• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on Centurlink stadium and concert

TheRock19

I have a question. I know it's legal to carry in the stadium, but I was reading that they implemented metal detectors for Seahawks and Sounders games, but I was wondering if they also do it for concerts. I'll be headed to one in August, and being the area the stadium is in, I would like to carry. Someone I know was actually mugged after a game one day. Of course I will be cc'ing.

Thanks

Edit: for anyone in the future who may come across this travesty of a thread filled with incorrect internet attorneys and ethical commentators, the answer to my question is yes. They have walk through detectors and hand held wands, you get both.

I took a lyft there and back and got dropped off and picked up right in front of the stadium, and just Carried my trusty polycarbonate dagger just in case.

Last edited:

Alpine

As far as I know the Clink is private property and they have the legal authority to ban all forms of carry and they do so.

Safeco is publicly owned (although they are violating the law via the corrupt Sequim decision I believe).

Just another reason why I refuse to attend events at either place.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have a question. I know it's legal to carry in the stadium, but I was reading that they implemented metal detectors for Seahawks and Sounders games, but I was wondering if they also do it for concerts. I'll be headed to one in August, and being the area the stadium is in, I would like to carry. Someone I know was actually mugged after a game one day. Of course I will be cc'ing.

Thanks
https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-conceal-carry-to-safeco-field-and-centurylin-1085090.html

TheRock19

It is publicly owned.
http://www.stadium.org

And the link isn't accurate because the statute is cut off and doesn't list the part where it says it doesn't apply to valid ccw holders.

"(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or..."

Can someone who has actually been to a venue at the stadium that wasn't sports related actually answer my question?

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

As far as I know the Clink is private property and they have the legal authority to ban all forms of carry and they do so.

Safeco is publicly owned (although they are violating the law via the corrupt Sequim decision I believe).

Just another reason why I refuse to attend events at either place.
Last I checked, they were owned by the government and paid for using tax money.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

grylnsmn

That answer misses an important part of the law, from RCW 9.41.300:
(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or
(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.
The link you gave only focuses on (2)(b)(ii), but under (2)(b)(i), anyone who holds a valid concealed pistol license under RCW 9.41.070 is exempt from the restrictions.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the lessee of the stadium, convention center, etc, can't place restrictions on carry while they have control of the facility (as we saw in Virginia, with that one AG opinion regarding leasing a park), but it does mean that the answer at your link was incomplete at best, if not outright wrong.

rapgood

deanf

Assuming, arguendo, that the concert promoter is leasing the facility from the public, they can set the rules just like a private property owner. Given that, the question shouldn't be "can I sneak in my concealed gun in violation of the stated rules?"

The question should be "Is it ethical for me to break the stated rules?" I say no. You know full well what the rules are. Through arrogance, or some other pretext, you decide they don't apply to you. Except that you explicitly agreed to them when you bought a ticket. Remember: you've no right to be there - you're there by license of the lessee. Terms of the license are at the sole discretion of the lessee, and the only authority you've to modify them is not to agree and not attend.

Jeff Hayes

Assuming, arguendo, that the concert promoter is leasing the facility from the public, they can set the rules just like a private property owner. Given that, the question shouldn't be "can I sneak in my concealed gun in violation of the stated rules?"

The question should be "Is it ethical for me to break the stated rules?" I say no. You know full well what the rules are. Through arrogance, or some other pretext, you decide they don't apply to you. Except that you explicitly agreed to them when you bought a ticket. Rem;eases ember: you've no right to be there - you're there by license of the lessee. Terms of the license are at the sole discretion of the lessee, and the only authority you've to modify them is not to agree and not attend.

Generally they are not leasing the building out but licensing the use of that building.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Generally they are not leasing the building out but licensing the use of that building.
What is licensing in this context - please define. I suspect that whatever term is used, it will constitute a lease.

Generally/normally such use as I see referenced here comes under real estate contract law.

You rent a home or a business for a year or a day and you get to make the rules for your property.

