• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recorder Purchase

TheQ

Okay -- I'm in.

I'm looking for a voice recorder. Here are my requirements:

• SD or MicroSD Card for Storage -- I don't like the built in storage types. Call it personal preference.
  • Built in microphone and jack for detachable (ex: lapel mic) microphone. This way I can carry the recorder in my pocket and have a mic wire come up and clip on the opening of a button-up shirt.
  • Must be able to fit into a front pocket without printing much also.
  • Greater battery life preferred.
  • Cost, while a consideration, is not a big factor.

Those are my requirements. Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Okay -- I'm in.

I'm looking for a voice recorder. Here are my requirements:

• SD or MicroSD Card for Storage -- I don't like the built in storage types. Call it personal preference.
  • Built in microphone and jack for detachable (ex: lapel mic) microphone. This way I can carry the recorder in my pocket and have a mic wire come up and clip on the opening of a button-up shirt.
  • Must be able to fit into a front pocket without printing much also.
  • Greater battery life preferred.
  • Cost, while a consideration, is not a big factor.

Those are my requirements. Suggestions appreciated.

One suggestion: Google :) Only you know what will work for you.

P.S. every time I have met you, I was carrying video & audio recorder(s). Yet you could not see them. It is easier to do than one may think.

SovereignAxe

This is the one on my amazon wish list http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-...TF8&coliid=I3K9PR0V8UAIVY&colid=328BIN08554MR

It's got all the features you're asking for except the remote mic jack. But for FWIW, I've used a more basic model by sony and just left it in my pocket for a walk and was able to pick up conversations from 20+ feet away that I didn't even notice while I was walking. Mic quality shouldn't be a problem.

B

Bikenut

One suggestion: Google :) Only you know what will work for you.

P.S. every time I have met you, I was carrying video & audio recorder(s). Yet you could not see them. It is easier to do than one may think.
Good on you G9mm my friend.

May I suggest to one and all....!!!!!!!!

If you are using a covert audio or video/audio recorder....

DO NOT POST WHAT IT IS ON THE INTERNET OR IN ANY FORUMS!

Please share that information in private messages or in person at an OC meeting/picnic/dinner.

There is no need to alert anyone... LE or even aggressive anti gunners... as to what devices might be recording their illegal actions. After all... the chances of losing a valuable recording are greatly reduced if the other person(s) don't know what devices to "accidentally" drop and "carelessly" step on.

griffin

Sony ICD-PX312

135379.jpeg

griffin

Last edited:

RenkaiWulf

This is the Sony ICD-PX312 that I just posted above. Yes, it does have a remote mic jack I have one in my hand right now. See pic here with a mic. It also takes both M2 and MicroSD memory cards. I find it works just fine without a remote mic, though.

got the same one here with(off brand radioshack) lapel mic it works great but in the end its up to you to decide what is best for you

it was all and all $67.52 not bad for something that could save you from jailtime

Last edited:

griffin

The Sony ICD-PX312 can be found on amazon for under $50. This recorder also has a USB port, noise cut switch, and quite a few other features like different recording modes if you wanted to use it for other applications like to record meetings or lectures.

Vmaxx

This recorder fits perfect in my mag pouch holder. I use it every day & have 100's of hr's recorded & saved to flash drive!! The VOR is great!

The Sony ICD-PX312 can be found on amazon for under $50. This recorder also has a USB port, noise cut switch, and quite a few other features like different recording modes if you wanted to use it for other applications like to record meetings or lectures.

SovereignAxe

This is the Sony ICD-PX312 that I just posted above. Yes, it does have a remote mic jack I have one in my hand right now. See pic here with a mic. It also takes both M2 and MicroSD memory cards. I find it works just fine without a remote mic, though.

Sony-ICD-PX312-Digital-Voice-Recorder.jpg

hmmmm, looks I need to go ahead and buy that thing

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Good on you G9mm my friend.

May I suggest to one and all....!!!!!!!!

If you are using a covert audio or video/audio recorder....

DO NOT POST WHAT IT IS ON THE INTERNET OR IN ANY FORUMS!

Please share that information in private messages or in person at an OC meeting/picnic/dinner.

There is no need to alert anyone... LE or even aggressive anti gunners... as to what devices might be recording their illegal actions. After all... the chances of losing a valuable recording are greatly reduced if the other person(s) don't know what devices to "accidentally" drop and "carelessly" step on.

I learned my Ninja skills from a very wise OCer that enjoys mass doses of caffeinated beverages ;)

May the Schwartz be with you Jedi / OC Master Yogurt! ;)

[video=youtube;UHw6KXbvazs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHw6KXbvazs[/video]

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It was good timing for this thread, thanks!

I've been needing to upgrade. I just bought this one, too. Will look for a nice lapel microphone for it, as well. Geeks.com didn't seem to have any to go with it.

cmdr_iceman71

Trust me I have the same model and the microphone is overkill. Recall that you only want to record conversations in which YOU are a participant - record anything else and that is a felony. As long as you have it anywhere on your body even under a layer of clothing it will pick up normal conversations with crystal clairty. I picked mine up at Walmart for $60

TheQ

Trust me I have the same model and the microphone is overkill. Recall that you only want to record conversations in which YOU are a participant - record anything else and that is a felony. As long as you have it anywhere on your body even under a layer of clothing it will pick up normal conversations with crystal clairty. I picked mine up at Walmart for $60

Felony? Well -- no. It depends. Did they have a reasonable expectation of privacy or were they talking in a restaurant that is open to the public?

cmdr_iceman71

Felony? Well -- no. It depends. Did they have a reasonable expectation of privacy or were they talking in a restaurant that is open to the public?

My mistake you are correct I forgot about the reasonable expectation of privacy clause when in an area accesible to the general public.

lapeer20m

My interpretation of the mcl is that if you record a private conversation of others accidentally or incidental to something you are doing lawfully you would not be in violation.

Any person who is present or who is not present during a private conversation and who wilfully uses any device to eavesdrop upon the conversation without the consent of all parties thereto, or who knowingly aids, employs or procures another person to do the same in violation of this section, is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.
"
I can see a scenario, where one might have his recorder running while using a public restroom while two other people in the room are having what may be a private conversation. According to the statute, since the recording of the private conversation was not willful, rather accidental, in my non-legal opinion it would be permissible.

Last edited:

TheSzerdi

Just bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16873103007

Coby COBY CXR190-2G

Got it in the mail today and it seems great. Haven't field tested it yet so we'll see how that goes.

$31.98 including shipping.

Model Brand: COBY
Model: CXR190-2G

Features:

-46 to 540 hours recording time depending on quality selected (without microSD)

-MicroSD card slot allows for extended recording time (card not included)

-Voice-activated recording system

-4 recording-quality modes

-Integrated omni-directional microphone

-Time/date display

-Audio transcoding software included (requires Microsoft XP/2000 or newer)

Specs:

Recording Media: 2GB + microSD Card
PC Interface: USB
Connector: 3.5mm Headphone jack, 3.5mm microphone jack
Speaker: High-output speaker
Battery: 2x AAA-size batteries

Edit to add: Came with earphones and USB cord.

Last edited: