• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Talked to Marysville Tulalip Walmart store manager today about OCing.

mparramore

I went to the sports dept at Wally world today and saw the 80 dollar 45 acp rounds...wow. The dept worker came by and talked to me about the price and he mentioned that he has a 1911 but he reloads instead of buying..Wow, cool guy to talk to I thought. Then we got to talking about OCing and gun laws. So, I asked him about carrying in the store. He tells me that nobody can OC in the store..only conceal, and if a gun was in site and there is a code that has to be called over the intercom.:eek: I was really surprised by this asked the associate if he was positive of this and he tells me he is. So, instead of trying to debate over this I left and called the store manager. She tells me that absolutely nobody can OC in the store with or without a CPL. I can conceal carry with a CPL only and IF the gun was ever seen by an employee I would be asked to leave the store. So, the next call was to Corporate to see if this was true.. They say that there is no policy on guns and each store follows the state and federal Laws. Concealing is fine as long as there is a CPL. The individual can be kicked out for OCing.
From what I have read from different people here is that each person had a different experience at Wally world. There is nothing set in stone at walmart. One manager says its ok and the next says no it's not.
This is very frustrating:mad:

amzbrady

Amazing how many people like to poke their pecker into a hornets nest. If your over 21, do you call ahaed for approval to drink at private bars too?

edited to add... This is very frustrating

Last edited:

amzbrady

Welcome to OCDO, we do not ask permission to do what is legal. Do some searching, there are many, many, many threads on the whole Wally world thing. There is even a corporate letter from Wally world stating that they just do what state law says. OC is legal in WA. Ask around for direction on this matter. There might be something different with Tulalip if it is on a indian res, but if not it is WA state and legal. M1Gunner has a link to corporate letters. Again welcome and ask around for non legal advice if you have questions.

amlevin

First a little story. Has anyone here seen the FIRST "Thomas Crown Affair" movie? If you have, do you remember the scene where Mr. Crown and his henchmen went into an exhibition hall and cleaned out a display. Everyone was wearing coveralls, had hand-trucks, and went about their business as if they knew what they were doing. NOBODY challenged them and they made off with thousands of dollars worth of high-end electronics, etc.

How, you ask does this relate to OC'ing in Walmart, or anywhere else for that matter? It's sort of the same. If you are dressed appropriately, not calling special attention to yourself, and go about your shopping as if you know what you want and again, don't call attention to yourself, you will probably not even be noticed. If you are noticed, and questioned, just respond politely that in this State OC is perfectly legal and again, GO ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS. Unless you are directed to leave, just keep shopping.

In Wal-Mart I find it hard enough to find someone who knows where the "Fruit of the Loom" underwear is. Why would I expect anyone in the Store to know whether OC is legal or not. If I am asked to leave, I will merely leave and they can re-stock whatever is in my basket. If I have paid and then told I can't OC in the store, I will then ask them to accompany me to the Customer Service desk where I will be getting a "refund" for all my purchases. Wal-Mart is not the ONLY place to shop.

sudden valley gunner

I've OC'd in that store several times with no problems.
What you will find often is employees or managers will tell you what they would like to see and hope you buy it as policy.

Just go about your legal activity without asking permission.

devildoc5

In my humble experience I have discovered that the easiest way to find out a policy regarding OC is to just do it and NOT ask.

I recently had a run in at BoA, and the vast number of "gun savy" neighbors all told me I was in the wrong and that a gun in a bank is illegal. As well as being told so by the personal banker that trespasssed me from the store. HOWEVER once I had been asked to leave I simply stated "you know OC is legal in WA right?" I was told "Except in banks" To which I stated "ok have a nice day, and oh by the way can I have a card for your branch manager?" I recieved the card and immediately left.

I called the manager and she apologized PROFUSELY.

I have been to too many places to mention while OCing and this is the ONLY incident I have had.

Moral of the story? Just do it and then POLITELY followup with management IF you are asked to leave.

mparramore

Thank you guys for helping me out here. It's time to go out and exercise my right! of course with common sense!

Last edited:

amzbrady

Print out a corporate letter and present it to whomever told you, you could not openly carry in wal mart. It is good to educate those who are uneducated. Our state laws should be taught in school.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Excellent!

Wow! Excellent, concise and relevant analogy!

First a little story. Has anyone here seen the FIRST "Thomas Crown Affair" movie? If you have, do you remember the scene where Mr. Crown and his henchmen went into an exhibition hall and cleaned out a display. Everyone was wearing coveralls, had hand-trucks, and went about their business as if they knew what they were doing. NOBODY challenged them and they made off with thousands of dollars worth of high-end electronics, etc.

How, you ask does this relate to OC'ing in Walmart, or anywhere else for that matter? It's sort of the same. If you are dressed appropriately, not calling special attention to yourself, and go about your shopping as if you know what you want and again, don't call attention to yourself, you will probably not even be noticed. If you are noticed, and questioned, just respond politely that in this State OC is perfectly legal and again, GO ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS. Unless you are directed to leave, just keep shopping.

In Wal-Mart I find it hard enough to find someone who knows where the "Fruit of the Loom" underwear is. Why would I expect anyone in the Store to know whether OC is legal or not. If I am asked to leave, I will merely leave and they can re-stock whatever is in my basket. If I have paid and then told I can't OC in the store, I will then ask them to accompany me to the Customer Service desk where I will be getting a "refund" for all my purchases. Wal-Mart is not the ONLY place to shop.

devildoc is new and correct and has it figured out! great example!

In my humble experience I have discovered that the easiest way to find out a policy regarding OC is to just do it and NOT ask.

I recently had a run in at BoA, and the vast number of "gun savy" neighbors all told me I was in the wrong and that a gun in a bank is illegal. As well as being told so by the personal banker that trespasssed me from the store. HOWEVER once I had been asked to leave I simply stated "you know OC is legal in WA right?" I was told "Except in banks" To which I stated "ok have a nice day, and oh by the way can I have a card for your branch manager?" I recieved the card and immediately left.

I have been to too many places to mention while OCing and this is the ONLY incident I have had.

Moral of the story? Just do it and then POLITELY followup with management IF you are asked to leave.

deanf

Print out a corporate letter and present it to whomever told you, you could not openly carry in wal mart. It is good to educate those who are uneducated. Our state laws should be taught in school.

And when she asks you to leave again, then what?

Waving a letter under the manager's nose doesn't relieve her of her authority to kick you out.

amlevin

Our state laws should be taught in school.
They used to be. That was before the age of PC and teachers being able to push their own political agandas.

In Washington State it even used to be a requirement that Washington Stte History be taught in schools. Nowdays it's more important to learn about junk science like Global Warming. (just had one of the coolest summers in recorded history here in WA State.

Jeff Hayes

+1

Aaron1124

They used to be. That was before the age of PC and teachers being able to push their own political agandas.

In Washington State it even used to be a requirement that Washington Stte History be taught in schools. Nowdays it's more important to learn about junk science like Global Warming. (just had one of the coolest summers in recorded history here in WA State.

You mean Global Governance?

sudden valley gunner

And when she asks you to leave again, then what?

Waving a letter under the manager's nose doesn't relieve her of her authority to kick you out.

You leave,
but if they are open minded enough to look at what you have maybe they'll change their mind and not ask you to leave.

amzbrady

You leave,
but if they are open minded enough to look at what you have maybe they'll change their mind and not ask you to leave.

Or you make sure that you get the name of the employee/manager tresspassing you and file a complaint with the corporate office and be sure to let them know who it is that is preventing you from making your purchases while legally carrying according to Washington state law, at that specific Wal-Mart.

mparramore

Update..

This morning, I received a call today from the assistant store manager at walmart. Apparently yesterday after I talked to corporate about their policy, they sent an email to the Tulalip Walmart. The asst' manager said that she received an email from the President of Walmart..yeah right. I can go to Walmart OCing as long as I have a CPL. If I am approached my a Manager I have to show them my CPL...WHAAAA??? Also, the store manager is out for a week to conferences and she would talk to her when she gets back about what kind of rules she wants for her store and they would call me back with that managers policy. too funny.
After reading what Amzbrady replied to the thread, Amzbrady is so right. Why bother poking the hornets nest? Its my right after all.
Today, my wife wanted to go get her nails done at walmart and I needed some ink for my printer. What a good time to bust my own cherry and start OCing. Thats what I did. Walked around Walmart waited for my wife to get done for over an hour...not 1 person or associate bothered me. I have to say that it did feel weird walking around with a .45 attached to my hip out in the open. I guess it will take some time to get used to. Alot of looks but no comments. I smiled and greeted people if they eyeballed me. :eek: On the way out, there was long lines at the checkout stands. I stood there which felt like an eternity especially when it feels like the whole world is starring down your neck. When nobody was. I have to say again it certainly does feel weird. Is this just me???
Anyway, we went to half priced books, red robins and borders books.. No problems at all.

amzbrady

mparramore, Is that the Wal-mart that is off I-5 by some spoon and fork steak house, and they have 3 big entrances, Produce on the left, middle at registers, and far right is garden center. If you walk in the left side and turn right you pass a subway, a nail salon, a hair solan, restrooms, and opticle? If so thats the one that we went to, passed an older gentleman greeter, He said nothing, we walked around for about an hour, Talked to Jorge in electronics, And had no problems. Oh, where we pulled in there was a sign that said no overnight parking, which must be a city ordinance because most wally worlds dont mind boondocking.

The Patriot

feeling Weird

I have to say that it did feel weird walking around with a .45 attached to my hip out in the open. I guess it will take some time to get used to. Alot of looks but no comments. I smiled and greeted people if they eyeballed me. On the way out, there was long lines at the checkout stands. I stood there which felt like an eternity especially when it feels like the whole world is starring down your neck. When nobody was. I have to say again it certainly does feel weird. Is this just me???

I can honestly say that I too felt wierd. I even posted about it on the forums here. But to give you all kudos, you all are a great support when needed info and encouragement. I had my run in with winco and am still getting all the facts. But on my days off from work, I never leave with out my Glock.

And I did carry at Walmart here in Vancouver (The one by I-205) late night shopping with my wife and had no issues. And I also had to wait in line for about 10 min.

Still no issues.

Thanks,