• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

357 Sig...what do you think?

Marco

Another thing to think about:

When the measurement is quoted on revolver barrels, it includes everything from the face of the cylinder to the muzzle. When auto-loader barrel measurements are quoted, it usually includes everything forward of the breach: i.e. the chamber and everything forward.

So, the effect is: if you have a 4" autoloader and a 4" revolver, the 4" auto actually has about 2.4" of useful barrel length for 9mm length cartridges ~1.6" of chamber... but the revolver still has 4", minus the cylinder gap effect

357 SIG has about 20 grains of H2O capacity, .357 MAG has about 27--but the SIG isn't 30% less powerful as you'd expect by that difference, and also considering the difference in barrel length: 357 SIG actually has a slightly higher max pressure.

Revolver barrels are measured from the forcing cone to the tip of the barrel.
The cylinder gap causes gas/pressure to escape, something the semi auto doesn't experience, though part of the barrel length is lost to the cartridge in a semi auto all the pressure/gas is directed forward.
An semi auto and revolver with the same barrel length and chambered in the same caliber the semi auto will produce the higher velocity.

CO-Joe

Revolver barrels are measured from the forcing cone to the tip of the barrel.
The cylinder gap causes gas/pressure to escape, something the semi auto doesn't experience, though part of the barrel length is lost to the cartridge in a semi auto all the pressure/gas is directed forward.
An semi auto and revolver with the same barrel length and chambered in the same caliber the semi auto will produce the higher velocity.

Right. So, unless you decide the nominal +/- 0.006" from the cylinder face to the forcing cone doesn't count, what I said doesn't apply how? Not much power is lost through the gap. Folks with Thompson contenders have measured it, and it's on the order of 25-40fps at most for many calibers. Another thing you're ignoring is the energy required to cycle the action, you know, it comes from some place--so that likely equals it out.

Still doesn't change the fact that you'll need a 5.25"+ barrel in an auto pistol to have the same rifled bore as you would have in a 4" revolver.

Marco

Para LDA 3" bbl=1081 fps
S&W 625 3"bbl =972 fps
ammo used = 45acp Corbon 185gr jhp+p

S&W 627 5.6"bbl =1505 fps
Coonan 5" bbl = 1680 fps
Coonan 6" bbl = 1770
ammo used = .357 mag Corbon 125gr jhp

STI 6"bbl =1550
Ammo used = .357Sig Corbon 125gr jhp

Believe what you like.

bmward64

I want to start off by saying that I am new to the community and I am in no way trying to start any argument, just stating an opinion.

I own a P250 with two barrels, .40 and 357 sig. I personally love the 357. I love the way it shoots and the higher FPS.

Regarding the mag vs sig in FPS, my sig has a short barrel, so I don't have to worry about the decreased FPS and the mag being "too far superior" to the sig round.

Regarding limited supply of sig ammo, I have found that all of my local gun shops and sportsmen stores have plenty of it in stock, including critical defense, poly tips, and more. My only complaint is that it is more expensive, however I feel that you pay for your defense.

I also agree that you can never be more prepared for what might happen. You might get mugged at point blank, or you might be sitting in your car in a parking lot with your windows up. Whatever the case you need to be able to take down your target. That being said, with that penetration power you need to be able to observe the entire situation and determine the best shot with no colateral dammage, and all under a stressful situation, and fast.

I know I have beaten a dead horse here a little bit, but I guess my major point is that if you like that round, then use it. I regularly use both the 40 and the 357, along with other calibers of course with other guns, but in the P250 platform, I most enjoy the 357.

Hope this aided in a healthy conversation about the 357 sig.

Happy shooting!

ET.

OK, my eyeballs are going round & round in my head from all the statistics on this thread. I shoot 357sig from a sub-compact Glock & from a S&W M&P with a 5" barrel. I love this round for self defense. I carry the Glock with 40S&W in the spring & summer months and switch over to a 357sig barrel for the fall & winter to take advantage of the added penetration through winter coats. I also own a Glock20 and love shooting 10mm as well, but I don't carry it. Both rounds cost alot more than 9mm or even the 40s&w ammo, but I don't shoot a lot of it at the range. I opt for 9mm when target shooting normally to save my wrist & my wallet. If you are considering getting a 357sig then look into swapping barrels between 40s&w, 357sig & 9mm. The investment in the two extra barrels will pay off in the long run.

SovereignAxe

A good friend of mine carries the Glock in .357 Sig. Nice shooter, and it does a very good imitation of a .357 Magnum on steel plates. I sometimes shoot at the same range that the local Air Marshalls use, and the ground is covered with .357 Sig nickel-plated brass the next day, as well as a couple dropped loaded Gold Dots, so that's what they are using.

Texas DPS (including the Texas Rangers) moved to the .357 Sig to regain the penetration they used to have with the .357 Magnum when shooting at cars. They had gone with the .45 ACP when they moved to automatics.

My personal opinion is that it is a little too much gun for average self-defense. It's hard to imagine a self-defense scenario that has one needing to shoot a threat that is behind serious cover. This is much more likely a possibility for police, however. But as long as you are aware of this penetration and can plan accordingly, I won't tell you not to use it. After all, there just may be a time when it could come in handy. And yes, I feel the same way about the .357 Magnum. When not carrying my .45, my .357 snubbie is loaded with .38 +P loads except for the last round of magnum hard-cast.

Flame on!

IMO this hits the nail on the head. I have a .357 Magnum, but that gun weighs close to three pounds, and follow up shots are measured in seconds (it's a single action). The round is a proven man stopper, but it's really more gun that I feel is necessary, so it sits next to my bed and has home defense duties. But even then it's for only when I can't get to my 9mm or if it's out of action. I'm surgical with my 9mm, and much more confident.

For someone like LE, who has a much higher probability of needing to shoot through cover-specifically car doors, I can see the need for .357 SIG, and I think it shows with how many police forces are using it. Add the THP to that list. I know they use the Glock 31.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

I have a number of pistols that I've had experience in shooting various pest animals (squirrels, possums & feral pigs mostly located on a friend's farm). Based upon this alone, the .357 SIG seems to be a *very* effective round at least from my experience (YMMV). I never kept a tally, but when the Glock 33 (.357 SIG) was used it was usually a 1 shot affair. Same went for the .45 ACP (230 grain, JHP or FMJ) and 9MM (115/124/147 grain) using +p JHPs. When I used .22 LR or 9mm ball the results usually varied depending on the size of animal and shot placement (possum usually took multiple shots to put down with these). .22 Magnum was fairly decent. .300 Win Mag fired from a rifle was, well...let's just say it worked in 1 shot pretty much without exception.

For daily carry, I usually switch between a G33 (.357 SIG), G36 (.45 ACP), and G19 (9mm) without much thought or worry in terms of "will it stop an attack, if I place my shots correctly?"

As long as the load you are using has some historical data in terms of effectiveness, you should be okay. I won't bother with giving a caliber range as I don't want to take part in the Caliber Wars (TM).

In answer to your question, I give a two thumbs up for the .357 SIG. Practice ammo is more expensive than 9mm ball (JHP defensive rounds are relatively about the same in price). Also, another consideration is that I found that the .357 SIG recoil is similar to shooting a +p 9mm. I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil (so it doesn't seem horrible to me) but some people are. Make sure to try whatever pistol you are looking to purchase at the range to make sure it is comfortable for you.

markand

Police who carry guns in .357SIG seem to be pretty happy with the caliber. I carry a SIG P229 in .357SIG. Haven't had to shoot anybody or anything with it, but I'm confident in the effectiveness of the round. Ammo is more expensive, but I also have drop in .40 S&W and 9mm barrels for the P229, so I can switch to any of those calibers for practice or to shoot whatever is available.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
After seeing the pics & references in this thread to the Coonan, I thought you guys would like this... I was looking at Sig Sauer's website last night and noticed under the "new products" page that they are now producing a 1911 chambered for .357sig. Its a single-stack 9+1, and I think its called the Nightmare Carry, or something like that. Not a bad looking gun, and certainly something I'd love to own if finances allowed it. This is the first 357sig 1911 I've seen/heard of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

09jisaac

After seeing the pics & references in this thread to the Coonan, I thought you guys would like this... I was looking at Sig Sauer's website last night and noticed under the "new products" page that they are now producing a 1911 chambered for .357sig. Its a single-stack 9+1, and I think its called the Nightmare Carry, or something like that. Not a bad looking gun, and certainly something I'd love to own if finances allowed it. This is the first 357sig 1911 I've seen/heard of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Yes, it is the nightmare carry.

Marco

This is the first 357sig 1911 I've seen/heard of.

STI already makes one.
Almost any 1911 that is chambered for 10mm/40SW and be fitted with a .357sig barrel.

The Coonan .357mag weighs 48oz but it isn't a nightmare to carry.