TheRock19

I don't really care about your ethics lesson. It's unethical for them to force me to be without protection in an unsavory area.

If it's legal, I can care less about their rules. So unless someone who actually believes in the 2A cares to answer (I'm sure few and far between in this city), please don't give your opinions on ethics. Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't really care about your ethics lesson. It's unethical for them to force me to be without protection in an unsavory area.

If it's legal, I can care less about their rules. So unless someone who actually believes in the 2A cares to answer (I'm sure few and far between in this city), please don't give your opinions on ethics. Thanks
Whaaaat?

Ethics lesson is not the point. Following the law is.

You broad brush insult a lot of people here - strongly advise you not repeat that action.

Please read the Forum Rules

defcon4

Nobody is forcing you to be without protection in an unsavory area. It is your choice to buy or not buy a ticket to this venue.

Freedom1Man

Whaaaat?

Ethics lesson is not the point. Following the law is.

You broad brush insult a lot of people here - strongly advise you not repeat that action.

Please read the Forum Rules
The argument over law here is that because it is government owned property they cannot prohibit the carry of pistols in stadiums.

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or
(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

This is the issue.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

solus

there are a lot of things that you are governed by (and forced to abide by) in your daily life that you might find 'unethical', but are in fact legal because of statutes/ordinances etc., put in place over the years by citizens whose perception of ethical differs from yours.

as for legality, for the most part, the ocdo membership provides a strong knowledge base, without opinion biased rhetoric, so others can grasp & learn objective information vs subjective commentary about 'thats unethical' bs.

then like minded citizens can take the objective information and work towards making a situation right.

ipse

solus

after a myriad of gerrymandering, which resulted in a WA SC ruling stating the WA legislature acted properly, the referendum went forward and while paid for by 300m of the state's money, the complex is quote: Voter approval of the referendum created a public–private partnership.The Washington State Public Stadium Authority was created to oversee public ownership of the stadium, exhibition center, and parking garage complex. Allen purchased the Seahawks and formed First & Goal Inc. to build and operate the facility. unquote

therefore, while the good Washingtonians paid a substantial portion of the complex's costs though enacted bonds, the legislature abrogated their responsibility by turning operational control (read ownership) over to the privately held seattle seahawks organizational entity for 30 years with an automatic 20 extension.

the state's coffers are supposedly being slowly refilled, quote: The public funding package included new sports-related state lottery games, taxes on the facility's admissions and parking, sales tax credits and deferrals, and an eight-year extension of the 2% tax on hotel rooms in King County. The taxes on admissions and parking are set at 2% to pay off the project's tax-exempt bonds. Those taxes will be kept below the authorized 10% to preserve the tax-exempt status, but the percentage will be increased to the full amount when the bonds are completely paid in 2021. unquote

this was a sweet deal for seahawks owner allen who, quote: In September 1998 First & Goal signed a 30-year stadium lease that includes options to extend for another 20. Per the agreement, the Public Stadium Authority receives $850,000 a year from First and Goal (adjusted for inflation), and First & Goal keeps all revenue from the stadium and parking garage. The company receives 80% of the revenue from the exhibition center while the other twenty percent is allotted to a state education fund. First & Goal is responsible for all operating and maintenance costs, expected to be $6 million a year, and must keep the facility in "first-class" condition. Other details of the lease include the availability of affordable seats, a coordinated effort with neighboring Safeco Field to prevent gridlock, a provision for naming rights, the investment in public art at the stadium, and the giveaway of a luxury suite to a fan each Seahawks' game. unquote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CenturyLink_Field

therefore therock19, freedom1man, et al., it appears since the legislature abrogated to the seahawks OWNER complete and absolute legal control the complex, their policy(ies) win despite Washingtonian's contributing 300M & tax credits.

bottom line, despite some of the citizens best efforts, Washingtonians didn't even get kissed before the sex act was perpetrated and the act brought a huge smile to the seahawks' return on their 160M.

ipse

Last edited: