with a few officers from Jackson pd and they do not have any ordiancaes saying you can't open carry either so it shouldn't be a problem to print nor let shirt/ jacket blow in wind you may be contacted by police but friendly talking should go along why I play to test the open carry thru jackson in the weeks to come I will repost and let you know how it goes

mspgunner

I am new to open carry and pistols in general I am getting my first pistol this week and planing to open carry I have spoke with cape county Sargent jones the county has no law saying you can't open carry I have also spoke with a few officers from Jackson pd and they do not have any ordiancaes saying you can't open carry either so it shouldn't be a problem to print nor let shirt/ jacket blow in wind you may be contacted by police but friendly talking should go along why I play to test the open carry thru jackson in the weeks to come I will repost and let you know how it goes

There are many previous posts here and throughout the OC world. NEVER, NEVER ask the police if OC is legal. You may have some "friendly" OC officers there butLEOs generally do not know the laws and will tell you what they want to tell you. The only way to know for sure isto check the municipal laws at the City hall or Court House, which ever is applicable where you live. Please go back and read others posts.
Carry often, know the laws and know what to say and most importantly what NOT to say to the police.

Humpnutz

There are many previous posts here and throughout the OC world. NEVER, NEVER ask the police if OC is legal. You may have some "friendly" OC officers there butLEOs generally do not know the laws and will tell you what they want to tell you. The only way to know for sure isto check the municipal laws at the City hall or Court House, which ever is applicable where you live. Please go back and read others posts.
Carry often, know the laws and know what to say and most importantly what NOT to say to the police.

Thank you for the advise I have been reading these oc post for weeks prior to getting an account on here and I have read the city ordiancaes and county before calling them I have print outs of both highlighted the carry parts never says anything Bout open carry just that you can't carry projectiles that explode upon impact due to an independant explosion called just to check and spoke to mean people about it I will carry the print out along with an copy of the missiouri second amendment and terry v Ohio as others have said to carry along with you when ocing thank you for the imput I never trust Leo's due to the fact of getting dwi due to a cop lien saying I took test when I never did

Last edited:

Richieg150

There are many previous posts here and throughout the OC world. NEVER, NEVER ask the police if OC is legal. You may have some "friendly" OC officers there butLEOs generally do not know the laws and will tell you what they want to tell you. Please go back and read others posts.

Thats is great advise.....unfortunately being a LEO, doesnt magically make them actualy know the laws they are supposed to enforce, asking their opinion, advice, permission, blessing, knowledge, ect.... is a roll of the dice.When I started Open Carrying, I quiclky found out this very thing......YOU know the gun laws where you plan to carry, and you will know more than most the LEO's you will encounter.

mspgunner

Thats is great advise.....unfortunately being a LEO, doesnt magically make them actualy know the laws they are supposed to enforce, asking their opinion, advice, permission, blessing, knowledge, ect.... is a roll of the dice.When I started Open Carrying, I quiclky found out this very thing......YOU know the gun laws where you plan to carry, and you will know more than most the LEO's you will encounter.

This is a very LONG video but it appears on many 2A forums and gives a lot of good information. also there are many youtube videos on how to handle law enforcement encounters (when you are pulled over and or carrying a forearm) worth the time to seek them out! Your mouth is your biggest enemy. Not easy to shut up but that is not only what is best, it's your right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo2GG8jNe_o&feature=share

Humpnutz

This is a very LONG video but it appears on many 2A forums and gives a lot of good information. also there are many youtube videos on how to handle law enforcement encounters (when you are pulled over and or carrying a forearm) worth the time to seek them out! Your mouth is your biggest enemy. Not easy to shut up but that is not only what is best, it's your right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo2GG8jNe_o&feature=share

I have watch many videos on this and I will no be saying more then that I am missouri citison and I am armed as my state and town allows me too practicing my 2nd amendment right and ill just hand them all the paper work proving and see how it goes from there

Richieg150

I have watch many videos on this and I will no be saying more then that I am missouri citison and I am armed as my state and town allows me too practicing my 2nd amendment right and ill just hand them all the paper work proving and see how it goes from there

You will most likely have no problem doing exactly like you said......the problem arises when you tell them you are a missouri citizen,armed like my state and town allows me to,practicing my 2nd amendment right....then refusing to surrender ID. My negative encounters with LEO's, usually started when they asked if I had ID and I replied I do, then they asked IF they could see it, and I politely refused.By negative I mean, they tried questioning me and tried to convince me that I was wrong and had to provide my ID when asked. After they realize, that I'm not going to comply with their request.....so far....I have always been free to go about my business and told to HAVE A NICE DAY.

mspgunner

I am I being detained? (They need a RAS to detain you) Am I under arrest?(Very formal, they read you your rights, [SHUT THE YOU KNOW WHAT UP!] if this was a false arrest you are entitled to compensation!) Then "Am I free to go?" end of encounter.