• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

St. Joseph

DaddyBearMedic

Anyone on here from St. Joseph? What's the climate like? I've OC'd a couple times around town, and gotten kicked from North belt walmart, but haven't seen anyone else OCing lately. Any takers?

Thunderstorm

Hey everyone im another new guy here, im not from st joe but i live about 30 miles north if there. I have had my ccw for about six yrs now but here in the last few months i have really started getting into the open carry side of things, i am lucky in that my town does not have and ordinance against oc they go by what state law says so right now i just oc when my wife and i go out walking i just havent tried it anywhere else yet, we do travel to st joe almost every weekend but i stick with ccw for now i am waiting on hb436 to kick in before i oc more often.

mspgunner

Hey everyone im another new guy here, im not from st joe but i live about 30 miles north if there. I have had my ccw for about six yrs now but here in the last few months i have really started getting into the open carry side of things, i am lucky in that my town does not have and ordinance against oc they go by what state law says so right now i just oc when my wife and i go out walking i just havent tried it anywhere else yet, we do travel to st joe almost every weekend but i stick with ccw for now i am waiting on hb436 to kick in before i oc more often.

The world waits for HB436. July 14th is the deadline for the Governor to act, or better yet, not act!
we'll see..........

kcgunfan

The world waits for HB436. July 14th is the deadline for the Governor to act, or better yet, not act!
we'll see..........

Well, I don't know about the entire world, but I'm certainly waiting.

As far as St Joe goes, what I hear is that OC is legal, but the police don't like it. And sometimes the courts agree with them. HB436 isn't going to change those facts one iota. OC is already legal and laws do not typically change people's minds. Having said that, it would be poor strategy to rock the boat before the 15th, but if you don't mind the police harassment, carry on after that.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

mspgunner

NOT rocking the boat is very important till after July 14th!!!! Very true.
As far as legal vs.not legal the OC part of HB436 will give you protection under the law for OC with CCW. IF you are illegally arrested for OC after Aug. 28th, if the law goes into effect you will have very good recourse to seek a judgement against the law enforcement officer and department for false arrest.

I have do doubt that if 436 becomes law every law enforcment offcier in the State will know about it.

Many of us will aid in the education of municipal government in regard to OC in Missouri.

Well, I don't know about the entire world, but I'm certainly waiting.

As far as St Joe goes, what I hear is that OC is legal, but the police don't like it. And sometimes the courts agree with them. HB436 isn't going to change those facts one iota. OC is already legal and laws do not typically change people's minds. Having said that, it would be poor strategy to rock the boat before the 15th, but if you don't mind the police harassment, carry on after that.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

OC for ME

A low profile at this juncture is very good advice. The times they are a changing and patience is a virtue. Though, my back is beginning to hurt from keeping a low profile.....

JustPlaneCrazy

Anyone on here from St. Joseph? What's the climate like? I've OC'd a couple times around town, and gotten kicked from North belt walmart, but haven't seen anyone else OCing lately. Any takers?

Been open carrying for 2-3 years in St. Joe, I'm in north belt Wal-Mart every week for the last couple years, never a problem.
In fact, I had one of the managers shake my hand and thank me for carrying. Have been seen many times by police in Wal-Mart, again, no problems...

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Hummm, the only one I'm familiar with simply says "Ball", must be a different vintage?

Old No 7 from Lynchburg Tn in Moore county which indeed is a DRY county so while the black label square bottle is indeed filled there, so would be a lot of what you are speaking of as well.

OC for ME

Old No 7 from Lynchburg Tn in Moore county which indeed is a DRY county so while the black label square bottle is indeed filled there, so would be a lot of what you are speaking of as well.
NASCAR got its start out of a mason jar I seem to recall.

Anyway.....

Not many members here on OCDO OC in St. Joe.

or

There is nothing to report in St. Joe. Which is good, maybe.

My observation does not answer the OPs question.....unfortunately.

JustPlaneCrazy

Not many members here on OCDO OC in St. Joe.

or

There is nothing to report in St. Joe. Which is good, maybe.

Yes and yes....

I've never seen anyone else OC in St. Joe, although I'm sure there are some.

I OC everywhere and it's always ignored (been told I look like a cop which may be why)

I've been seen many times in different business's and on the street by police but they never react, good or bad.

All seems good here :)

I suspect that reaction depends on the appearance of the OC'r, a 52yo balding man, nicely dressed (me usually)
will get less attention than a 22yo, long hair, tats with his pants hanging down :lol:

Would that be OC profiling? :eek: :D

Last edited:

Thunderstorm

Well now that hb436 has been vetoed for now i still want to oc alot more often and like some i am still a little nervous trying it in st joe, i dont want trouble from business or anything like that and really dont want to cause any problems with the bill that is still up in the air buti just might say to hell with it and try it next time i am there, a out the only places i go to are sams, aldies, wal-mart and the mall once in awhile and a few resteraunts.

JustPlaneCrazy

Well now that hb436 has been vetoed for now i still want to oc alot more often and like some i am still a little nervous trying it in st joe, i dont want trouble from business or anything like that and really dont want to cause any problems with the bill that is still up in the air buti just might say to hell with it and try it next time i am there, a out the only places i go to are sams, aldies, wal-mart and the mall once in awhile and a few resteraunts.

The mall is posted, no firearms....only place I've seen posted besides banks.

Thunderstorm

Thanks we usually go in threw gordmans or jcp but i have never seen a sign yet i guess i better pay mor attention, thanks again

AJax

Another new guy here. I have my CCW, and in most cases, I carry concealed. However, I OC while riding my bike in South St. Joe. I usually ride around Lake Contrary, around Hyde Park, up to the top of King Hill, and back. I haven't had any problems so far, but I'm usually riding in the early mornings to get it out of the way before it gets too hot. I do get some stares, especially if I go into a convenience store, and I've even had a St. Joe PD officer follow me in his cruiser for about a quarter mile, but I've never been stopped or harassed.

That could be because I'm new though. I just started OC'ing last year.

For anyone curious, I carry a Glock 19 in a serpa with one spare mag.