• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scotland's Independence and Texas Secession

qednick

It's interesting that most American-based news outlets are keeping rather quiet about this whole Scottish Independence referendum thing that's going on (http://news.yahoo.com/fate-united-kingdom-hangs-balance-latest-scotland-polls-112849265--sector.html). Most likely because they know it gives hope to other regions that they may gain independence--from Catalonia in Spain to Texas in the US. In just a few days the Scots will vote whether or not to break from the United Kingdom and become an independent and free nation after 300+ years of being tied with England.

This raises a lot of interesting talking points about Texas and what would happen upon secession. I'm honestly on-the-fence about such issues but I must admit, the thought of being part of a newly independent nation with a more solidified constitution that protects our rights and severely limits an overbearing government does sound appealing--especially if we ended up with true constitutional carry and no more IRS!

Some interesting tidbits and questions:

Like Texas, Scotland is rich in oil and other mineral wealth. However, most of the "No" camp over there have said they're only voting no because they're worried about their UK-based pensions and benefits that they've been paying into all their lives. I wonder if the newly minted nation would replace those for them?

Is it true that Texas alone would be one of the largest economies in the world (top 20?). I believe Texas could be self-sufficient with it's own power supply, mineral wealth, etc.

What about national defense?

If Scotland does seceed, I suspect Wales and Northern Ireland would soon follow. If, hypothetically speaking, Texas did seceed, do you think many more states would follow suit?

With the opportunity to create a brand new "national" constitution, what would you like to see in it? How would you reword the original Bill of Rights to prevent future misinterpretations by activist judges, etc.?

qednick

The various Confederate States of America tried to secede. Why would you expect modern secession to end differently?

Worse, the Constitution of the United States was closer, then in 1860, much more a confederation of sovereign states, while now the states are far from sovereign.

Had Scotland tried to seceed in 1860 I suspect there would've been a war then too. If this vote succeeds then it will be a peaceable separation. Perhaps times have changed?

Also, being "far from soveriegn" could very well be why folks would want this now??

WalkingWolf

The break up of the Soviet Union could not have happened in 1960, but it did a few year later. Many countries are now sovereign that were not. If Texas does secede I suspect it will be peaceful, though not well received. And I believe other states will follow, the federal government has to take a step back or sooner or later the people will get fed up.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The break up of the Soviet Union could not have happened in 1960, but it did a few year later. Many countries are now sovereign that were not. If Texas does secede I suspect it will be peaceful, though not well received. And I believe other states will follow, the federal government has to take a step back or sooner or later the people will get fed up.

As long as TX leaves a little corridor for the illegals to come to the US, I'm sure that all the democrats would be happy.

SFCRetired

If, and this is a huge IF, we again have a secession of the southern states, it will end quite differently. For the simple reason that the South is far more industrialized than it was in 1861. Not to mention that there are several large armaments factories in the area that were nonexistent in 1861.

There is also the high probability of many of the present-day military following the example that was set by many back in 1861. There were many West Point graduates filling out the ranks of the Confederate army. Had the South the logistics base that the North had, there might have been a very different outcome.

The question in my mind is this, "What will be the trigger that sets the states to seceding this time around?"

SFCRetired

The same as last time, the relative worth of men, citizens, non-citizens, legal aliens, illegal aliens, productive, non-productive.

The principle is that all men are created equal, we all start dependent and stupid. Some change at a greater rate than others.

While you have very good points and are right on the money, I had in mind a specific event or events when I posed my question. Are we going to have a false-flag event that sees nation-wide martial law declared or some other, similar event?

My own prediction is that the present occupant of the White House is going to do something to try to retain the power he has. Power is probably the only drug more addictive than heroin.

Please understand that I am most devoutly praying that I am completely, utterly wrong in my assessment.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Please understand that I am most devoutly praying that I am completely, utterly wrong in my assessment.

Don't worry, you are.

Obama doesn't hold an iota of power. Those who do are not giving it up each election cycle – regardless of whether an (R) or a (D) wins. The status quo persists, and those made wealthy by state privilege will continue to get wealthier.

In fact, the fantastical fear of Obama The Tyrant (as though he is somehow distinct from the US government as a whole) is precisely one of the tools by which this process occurs. Abandon it, or persist as a puppet.

Obama will "abdicate", and yet you will continue to get less free. Mark my words.

Last edited:

qednick

Well, the point of my original post isn't to advocate secession or things one way or another. I'm sure there's other places for that. It was mainly that should Scotland go independent, they have the opportunity to start with a clean slate, for better or for worse. Hypothetically, if Texas did the same, what would you like to see in a new "clean slate" constitution? How can the original constitution be improved, solidified, etc., to protect the citizens rights against an overbearing government?

OC for ME

The sign that secession leads to liberty, or the restoration of liberties lost, will be recognition that each human has the unfettered right to carry a firearm in defense of themselves, their loved ones, and their property. That property (land) is sacrosanct and shall never be violated by the state...not even one red cent from a tax.

Scotts should vote yes because they are not English. Texas, well, I know where it is on a map. I prefer to drive through it, when I have to, when I take I-44/I-40 and head out to the left coast.

qednick

That it has been corrupted is our fault and our doom.

I agree with that statement but I think you're missing the point... if it had been worded differently, it may have made it harder for activist judges, etc. to "reinterpret" aspects of it. Additionally, I'm primarily talking about the Texas constitution here. A prime example would be (IMO) to take off the bit about regulating the wearing of arms to prevent crime.

qednick

The sign that secession leads to liberty, or the restoration of liberties lost, will be recognition that each human has the unfettered right to carry a firearm in defense of themselves, their loved ones, and their property. That property (land) is sacrosanct and shall never be violated by the state...not even one red cent from a tax.

I like that. How about:

The sign that secession leads to liberty, or the restoration of liberties lost, will be recognition that each person has the unfettered right to carry arms and ammunition in defense of themselves, their property, and fellow citizens. That such shall never be hindered, taxed, licensed nor registered by the State.

SFCRetired

Don't worry, you are.

Obama doesn't hold an iota of power. Those who do are not giving it up each election cycle – regardless of whether an (R) or a (D) wins. The status quo persists, and those made wealthy by state privilege will continue to get wealthier.

In fact, the fantastical fear of Obama The Tyrant (as though he is somehow distinct from the US government as a whole) is precisely one of the tools by which this process occurs. Abandon it, or persist as a puppet.

Obama will "abdicate", and yet you will continue to get less free. Mark my words.

It is not so much that person (I don't even like using his name) with whom I am concerned as I am with those behind him and controlling him. You don't really think that he is acting without instructions, do you? He is not that smart.

The object of his ineffectual Presidency is to further divide the populace along racial and economic lines.

@qednick: Please do not misunderstand me; I do not advocate secession as that would most likely lead to an even bloodier war than the first War of Northern Aggression. I do believe, from the rumblings I hear from many different sources (not all of them in the South), that it is inevitable. It may not happen in my lifetime, but it will happen during my grandchildren's lives.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
It is not so much that person (I don't even like using his name) with whom I am concerned as I am with those behind him and controlling him. You don't really think that he is acting without instructions, do you? He is not that smart.

No, but that's just it. The "puppet masters" (it may be slightly less overtly conspiratorial than that, but you get the drift...) don't need Obama. They don't even need a Democrat. They merely need someone who will play ball, and it's a safe bet that any candidate who receives an (R) or (D) nomination is willing to play ball.

Part of the illusion is the regular replacement of the POTUS.

Elm Creek Smith

Texas secede? Refloat the Texas and refit and recommission the Lexington! Maybe the "northern counties" (Oklahoma) would join in seceding. We have a submarine! Texas Republic Navy! :D

The Truth

All other constitutions are merely the tyrant's edicts recorded for the supression of the people. COTUS bound the tyrant government. That it has been corrupted is our fault and our doom.

Very true. But how can we get it back? It will take decades or centuries longer than it took for things to devolve into their current state.

I like that. How about:

The sign that secession leads to liberty, or the restoration of liberties lost, will be recognition that each person has the unfettered right to carry arms and ammunition in defense of themselves, their property, and fellow citizens. That such shall never be hindered, taxed, licensed nor registered by the State.

Love it!

Kopis

If texas left, the democratic party would be in big trouble because texas would put a quick stop to all the illegals pouring through the border.

McLintock

If texas left, the democratic party would be in big trouble because texas would put a quick stop to all the illegals pouring through the border.

True, but if they did leave the U.S. the democratic party would be in control of the US guberment because the GOP needs that red state to win the White House. But Texas would become the largest country in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

True, but if they did leave the U.S. the democratic party would be in control of the US guberment because the GOP needs that red state to win the White House. But Texas would become the largest country in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Billary being our next president, and the current lack of voter ID, I doubt we will ever see anything but a democrat president.

But Texas will not be alone, Alaska would follow. And probably other states as the US becomes more left coast orientated.

Secession is the only way we will keep our RKBA, as soon as a conservative justice dies so will the 2nd amendment. I suspect all red states will follow Texas as the progressives tighten their grip.

Last edited: