• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

171.7 pc

ConsideringOC

New California law for 2011.

P.C. § 171.7 (New): Weapons in Public Transit Facilities:
Knowingly possessing a specified weapon within a sterile area of a public transit facility, if the sterile area has a
posted sign that provides reasonable notice.
Misdemeanor: Six months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.
The section applies to the following weapons: Firearms; imitation firearms; BB, pellet, or air pressure guns; military
practice hand grenades; replica hand grenades; unauthorized tear gas weapons; and undetectable knives. Exempts
peace officers, retired peace officers, specified law enforcement officers, and persons responsible for public transit
security.
Public transit includes buses, streetcars, light rail systems, rapid transit systems, subways, trains, and motor vehicles.
This new section does not prevent prosecution under any other provision of law.

Firemark

Knowingly possessing a specified weapon within a sterile area of a public transit facility, if the sterile area has a
The section applies to the following weapons: Firearms; imitation firearms; BB, pellet, or air pressure guns; military
practice hand grenades; replica hand grenades; unauthorized tear gas weapons; and undetectable knives. Exempts
peace officers, retired peace officers, specified law enforcement officers, and persons responsible for public transit
security.
Public transit includes buses, streetcars, light rail systems, rapid transit systems, subways, trains, and motor vehicles.

I believe this pertains to areas "sterile" as in limited access thru checkpoint/scanner and clearly marked/delineated (such as an airport terminal area). Although if they designate an area sterile that one can drive their personal Automobile into im not sure if this would apply, but it sure is very gray.

mjones

I think it has a huge target on its back for being 'unconstitutionally vague'

It has two huge holes in it that I see.

(2) "Sterile area" means any portion of a public transit facility
that is generally controlled in a manner consistent with the public
transit authority's security plan.

the other is

(g) This section shall be interpreted so as to be consistent with
Section 926A of Title 18 of the United States Code.

if I remember correctly, the two clauses greatly disagree with each other.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I think it has a huge target on its back for being 'unconstitutionally vague'

It has two huge holes in it that I see.

(2) "Sterile area" means any portion of a public transit facility
that is generally controlled in a manner consistent with the public
transit authority's security plan.

the other is

(g) This section shall be interpreted so as to be consistent with
Section 926A of Title 18 of the United States Code.

if I remember correctly, the two clauses greatly disagree with each other.

Great points. 926A deals with interstate travel with a firearm:

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's
compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
container other than the glove compartment or console.

So if I wish to travel from SF to Colorado by train, I'd need to first take a subway line to BART then take a bus to get on Amtrak. This would be considered part of my interstate travels, and thus I should be able to carry a firearm in accordance with 926A, but I'd be violating 171.7. Consistent? No.

Mike Hawk

So if I wish to travel from SF to Colorado by train, I'd need to first take a subway line to BART then take a bus to get on Amtrak. This would be considered part of my interstate travels, and thus I should be able to carry a firearm in accordance with 926A, but I'd be violating 171.7. Consistent? No.
Well, you deal in "logic" and "reason". That's your problem right there....:lol:

yawn

Great points. 926A deals with interstate travel with a firearm:

I have used all of those forms of transit and never passed through a sterile area... only at the airport do I pass through a sterile area. Is this going to be changing?

devildoc5

the kicker is that if they make an area "sterile" by definition allowing Privately Owned Vehicles to access the area without a full search of the vehicle would make the area "unsterile"

Pretty sure that falls under the whole "constitutionally vague" thing too....

Last edited:

devildoc5

are they going to be making sterile places of public transit?

There are people who are under the belief that the "restricting" (read not letting us have/use them when we need them) of our firearms is just one step along a long and winding road.

There are also those that will tell you that the Rhineland boasted about their gun control laws and their mandatory registration (sound familiar?)

Those same people will tell you that these measures were put into place just before a bunch of random "checkpoints" started popping up. These checkpoints were "to ensure continued safety"

Sounds kinda like a sterile area to me....

Remember those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it....

But then again I am just an overly paranoid neo-nazi skinhead thighrig wearing bluberring fool (joke from WA forums)

Last edited:

Syst3m Ov3rrid3

I don't have a car and I take the bus, so does that mean I wont be able to have my weapon in a locked case either? Or does this law apply for Open Carry?

devildoc5

I don't have a car and I take the bus, so does that mean I wont be able to have my weapon in a locked case either? Or does this law apply for Open Carry?

The law specifically states "possessing". So I an pretty sure that is all forms of possessing.

However it also clarifies "sterile areas" and "clearly marked". My guess would be no sign, no valid law.... YMMV.

Syst3m Ov3rrid3

Called Attorney Chuck Michel for some info pertaining P.C. 171.7 to find out in regards to carrying unloaded in a locked container on a bus. Waiting for a call back.

since9

Campaign Veteran

security.

Oh, geez, and for geezem pete, can't they CA adminstrators get it right?

Here's a viable alternative:

1. All citizens of the United States of America may freely carry, either openly or concealed, firearms of any and all types unless:
1.a. They have been convicted of a felony.
1.b. They have been adjudicated by three distinct and wholly and separable competant medical authorities, at the state's expense, that they are unworthy of firearms possession IAW DSM IV or subsequent equivalent.
1.b.1. Should any competant medical authority recognized under the same standards as given above render the individual competant to carry a firearm, said individual will be restored his/her full rights without pause or cause.
1.b.2. Should said individual further engage in actions deemed unlawful, the issues will be considered at the 1.0 level as given above.

Is it THAT TOO FRICKING DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO GET THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS?

Sheesh, folks, and to think I was 3/4 of my way towards a degree in physics before I spent a "whopping" 11-1/2 minutes putting this to text.

California lawmakers, YOU SUCK.

Go back to slehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xN9r0bWe78ep... Yes, they were messed up, but compared to what you're messing up 1,000 ways to Sunday today... You're still way messed up.