• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member / Carrier

Pathfinder-2

Hello Everyone!

Name is Blake, I recently purchased my first private handgun. I am planning on going for a CCP however, $200+ is not realistic for me right now.

I have gone over most of the legal info available, however it seems transporting a pistol in a vehicle without a CCP is like the Catch 22 on Open Carry....

I can put the firearm in my gunsafe mounted in the back of my SUV out of sight and reach, however if I'm not transporting the fire-arm to go to the range, or to my place of business it seems like I am looking at a nice fat problem should I get pulled over. (Or spotted Open Carrying by a harassment friendly Officer who decides to stalk me until I return to my vehicle)

Anyone have any experience with how it's possible to legally "legally" open carry without walking from your residence to anywhere you want to go?

Thanks alot!

Blake

Pathfinder-2

I was just medically retired from the military after 8 years, so there's government hand gun on loan program in my book :lol:

Thank you very much for the welcome! Its amazing to come back to michigan after so long and hear about how far this state has come in some areas. When I heard MI allowed automatic weapons and suppressors now I almost choked on my drink.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I was just medically retired from the military after 8 years, so there's government hand gun on loan program in my book.
What's this, please, "government hand gun on loan program?" I've never heard of it before.

fozzy71

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Handle the gun to case and uncase outside of the vehicle. Look at the bulldog safes at Dunhams. They have a shell that attatches to the vehicle, then the safe slides into the shell and locks in place on one key with one moove. Very slick little system. Secure, and legal.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=wqeAT47bOsvhggezjYn-Bw&ved=0CIEBEPMCMAI

Make sure you are not on the premises of any places listed in MCL 750.234d Violation of this statute is only a misdemeanor, however there is an 8 year prohibition on your CPL (Concealed Pistol License) if you are convicted.

The firearm has to be registered to YOU.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

Pathfinder-2

Thanks Stainless,

That is the exact safe system I use in my SUV, its mounted in the back of my SUV down below the rear seat in the truck section, I figured the more inconvienent for me I could make it the more assured the officer would be that I was following the guidelines. It is very nice that it has the mounting bracket because I can take the safe into my home and lock it inside my actual safe at the end of the day, next day I pull it out, put it in the mount inside the car, take it to work and then holster the firearm.

Thank you for linking the legislation, that is what I have read as well, it was the;

"(b) "Lawful purpose" includes the following:
(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance."

that seems worrisome to me, it feels like a huge legal grey area, technically any business or other destination is "private property" so you could argue that you were within compliance but it feels like an Officer dead set against open carry could find "wiggle" room somewhere in there to cite you.

I guess we will see what happens! lol

I was actually given a list of places to not carry by a friend when I purchased the sidearm.
------

Herr HK, it was a joke, in the military I had a Beretta M-9 Sidearm, so to me this one I own now is my first "privately owned" sidearm.

stainless1911

Banned
The list says "includes". It is not an all inclusive.

If it is not illegal, having a law passed to make an activity illegal, then it is a legal activity. The list is a bunch of examples. Open carry is legal, so you dont have to worry about it, unless you are going to a place where it is illegal. In such a case, they arent going to charge you with 231a anyhow, just the statute covering the area. 234d for instance.

You can OC with confidence pretty much everywhere in the state. They are your rights, be proud of them, and the fact that you don't have to die on your knees.

Carry a digital voice recorder, with a USB. If you have one, use the phone to record your activities to an off site location.

xmanhockey7

Hello Everyone!

Name is Blake, I recently purchased my first private handgun. I am planning on going for a CCP however, $200+ is not realistic for me right now.

I have gone over most of the legal info available, however it seems transporting a pistol in a vehicle without a CCP is like the Catch 22 on Open Carry....

I can put the firearm in my gunsafe mounted in the back of my SUV out of sight and reach, however if I'm not transporting the fire-arm to go to the range, or to my place of business it seems like I am looking at a nice fat problem should I get pulled over. (Or spotted Open Carrying by a harassment friendly Officer who decides to stalk me until I return to my vehicle)

Anyone have any experience with how it's possible to legally "legally" open carry without walking from your residence to anywhere you want to go?

Thanks alot!

Blake

You can transport for any "lawful purpose". OC is a "lawful purpose".

750.231a
(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

NHCGRPR45

What's this, please, "government hand gun on loan program?" I've never heard of it before.

Inside joke, the goverment loans you a gun sometimes more than one usually full auto or burst fire. Encourages you very strongly to know how it works, sends you to strange and distant lands to use said weapon. Then not so politely demands its return when you have satisfied your contract to them. Sometimes the even give you rockets missiles and high explosives and big but not shiney multi million dollar pieces of equipment to operate. Sadly they don't let you keep these either.:mad:

First Cavalry Division, Ft. Hood Texas. Welcome home Pathfinder!

Hevymetal

They should at least let you keep your rifle and handgun. :mad:

Don't know about the rifle, but how about giving a M1911A1 or M9 (their choice) to EVERY honorably discharged service member as a "Thank You" for their service?

Welcome to the forums :)

Last edited:

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Don't know about the rifle, but how about giving a M1911A1 or M9 (their choice) to EVERY honorably discharged service member as a "Thank You" for their service?

Welcome to the forums :)

I would support a law that excludes vets from EVER having to pay taxes; income, sales, FICA, etc. as a small token of our esteem for their service.

DanM

"(b) "Lawful purpose" includes the following:
(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance."

that seems worrisome to me, it feels like a huge legal grey area, technically any business or other destination is "private property" so you could argue that you were within compliance but it feels like an Officer dead set against open carry could find "wiggle" room somewhere in there to cite you.

Politely replying to the officer "I do not wish to discuss my itinerary" means you never have to worry about this.

You are not required to tell an officer where you came from nor where you are going. And without that information, even an officer who wrongly interprets that law lacks basis for probable cause that you violated his wrong interpretation of it.