• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Registration issues!

wewd

There is no law prohibiting you from carrying it. Technically the gun was yours the moment you sent off the paperwork for the intrafamilial transfer. It may not be "in the system" yet as registered to you, but as previously stated, a) there is no general requirement for handguns to be registered in California, and b) you may still borrow your parent's gun for a period of up to 30 days at a time, which resets the moment they retake possession of it. The only issues that may arise from carrying an unregistered handgun or one not registered to you, is that there are some sentencing enhancements and misdemeanor -> felony elevators for some crimes. Don't commit any crimes and you shouldn't have to worry. Stay out of school zones and other prohibited places, keep it out in the open at all times, and keep it unloaded. Speedloaders in your pocket are fine.

Robin47

Thanks that was easy

One more thing, make sure you keep a copy handy of your recipt showing you paid the $20.00
and any other paper work, make 2 copies. Keep original ones at home.
You don't need to carry any papers on you either.
That would be only needed if there was needed in a court.
As long as you "could show "you were waiting for your papers to come back, you should be safe.

Robin47 :)

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

Not exactly what i meant. I don't want any issues with possibly losing my firearm do to registration. Other incidents with the LEO is not that big of a deal. Most around me are laid back and very respectful. Otherwise i dont mind the interaction with the LEO. I just want to keep my gun.

mjones

Ha. You are going to UOC and you don't want any issues with police or law enforcement. Umm UOC long enough and you will be hassled. Read and search the Penal Code yourself. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Not necesarily true, but I think its generally true. I've been OCing off and on since the early 90s and I still have yet to be e-checked.