• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An email I am writing to my Senator. What do you think?

bigdaddy1

I have started an email that I am going to send to my Senator (Republican Tim Carpenter) and Assembly Person (Democrat and anti-gun Peggy Krusick). I havent sent it yet, just wanted to get an idea of what some of you think of it so far.

Dear Senator Carpenter,

I am writing to you regarding my right of self protection, the second amendment of the United States and our own state Constitution. The right to keep and bear arms was so important to our forefathers they chose to make it second only to the right to our freedom of speech. For many years government has been restricting this right more and more, making it nearly impossible for the average citizen to exercise this guaranteed right. It is my understanding that you and other Wisconsin Senate members are contemplating a concealed carry permit system for Wisconsin that would require special licensing and mandatory training. I do not agree with this action as no other right guaranteed by our Constitution requires any type of license or training. Making these requirements degrades this right to a privilege. The right to defend oneself should never become a privilege.

When criminals have greater rights than victims, there is a serious problem. A problem Wisconsin currently has. Wisconsin needs to enact a "castle doctrine" so the citizens of this state can defend themselves from violent criminals and not be penalized for it. The right of self protection is not limited to the household, and neither should our right of defense. I would hope as a representative of the people of Wisconsin it would be your intent to protect your constituents and their rights.

If an honest citizen is legally able to purchase a firearm, that person should have the right and ability to carry that firearm how ever he or she chooses. Whether it be open and holstered or concealed, with out fear of harassment from police. Criminals do not obey the law, and do not concern themeselves with restrictions such as the gun free school zones. An honest citizen should be able to defend themselves where ever that person is.

I look forward to your opinion and suggestions.

J.Gleason

Banned
I say do not ask for approval. You are a voter and we voters have spoken this year at election time. Last fall I warned all of the legislators and Jim Doylette that the elction this year would show then how we feel about their deceitful ways. Everything I told them came true. But then if you ask some here they will just tell you I am nuts, don't have a clue, am way off base, making assumptions and presumptions, and lets not forget, speaking on behalf of others who do not agree with me.

Though you may want to include the Clark county Case and the position of the Jackson County DA

Other than that, Your letter looks fine and unrehearsed. Go for it.

Last edited:

bigdaddy1

I havent come up with a closing yet, and I may make some other changes as I re-read it. I will try to post it here again before I hit send.

M

McX

Looks good to me Daddy, lay it to them. Put the word upon them.

LOERetired

Closing

I have started an email that I am going to send to my Senator (Republican Tim Carpenter) and Assembly Person (Democrat and anti-gun Peggy Krusick). I havent sent it yet, just wanted to get an idea of what some of you think of it so far.

Dear Senator Carpenter,

I am writing to you regarding my right of self protection, the second amendment of the United States and our own state Constitution. The right to keep and bear arms was so important to our forefathers they chose to make it second only to the right to our freedom of speech. For many years government has been restricting this right more and more, making it nearly impossible for the average citizen to exercise this guaranteed right. It is my understanding that you and other Wisconsin Senate members are contemplating a concealed carry permit system for Wisconsin that would require special licensing and mandatory training. I do not agree with this action as no other right guaranteed by our Constitution requires any type of license or training. Making these requirements degrades this right to a privilege. The right to defend oneself should never become a privilege.

When criminals have greater rights than victims, there is a serious problem. A problem Wisconsin currently has. Wisconsin needs to enact a "castle doctrine" so the citizens of this state can defend themselves from violent criminals and not be penalized for it. The right of self protection is not limited to the household, and neither should our right of defense. I would hope as a representative of the people of Wisconsin it would be your intent to protect your constituents and their rights.

If an honest citizen is legally able to purchase a firearm, that person should have the right and ability to carry that firearm how ever he or she chooses. Whether it be open and holstered or concealed, with out fear of harassment from police. Criminals do not obey the law, and do not concern themeselves with restrictions such as the gun free school zones. An honest citizen should be able to defend themselves where ever that person is.

I look forward to your opinion and suggestions.

A good closing to use is compair what we have right now, open carry, which is absent of any type of license or training requirment, and if the legistature passes a bill requiring such that it would be a bill subject to a constitutional challange in the courts. In otherwords, if you can open carry now without permits and training per the Wisconsin Constitution, how could they pass a law denying what constitutional rights we now have. Concealed or open carry, you're still carrying for protection, the constitutional issue don't go away just becasue you cant see the firearm.

Don

bigdaddy1

Good subject matter Don. I will definitely be using the comparison. I will add this information to the first paragraph and close with the summarization.

LOERetired

Letter

Good subject matter Don. I will definitely be using the comparison. I will add this information to the first paragraph and close with the summarization.

Post the final draft so we can all have a format to send our own letters

Don