• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kinda Nervous, Under 21.

aharrell3

Hey guys, I literally just registered so I'm new here.

Anyways, I was just gifted a Glock 42 by my big sister. So I was planning on starting to open carry for my every day life. Only thing is... I'm only 19. I know the law states that you only have to be 18. I'm just nervous the law enforcement are going to give me crap for having it under 21, so I guess I can say I'm extremely nervous about carrying.

Question : Were you nervous when you first started carrying? And how do people react if you are openly carrying?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Welcome to the forum.

Being nervous initially is normal. It will become 2nd nature soon afterwards.

You should know your rights about police contacts. I myself do not provide them with any information.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Hey guys, I literally just registered so I'm new here.

Anyways, I was just gifted a Glock 42 by my big sister. So I was planning on starting to open carry for my every day life. Only thing is... I'm only 19. I know the law states that you only have to be 18. I'm just nervous the law enforcement are going to give me crap for having it under 21, so I guess I can say I'm extremely nervous about carrying.

Question : Were you nervous when you first started carrying? And how do people react if you are openly carrying?

Welcome to the forum.

I think Stafford is in Northern VA, right?

You may wish to visit the VA sub-forum. Sometimes there are open carry dinners, and that's a great time to start out and get comfortable, being in the company of like-minded folks.

Again, welcome.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Join VCDL www.vcdl.org Join us on Lobby Day - there should be carpools from around your area if you don't/can't drive down alone. (If you are going to take the bus, look for davidmcbeth - he should be riding the Grey Dog Express.) (It's an inside joke)

Check with the Virginia section (especially the Fredericksburg OC thread) and see if anybody will meet up with you to do The Walmart Walk http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...48-1st-time-concealed-carry-walmart-walk.html
(It was originally for the first CC experience but works just as well for OC)

stay safe.

The Truth

Welcome to the forum!

You must be 18 to Open Carry. You can not buy a handgun from an FFL dealer, but you may purchase privately. You can not get a CHP until you are 21.

statute:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

You should read through all of 18.2-308, and take notes.

Also, Open Carry is not reasonable and articulable suspicion that a crime is being committed, so any detainment based only on the fact that you are OCing is illegal. If such an instance were to occur, keep your mouth shut and call your lawyer. That is not very likely to happen here in VA.

case law:
http://www.fedagent.com/case-law-up...ysis-of-the-free-to-leave-standard-of-seizure

It can be a nervous situation the first little while you OC, but you'll learn that as long as you are doing the right things people really don't seem to care or even notice, and you'll likely get more positive feedback than negative.

Be very careful and always be aware of your surroundings.

I am not a lawyer. Don't stop researching and only accept cites to statute or case law as proof that a statement is correct. People can be ignorant and hyperbolic.

BlueSquid

I was nervous when I started OC'ing. But I've never had a negative reaction yet. Granted, given my profession and the fact that I lived for 2 years in SC before moving to VA, I haven't been OC'ing for very long in the eyes of the old salts here. Just remember that you're not doing anything inherently wrong by open carrying. The more nervous you are, the more nervous you look, and that's what will get you the negative attention. It helps to have a decent grasp on the laws, and utilizing resources like OCDO and VCDL.org to find out what places are friendly and unfriendly. So it's good that you're here. Ask questions if you're having trouble, search previous posts. This site and its users alone have helped me a great deal.

If i haven't missed my mark, part of what we do here is try to normalize the carrying of firearms, by people who aren't LEO's or bad guys, to people who don't know much about them, or are filled with incorrect information. That being said, from time to time we need a little of that normalization ourselves. Simply spending some time here browsing through others conversations will probably help you feel more comfortable, because they've probably gone through every situation you can think of, and some you haven't.

Be confident in what you're doing, while respecting the law, and you should have little to no problem going about your daily routine with a few extra ounces hanging from your hip. Enjoy your freedoms and stay safe out there!

*EDIT* And as far as good lawyers, you'll want to look up User. I know I'm not the only one here who has his information in my wallet and his number on my speed dial, for those just in case moments.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome aboard OCDO. The nervousness will pass - the more you OC the less you will experience.

Moved this to the Virginia sub-forum to encourage state specific responses.

va_tazdad

Welcome aboard!!!

I wish I could remember back that far to the 1st time I open carried. That said, there are many here willing and able to assist and guide you thru the waters so that you feel comfortable OCing.

Please feel free to attend any of the meet and greets throughout the state like the ones we have in Richmond. A number of us gather weekly and monthly to discuss just about anything. Please feel free to join us. All are welcome.

Tricorn

Welcome!

About the only time I was more nervous than when I started OCing was when I got married. Now OCing is just a natural part of everyday life. The Empress (my wife) still makes me nervous.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Last edited:

wrearick

welcome! I have only been a firearms owner for a little less than 2 years and here are some of the things I learned early in my experience.

1. Know the law. It is complicated and there are lots of exceptions.
2. If you carry you MUST be on your best behavior - you WILL be held to a higher standard. No flipping the bird to other drivers or being part of the initial problem which escalates to a need to defend yourself. You need to be squeaky clean.
3. Very important when open carrying that you have a good retention holster. Look up what one is and the different "levels" of retention. The friction type holsters we had for our 6 shooters when we were kids leave a lot to be desired as far as making sure someone can not easily draw your firearm from your holster without you having a chance to prevent it.

WalkingWolf

ANYBODY that carries a small tupperware gun should be nervous, especially a Glock 42.

Just kidding, maybe OC with a OC partner for the first few times see if that helps.

wittmeba

Like a woman going topless for the first time.

If your gun is larger than others you may get more stares than those with a smaller gun at least for a while :eek:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Like a woman going topless for the first time.

If your gun is larger than others you may get more stares than those with a smaller gun at least for a while :eek:

Yeah but Big Guns Save Lives...more to the point, BIG STEEL GUNS SAVE LIVES!

Oh...one other thing. Never carry a 9mm in Va. They can bounce off of native Virginians and injure or kill tourists. :uhoh: