• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig Barrels

AFPVet

I wonder why Sig barrels are cut/button rifled. I would've thought that they would cold hammer forge them like Glock and H&K. I like the forged barrels more.

rodbender

Cut/buttoned rifled is the process they use to cut the riflings in the barrel. Cold forging is the process used to form the rough form of the barrell, then it is machined and the riflings are cut.

AFPVet

Cut/buttoned rifled is the process they use to cut the rifling in the barrel. Cold forging is the process used to form the rough form of the barrel, then it is machined and the rifling's are cut.

I meant polygonal cold forging :uhoh: I just don't like to use that word because polygonal rifling isn't always true polygonal....

AFPVet

I just like polygonal barrels like Glock. If you look at the two barrels, you can see a distinct difference. The Glock (polygonal) barrel looks like the rifling is subdued and the Sig rifling is very apparent. Furthermore, polygonal barrels typically provide a better seal, improved velocity and decreased barrel wear.

http://firearmsid.com/A_bulletIDrifling.htm

Don't get me wrong, the Sig barrel works very well; however, I would like to see them use polygonal rifling.

Last edited:

rodbender

I just like polygonal barrels like Glock. If you look at the two barrels, you can see a distinct difference. The Glock (polygonal) barrel looks like the rifling is subdued and the Sig rifling is very apparent. Furthermore, polygonal barrels typically provide a better seal, improved velocity and decreased barrel wear.

Don't get me wrong, the Sig barrel works very well; however, I would like to see them use polygonal rifling.

Cops don't like polygonal barrels. They are too hard to match ballistics. So I've heard.

Gunslinger

Thanks for the link. Interesting information. They're not "forging," per se, so it's not a barrel manufacturing process. Unusual term for rifling, but learn something new every day. Glock makes fine pistols--just not my cup of tea. I like Browning's designs--1911 or Hi-Power for many reasons. Trigger feel being at the top. Still, I'd never knock a Glock. They hit the market at the perfect time with the perfect pistol, although others are taking their market share pretty rapidly--SIG mainly, but M&P also.