• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Library carry?

Contrarian

I'm having a brain freeze and Google is no help - what RCW/WAC etc covers carry in a Seattle Public Library?
Not as concerned with KCL system, just Seattle. Link appreciated.

deanf

You won't find a law or rule authorizing you to carry in the library.

Remember: If it's not specifically prohibited in the law, it's permitted.

It's called the British Common Law system. It's what we operate under in the United States.

amlevin

It's called the British Common Law system. It's what we operate under in the United States.

Except for Louisiana. They use the Napoleonic Code as the basis of their Justice system.

"Laws could be applied only if they had been duly promulgated, and only if they had been published officially (including provisions for publishing delays, given the means of communication available at the time); thus no secret laws were authorized. It prohibited ex post facto laws (i.e., laws that apply to events that occurred before them). The code also prohibited judges from refusing justice on grounds of insufficiency of the law—therefore encouraging them to interpret the law. On the other hand, it prohibited judges from passing general judgments of a legislative value.

This has often been interpreted to mean that unlike English Common Law, if it hasn't been codified in law, the Judge gets to decide. They don't, however, get to "legislate from the bench".

Contrarian

We got Spokane covered. The library board is meeting next week to change the language. Credit to Bennie and Kwolfhound:

Is there any hope that a result from the dry side of the State would apply to SPL? It might help if we could show that at least part of Washington gets it.

Lovenox

I forgot.....

This is the template email I recieved back the same day..

Hello Seattle Public Library (WA) has received your question. You will receive an e-mail message with the answer as soon as possible.

It says that responses are usually given within two days. This is the second business day, how much longer is a respectable time to give to them? Anbody?

Lovenox

I'd say that "usually two days" should probably be viewed as an "average" between immediate and max time, so I'd give 'em four days as my rule-of-thumb.

YMMV :D

Should I doit with a phone call or email? I perfer email because it offers a record of conversation, but a phone call carries with it more "authority".

Lovenox

Here is their response!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the response I received...so what is our next move?

Greetings from The Seattle Public Library. Thank you for your question about our Rules of Conduct. Under state law, the Library Board is required to enact such reasonable rules and regulations as the trustees find necessary to assure the greatest benefit to the greatest number. Because the Library is a sensitive place, like a school or government building, dedicated principally to reading and education, the Library has long had a policy that possession of firearms is incompatible with the Library's purpose. Sincerely,
Andra Addison
Communications Director

Last edited:

Stretch

Hello Xxxxx,

I was deeply disappointed to read tonight of a response you provided which places the Seattle Public Library in direct violation of the State of Washington’s RCW’s.

In your response, quoted below, you represent the library as a sensitive government place. That is factually incorrect per, RCW 9.41.300, which clearly spells out locations which are allowed to prohibit firearms. You will notice that in no such language, libraries are not mentioned. Since the library is not listed as a place where firearms are prohibited, the Seattle Public Library system is creating a “law” or policy which directly violates RCW 9.41.290. State preemption, as linked, allows lawful citizens the right to openly carry a firearm inside the public libraries in this state, without fear of being trespassed or harassed.

I would respectfully request that the Seattle Public Library review the unlawful policy and immediately eliminate the unlawful language of this policy to coordinate with the State Law. As an example, and for your benefit, just this week the Spokane Library have amended their unlawful policy which also banned firearms in their library network as well. I hope that you will take the time to read the laws which pertain to this violation of our right’s as citizens and also encourage the change within your library network as well.

“Greetings from The Seattle Public Library. Thank you for your question about our Rules of Conduct. Under state law, the Library Board is required to enact such reasonable rules and regulations as the trustees find necessary to assure the greatest benefit to the greatest number. Because the Library is a sensitive place, like a school or government building, dedicated principally to reading and education, the Library has long had a policy that possession of firearms is incompatible with the Library's purpose. Sincerely,
Xxxxx Xxxxxxx
Communications Director”

My Best Regards,
Xxxx X. Xxxxxx