• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Orange County unloaded open carry

xnetc9

i want to unload open carry in orange county so to get more information, i went to the local gun store "turners outdoors" and asked them. they said that they have had customers open carry and end up getting hassled and harassed. yes, this is coming from the turner's outdoor clerks. they said that one way OCPD harassed UOCers were to stop them and seize the weapon. it is up to the gun owner to go to the sheriff's department to prove that the weapon was theirs. another way was officers would harass by doing constant checks every few hundred yards. the last way was to detain the person while they run a serial check on the gun. lastly, the clerk states that he would not open carry in OC because it was too much of a hassle to deal with OCPD and suggest that no one should carry a weapon. strange that this is coming from a gun sales clerk?

ok, i know from these stories from the clerk contain tons of violations, but can anyone here verify this? are there any open carry citizens in OC? Is OC such a safe haven that no one carries a gun?

oc4ever

no such thing as OCPD

Orange County has many cities that have their own police departments, and OC has a Sheriff's department., but no such thing as the OCPD. Some cities are tolerant to OC, Laguna Beach stands out. A large UOC event was held in the Laguna downtown area this year , and not one contact with any LEO's. Other cities and the Sheriff's department seem to be undertrained and not very knowledgeable regarding UOC laws, and you will get jerked around sooner than later carrying a gun. Since this is a highly populated county with many schools, OC'ing legally while traveling from city to city can be difficult without encroaching a school zone. Until our unelected Sheriff from Los Angeles loosens the CCW process up(she has the LA negative attitude towards citizens with guns) it is not the most friendly environment, and I would not UOC alone without a running recording device. This culture is not going to change until the Sheriff and police Chiefs are dragged by lawsuits into compliance from recent legal decisions. That is all they understand, and could care less about your gun rights, search and seizure of property, demanding ID, cuffing and putting in cars , etc. Pretty much the LA scenario, except less LEO's will show up than in LA.

Last edited:

xnetc9

yea, i meant OCSD. i rarely hang out at the school zones anyway. I would only like to open carry from my apt to my car at 5am down an alley and also from my car to my work place... which happens to be dangerous as well. santa ana isn't irvine... there's no school zones within 1000 ft because i checked with google earth.

UOC in laguna is different than UOC in santa ana or the poorer cities. LEO treats everyone as a criminal in santa ana. i wonder if there are any one who regularly UOC in OC.

Hutchens will never loosen up gun laws. i read she now requires CCW to take a college course on CCW? 16 weeks? no working person has that kind of time.

oc4ever

I agree living in Santa Ana is not like Irvine/Laguna.......Santa Ana has some pretty nasty neighborhoods that become very dangerous after dark.

Last edited:

ryanburbridge

Hutchens will never loosen up gun laws. i read she now requires CCW to take a college course on CCW? 16 weeks? no working person has that kind of time.

NEVER say never!

I would encourage you to study study study. Do NOT seek advice from people who do not know the law or have no experience with UOC. Once you have learned enough to be comfortable with your legal activity you may look for a group meet or someone in your area to join you. Know the law! No problem! No the law! Know problem!

With that said prepare for LEO contact positive or negative. I carry as much as possible in my daily life. Some times with my wife and kids I must way the five minute trip to the grocery to get milk and see if it worth UOCing and turning it into a possible hour to hour and a half detainment.

Start slow and stay safe.
apply for your CCW NOW! check cal guns foundation.
carry on!

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I would encourage you to study study study. Do NOT seek advice from people who do not know the law or have no experience with UOC.

QFT.

There is only one worse source of legal information than a anti-carry biased law enforcement officer, and that is an ignorant gun store clerk. Neither of these occupations qualifies them to dispense legal advice and while entertaining to hear their opinion and anecdotes, this is not an accurate source of information. If you want legal advice, seek out an attorney who specializes in California gun law.

ryanburbridge

QFT.

There is only one worse source of legal information than a anti-carry biased law enforcement officer, and that is an ignorant gun store clerk. Neither of these occupations qualifies them to dispense legal advice and while entertaining to hear their opinion and anecdotes, this is not an accurate source of information. If you want legal advice, seek out an attorney who specializes in California gun law.

Thanks for that! I had to google it LOL

hope this is not a thread jack OP

Question: What Is 'QFT'?
While participating in an online discussion forum about immigration laws, you see this strange expression "QFT". People post phrases like "QFT...well said" and "QFT +1".

Answer: This peculiar QFT acronym expression stands for "Quoted For Truth". It has two particular meanings when used in a discussion forum.

1) QFT is an expression of agreement and support, where the user stands behind you and one of your statements. This commonly occurs in controversial topics where opinions are very heated, and people will choose sides in an argument. If someone "quotes you for truth", they are paying you a compliment, and siding with you in the discussion.

2) QFT can also be used to preserve an original forum post, so that the original author cannot edit after the fact. A user who copy-pastes the original forum content will sometimes put the letters "QFT" at the top of the copy-paste. It is a type of forensic stamp, commonly used during very heated discussions on a controversial topic. The original author can no longer change their original text, because it is now preserved through someone else's post. The original author is prevented from denying what they originally wrote because the QFT public copy can refute any denial.

This QFT expression, like many other Internet expressions, is part of online conversation culture

xnetc9

did plenty of research on the law. read up and down those uoc and oc laws and it basically says u can carry a gun in a holster with mags. both must be visible and in no way concealed. that means a hanging jacket that may slightly cover the weapon counts as concealed. getting a leg strapped holster fixes that problem. the ammo must not be in the gun. 1000 ft away from schools because you know, criminals magically lose their guns within 1000 ft from a school.

the point i am asking is if the gun store clerk is telling the truth of LEOs harassing law-abiding UOCers in gun-fearing orange county. me and my girlfriend are ready to UOC together walking in malls etc etc but still shopping for a holster that can hold our 9mm with light mounts.

guess i'll just have to call santa ana PD and westminster PD and ask a sheriff/LEO about UOC.

Last edited:

xnetc9

[/QUOTE]
apply for your CCW NOW! check cal guns foundation.
carry on![/QUOTE]

tried that and failed. CCW is way harder than open carry. doesn't make much sense does it?

xnetc9

did plenty of research on the law. read up and down those uoc and oc laws and it basically says u can carry a gun in a holster with mags. both must be visible and in no way concealed. that means a hanging jacket that may slightly cover the weapon counts as concealed. getting a leg strapped holster fixes that problem. the ammo must not be in the gun. 1000 ft away from schools because you know, criminals magically lose their guns within 1000 ft from a school.

the point i am asking is if the gun store clerk is telling the truth of LEOs harassing law-abiding UOCers in gun-fearing orange county. me and my girlfriend are ready to UOC together walking in malls etc etc but still shopping for a holster that can hold our 9mm with light mounts.

guess i'll just have to call santa ana PD and westminster PD and ask a sheriff/LEO about UOC.

how's your experience with UOC in long beach? OC is just south of long beach... ever been detained by LEOs? got a lot of scared people? i got some people freak out when they know i have guns.

hgreen

Only talk to them if you want something from them like an OC map.

If you call and ask them "about" oc you will get no useful information. They are not ever going to say, "oh yeah UOC is great, go ahead, we totally support you doing it."

Just know the law, do your research, and exercise your rights. If there is any question about LEO interactions then OC in a group with cameras rolling.

xnetc9

i have only seen ONE UOC in orange county in the last 10 years at a restaurant. I thought the guy was an off duty cop back then but didn't freak out. that just shows how common this is.

hgreen

i have only seen ONE UOC in orange county in the last 10 years at a restaurant. I thought the guy was an off duty cop back then but didn't freak out. that just shows how common this is.

I'm pretty sure Elsensei OCed in OC a few weeks ago.

oc4ever

so you want to see the back of a police car?

ask wolfenstien about how well OCSD deputies know the laws about open carry..........

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...serial-run.-with-audio!&highlight=aliso+viejo

They cuffed him, took his ID after he repeatedly told them not to, and let him sit in the back of a Crown Victoria for awhile. So much for reading the training bulletins. The 4 deputies initially involved were complete unapologetic a-holes. Listen to the recording for yourself.

ryanburbridge

how's your experience with UOC in long beach? OC is just south of long beach... ever been detained by LEOs? got a lot of scared people? i got some people freak out when they know i have guns.

Ha Ha Ha!
Thought you would never ask. I have had two negative encounters in Long beach. I still carry any chance I get where legally allowed. its well worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbhqsZED0sY

http://www.opencarryradio.com/ episod #20

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10130167

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77835-Need-Help-In-Long-Beach-LBPD-ROUND-TWO

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77489-UOC-4th-of-July.-Police-contact.-Me-in-cuffs.

About the CCW. Look at what is going on NOW! Then tell me you are not into it.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...EQUEST-Volunteers-needed-in-every-county-ASAP!

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/

Did you say you have applied and have been denied? if so get legal help.

Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:

Funtimes

I carried in Anaheim this past week on two occasions. No issues to report (which is good). It is possible however people thought I was LEO due to my appearance. A few of the people I met in at the SBOC event even mentioned some people would probably think that.

K

kittyhawk63

Ryan,
I was listening to all these links. If it was the bookstore person who made the call, or you can find out who it was, that person should be charged for making a false emergency phone call when there was no true emergency being reported. MWAG who has a holstered firearm is not an emergency. MWAG with drawn gun and shooting people is an emergency. This should be challenged in the courts by CalGuns.org. That would end a lot of our problems with carrying firearms. This needs to be a federal and 50 state law.

Ryan, the discussion between liberty and freedom was wrong.

Here is what Webster's 1828 Dictionary says about Liberty.
LIB'ERTY, n. [L. libertas, from liber, free.]
1. Freedom from restraint, in a general sense, and applicable to the body, or to the will or mind. The body is at liberty, when not confined; the will or mind is at liberty, when not checked or controlled. A man enjoys liberty, when no physical force operates to restrain his actions or volitions.
2. Natural liberty, consists in the power of acting as one thinks fit, without any restraint or control, except from the laws of nature. It is a state of exemption from the control of others, and from positive laws and the institutions of social life. This liberty is abridged by the establishment of government.
3. Civil liberty, is the liberty of men in a state of society, or natural liberty, so far only abridged and restrained, as is necessary and expedient for the safety and interest of the society, state or nation. [However] restraint of natural liberty, not necessary or expedient for the public, is tyranny or oppression. Civil liberty is an exemption from the arbitrary will of others, which exemption is secured by established laws, which restrain every man from injuring or controlling another. Hence the restraints of law are essential to civil liberty.
The liberty of one depends not so much on the removal of all restraint from him, as on the due restraint upon the liberty of others.
In this sentence, the latter word liberty denotes natural liberty.
4. Political liberty, is sometimes used as synonymous with civil liberty. But it more properly designates the liberty of a nation, the freedom of a nation or state from all unjust abridgment of its rights and independence by another nation. Hence we often speak of the political liberties of Europe, or the nations of Europe.
5. Religious liberty, is the free right of adopting and enjoying opinions on religious subjects, and of worshiping the Supreme Being according to the dictates of conscience, without external control.
6. Liberty, in metaphysics, as opposed to necessity, is the power of an agent to do or forbear any particular action, according to the determination or thought of the mind, by which either is preferred to the other.
Freedom of the will; exemption from compulsion or restraint in willing or volition.
7. Privilege; exemption; immunity enjoyed by prescription or by grant; with a plural. Thus we speak of the liberties of the commercial cities of Europe.
8. Leave; permission granted. The witness obtained liberty to leave the court.
9. A space in which one is permitted to pass without restraint, and beyond which he may not lawfully pass; with a plural; as the liberties of a prison.
10. Freedom of action or speech beyond the ordinary bounds of civility or decorum. Females should repel all improper liberties.
To take the liberty to do or say any thing, to use freedom not specially granted.
To set at liberty, to deliver from confinement; to release from restraint.
To be at liberty, to be free from restraint.
Liberty of the press, is freedom from any restriction on the power to publish books; the free power of publishing what one pleases, subject only to punishment for abusing the privilege, or publishing what is mischievous to the public or injurious to individuals.

Here is what the dictionary says of freedom.
FREE'DOM, n.
1. A state of exemption from the power or control of another; liberty; exemption from slavery, servitude or confinement. Freedom is personal, civil, political, and religious. [See Liberty.]
2. Particular privileges; franchise; immunity; as the freedom of a city.
3. Power of enjoying franchises.
4. Exemption from fate, necessity, or any constraint in consequence of predetermination or otherwise; as the freedom of the will.
5. Any exemption from constraint or control. Ryan, a society cannot have unrestrained citizens doing "what they want in their own eyes. This leads to chaos. The potential problem in America is that the few tell the many how to live. That is a representative form of government. When you have a rogue government, like we now have, our liberties are taken from us."
6. Ease or facility of doing any thing. He speaks or acts with freedom.
7. Frankness; boldness. He addressed his audience with freedom.
8. License; improper familiarity; violation of the rules of decorum; with a plural. Beware of what are called innocent freedoms.

Last edited:

Mamma Jude

UOC in Costa Mesa

I UOC when I'm walking my dogs, granted it's not much more than a trip around the block, but I do it. I am very apprehensive of a LEO encounter because I don't have the money for a lawyer, so I don't UOC as much as I'd like.

I've thought about approaching Costa Mesa PD and asking them their stance on UOC, but I don't want to be harrassed.

I'd love to do a group UOC down here.

Gundude

I UOC when I'm walking my dogs, granted it's not much more than a trip around the block, but I do it. I am very apprehensive of a LEO encounter because I don't have the money for a lawyer, so I don't UOC as much as I'd like.

I've thought about approaching Costa Mesa PD and asking them their stance on UOC, but I don't want to be harrassed.

I'd love to do a group UOC down here.

The CMPD will prolly tell you not to carry.
Don't carry any ID and decline to answer any questions without legal advice and don't consent to any search. Also, stay 1000 ft from any schools.

oc4ever

staying 1000 feet away from a school in costa mesa is really hard, alot of schools all over town. be really careful.