• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A post on disarming a random person carrying a firearm

Jeff Hayes

This is from another firearms group.

"Maybe there should be an I saw you thread to out people for printing. I saw one idiot at Costco with his pistol just hanging around his knees because his pants were half off his butt. I thought to disarm him since it was so obvious and maybe get him to learn to conceal better. But I let him be."

What the heck is he thinking?

Freedom1Man

"Maybe there should be an I saw you thread to out people for printing. I saw one idiot at Costco with his pistol just hanging around his knees because his pants were half off his butt. I thought to disarm him since it was so obvious and maybe get him to learn to conceal better. But I let him be."

Maybe that poster is one of those who drives with fog lamps on all the time, does not know how to use turn signals, and cannot figure out how to turn on head and running light during periods of darkness.

Or in short a Sanders/Obama supporter.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

BlueSquid

I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure "disarming" someone is illegal in several ways as well, and I'd bet it's a more serious offense than "printing" in states with laws against it. If these thoughts regularly cross his mind, perhaps he needs to have his permission slip revoked. Not to mention the fact that trying to unholster someone elses firearm against their will is a good way to catch a whoopin, at the least.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure "disarming" someone is illegal in several ways as well, and I'd bet it's a more serious offense than "printing" with laws against it. If these thoughts regularly cross his mind, perhaps he needs to have his permission slip revoked. Not to mention the fact that trying to unholster someone elses firearm against their will is a good way to catch a whoopin, at the least.

My exact thoughts I can think of three felonies right off the top of my head.

No law against printing in Wa BTW.

Last edited:

F350

I open carry; I keep a CRKT M16-14ZSF clipped to my left front pocket hinge down so it can be opened by snagging the bottom flipper on the pocket corner on the draw just for such a thing, commence "operation castration".

BobR

The things some people post......

Maybe he has become Spokane's self-appointed "you are printing OMG" monitor.

We could have another OC pic-a-nic and invite him. See how bad he twitches when he sees all of those guns out in the open, or even better keep switching from CC to OC. ;)

bob

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
....... it can be opened by snagging the bottom flipper on the pocket corner on the draw just for such a thing, commence "operation castration".

Guns do not scare me, sharp things are another matter. An "accident" on drawing that weapon could be a cheap self inflicted surgery.

We could have another OC pic-a-nic and invite him. See how bad he twitches when he sees all of those guns out in the open, or even better keep switching from CC to OC. ;)
bob

I have been to many a picnic with Jeff and he always open carries. He has been, and still is, a huge supporter of OC and carry in general.

The individual being discussed must not have been wearing one of the most necessary firearm accessories, a belt. I have seen my Son put a paddle holster in his sweatpants and saw the pistol and pants drop. Not very bright so he chose another method. Some people wear their pants "below the butt" and as ridiculous as it looks, at least some of them carry guns(badly).

The disparaging remarks get tedious.

davidmcbeth

Banned
"I got your gun !" OP says

"Not all of them!" Other guy

"BANG!"

In CT:

Sec. 53a-21. Use of physical force in defense of property. A person is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent an attempt by such other person to commit larceny or criminal mischief involving property, or when and to the extent he reasonably believes such to be necessary to regain property which he reasonably believes to have been acquired by larceny within a reasonable time prior to the use of such force; but he may use deadly physical force under such circumstances only in defense of person as prescribed in section 53a-19.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

"I got your gun !" OP says

"Not all of them!" Other guy

"BANG!"

In CT:

Sec. 53a-21. Use of physical force in defense of property. A person is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent an attempt by such other person to commit larceny or criminal mischief involving property, or when and to the extent he reasonably believes such to be necessary to regain property which he reasonably believes to have been acquired by larceny within a reasonable time prior to the use of such force; but he may use deadly physical force under such circumstances only in defense of person as prescribed in section 53a-19.

In Washington

RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide—By other person—When justifiable.
Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:
(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his or her presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or
(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his or her presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he or she is.

Theft of a firearm is a felony under RCW 9A.56.300 deadly force is justified under RCW 9A.16.050 A(2)

utbagpiper

Banned
Theft of a firearm is a felony under RCW 9A.56.300 deadly force is justified under RCW 9A.16.050 A(2)

Whether theft of a firearm is a felony or not, I'd never use deadly force to prevent nor stop the mere theft of property.

I would, however, use deadly force to defend myself from the grave injury that any reasonable man would have to assume an assailant intends to inflict upon me when said assailant evidences a willingness and ability to disarm me. Why would anyone try to seize control of my lawfully, peacefully carried firearm except to use that firearm to inflict grave injury upon me?

If non-lethal, but harsh physical force such as an elbow to the head, and stern commands do not persuade an assailant to break off his attack, I see little reasonable recourse except to the threat of deadly force and then escalating as quickly as necessary to actual use of deadly force. And if by some means he did manage to gain control of one of my firearms, it would seem especially urgent to use my second firearm to put an immediate end to the threat.

Charles

Jeff Hayes

Whether theft of a firearm is a felony or not, I'd never use deadly force to prevent nor stop the mere theft of property.

The point was/is theft of a firearm is a felony and deadly force "CAN" be used to stop that felony upon a person in progress. The fact that you or I or the guy down the street would never use deadly force to prevent nor stop the mere theft of property is a moot point.

Grim_Night

I sure as hell would use deadly force to prevent the theft of my firearm. I can logically assume that if someone were to try and steal my firearm, that I would then become the first target of such firearm and thus, I would be protecting my own life from the use of deadly force.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I sure as hell would use deadly force to prevent the theft of my firearm. I can logically assume that if someone were to try and steal my firearm, that I would then become the first target of such firearm and thus, I would be protecting my own life from the use of deadly force.

I think Charles noted that he would shoot a guy if he got a hold of his piece. But not if a guy stole his cheeseburger (for example).

F350

Guns do not scare me, sharp things are another matter. An "accident" on drawing that weapon could be a cheap self inflicted surgery.

I practice the knife draw several times a week (just like the sidearm draw); very little chance of self inflicted wound, the blade doesn't open till well out of the pocket.

solus

situational awareness...

so who screwed up in a normal environment to allow someone out of the blue to get behind or near enough or, or,

this is strictly what if hyperbole and testosterone chest thumping...

ipse

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

situational awareness...

so who screwed up in a normal environment to allow someone out of the blue to get behind or near enough or, or,

this is strictly what if hyperbole and testosterone chest thumping...

ipse

The guy never said how close he was to the carrier. I know in my case if someone is over there it is a lot different than of they are right next to or right behind me. Much to my wife's chagrin I will and have asked people to step back from me if they get too close and I can not move away.

I too suspect this might have been a very misinformed young male chest thumping.

solus

The guy never said how close he was to the carrier. I know in my case if someone is over there it is a lot different than of they are right next to or right behind me. Much to my wife's chagrin I will and have asked people to step back from me if they get too close and I can not move away.

I too suspect this might have been a very misinformed young male chest thumping.

i am always shifting positions when folk start to 'crowd' me tho i have not actually told anybody to back off...yet!!

more testosterone than me i think...:shocker:

ipse

Firearms Iinstuctor

Here's some interesting data. charts and graphs at the source

http://www.gunwatch.blogspot.com/2015/12/officers-killed-with-own-gun-vs.html

When people talk about open carry, a common comment is that the open carrier will have their gun taken from them and used against them. I have yet to find a case in the United States where that happened to someone who was not a law officer. Law officers almost all open carry, and some have their guns taken from them and used against them, but the numbers are vanishingly small

Jeff Hayes

i am always shifting positions when folk start to 'crowd' me tho i have not actually told anybody to back off...yet!!

more testosterone than me i think...:shocker:

ipse

I do not allow people that I do not know to invade my personal space, I move away when I can but if I can not I will tell them to back away from me. There is never a need to stand so close to me in a grocery store check out line that you are touching me. No one needs to stand six inches behind me in line at the bank or a checkout line at a store.