• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Ohio

NoTolerance

I live in a semi-rural area, no sidewalks, and no curbs. Besides a sidewalk is no place for a mobility scooter that can go 13 mph.
I've even been attacked and bit by dogs while riding on the Olympic Discovery Trail.
I've had more problems from dogs than idiot drivers.

Untrained dogs often chase "prey" that "runs". That's why people should teach their children to *never* run away from a dog. Their instinct is to give chase.

Anyone that's ever had a dog has seen it chase after a rabbit or squirrel. Take that same rabbit or squirrel and place it next to the same dog and the dog would be more likely to lick it to death than try to eat it.

Seems we've gotten off-point with this discussion, though. There aren't many circumstances where one should feel the justifiable need to take down a dog. Crossing one's property line certainly isn't one of them.

MyWifeSaidYes

But if I see the dog attacking me or mine, it's getting killed..hans, stick, brick, gun...whatever it takes. The emotions of the owner may keep them from seeing the actual threat from their dog.

The comments of j4l and others show how strong the emotional attachment can be to a pet.

It also shows how those emotions can cause the owners to make poor decisions.

If it's owner shoots at me for stopping that threat, me and mine will return fire. Then we will finish killing the dog.

I am a dog owner and will defend her as best I can, but would never imagine deploying lethal force.

That would just give the anti-gun crowd more ammo to use against us.

twoskinsonemanns

My neighbor put up an invisible (electric) fence and has a German Shepard. I have been walking my dog around our yard (1 acre) for a long time and now feel intimidated with him getting this dog. He has yet to try out the fence with the dog on it's own but my question is: Can I openly carry my firearm for protection and shoot his dog if it enters my yard? From the threads I have read I realize open carry is legal in Ohio but have not heard any mention of open carry on private property. I am assuming there would not be a problem but just checking. Thanks for any help.

Sliide welcome to the forum. Don't be put off from this site by some people who have inconceivable priorties and no tact whatsoever. Some how the nuts have slowly converted the thinking in this country that a dog or cat or pet cricket should have the same rights as people. Some going so far as to say your life is worth LESS than these creatures. It is an unhealthly emotional unrealistic displacement of priorities. Do your self a favore and avoid the subject. If you get attacked by someone's pet you will have to do what you have to do.

NoTolerance

But if I see the dog attacking me or mine, it's getting killed

As you should.I don't begrudge anyone for making that decision.

Sliide welcome to the forum. Don't be put off from this site by some people who have inconceivable priorties and no tact whatsoever. Some how the nuts have slowly converted the thinking in this country that a dog or cat or pet cricket should have the same rights as people. Some going so far as to say your life is worth LESS than these creatures. It is an unhealthly emotional unrealistic displacement of priorities. Do your self a favore and avoid the subject. If you get attacked by someone's pet you will have to do what you have to do.

Please show me the lack of tact in this thread, apart from your own. Seems to me everyone has been civil and polite prior to your arrival.

No one in this thread has suggested an animal's rights trump those of a human. No one has even hinted that animals have rights for that matter. What we've taken issue with is willfully shooting someone's pet because they crossed onto your property line. The OP didn't ask if it was permissible to shoot a dog that's being aggressive or showing signs of attack. He specifically asked if he could shoot his neighbor's dog because it crossed onto his property line. I'd hope you can see the difference there.

Should he be allowed to shoot an intruder that's willfully trespassing on his property after being ordered to leave? Some would argue yes, but what if the "intruder" is non-threatening? Should he be able to shoot his neighbor's kids when they trespass into his yard to get their football? Most sensible people would say no.

Shooting your neighbor's dog for no other reason than you don't like the breed is likely to land you in a world of trouble.

twoskinsonemanns

Please show me the lack of tact in this thread, apart from your own. Seems to me everyone has been civil and polite prior to your arrival.
No one in this thread has suggested an animal's rights trump those of a human. No one has even hinted that animals have rights for that matter.

I cannot show any at this point. I'm very glad these parts have been removed. But if you look through the post and see all the moderator interjections such as ("MULTIPLE COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate comments, threats, and personal attacks") you may be able to believe I was being reasonable in objecting to a lack of tact.

What we've taken issue with is willfully shooting someone's pet because they crossed onto your property line. The OP didn't ask if it was permissible to shoot a dog that's being aggressive or showing signs of attack. He specifically asked if he could shoot his neighbor's dog because it crossed onto his property line. I'd hope you can see the difference there.

I had tried to show I do know the difference between shooting an attacking animal vs a non attacking animal.

As I had said:
"You had best be careful shooting an animal that is not actively attacking you"
and
"If you get attacked by someone's pet you will have to do what you have to do."

But to make it more clear there should never be a case you shoot someone's pet that isn't on the attack.

NoTolerance

I cannot show any at this point. I'm very glad these parts have been removed. But if you look through the post and see all the moderator interjections such as ("MULTIPLE COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate comments, threats, and personal attacks") you may be able to believe I was being reasonable in objecting to a lack of tact.

I had tried to show I do know the difference between shooting an attacking animal vs a non attacking animal.

As I had said:
"You had best be careful shooting an animal that is not actively attacking you"
and
"If you get attacked by someone's pet you will have to do what you have to do."

But to make it more clear there should never be a case you shoot someone's pet that isn't on the attack.

Fair enough - it seems we're pretty much in agreement here.

Mark 1911

I had an Irish Setter once named Rex. He was the most loving creature on the face of the earth, at least toward humans. The biggest threat to an intruder from ol' Rex was that he might lick him to death. However, being a bird dog, he was not as affectionate toward chickens. I was staying with some friends once in the State of Texas, the dog got loose, ran into the neighbor's yard and killed 7 of his chickens before anyone could stop the carnage. Good ol' pup was in bird dog heaven. I paid the neighbor for his chickens and everyone was happy.

Apparently, Rex was extremely lucky that this did not happen in the State of Ohio. :lol:

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I had an Irish Setter once named Rex. He was the most loving creature on the face of the earth, at least toward humans. The biggest threat to an intruder from ol' Rex was that he might lick him to death. However, being a bird dog, he was not as affectionate toward chickens. I was staying with some friends once in the State of Texas, the dog got loose, ran into the neighbor's yard and killed 7 of his chickens before anyone could stop the carnage. Good ol' pup was in bird dog heaven. I paid the neighbor for his chickens and everyone was happy.

Apparently, Rex was extremely lucky that this did not happen in the State of Ohio. :lol:

Any dog that kills my livestock would not be so lucky...SSS!

Mark 1911

Any dog that kills my livestock would not be so lucky...SSS!

I guess I just don't have it in me to kill a dog for killing a chicken. I would rather get paid for a dead chicken than shoot a dog. I'm an avid deer hunter. I've had dogs show up in my deer woods that were lost, were supposed to be with their owners who were out in the fields bird hunting. I knew my deer hunt was over, so I just took the dog back the parking lot and waited for the owner to show up. Some deer hunters say they would shoot a dog for interrupting a deer hunt. I never could do that, no way. By the same token, I couldn't shoot a dog for killing a chicken, unless it happened to belong to some guy who shot my dog. SSS! (SSS = Shot Springer Spaniel :lol:)

Last edited:

Miss Black Rifle Disease

I think it's important to note for Ohioans that though there is no specific state law preventing open carry, it is my understanding there is no state law that specifically allows it either. Local jurisdictions are able to enact local law prohibiting open carry. And those that have no law regarding it may harass you or cite you for something else like inciting public panic. In large urban areas I would not recommend it. But in rural Ohio I doubt you'd ever get messed with over it. As always with open carry make sure you check local laws to ensure compliance.

Now that was my last inquiry to a Cincinnati area suburb LEO about it and from a few years back. So if this is outdated info or someone knows of an updated law change please forgive my incorrect note and give us an update.

Brian D.

I think it's important to note for Ohioans that though there is no specific state law preventing open carry, it is my understanding there is no state law that specifically allows it either. Local jurisdictions are able to enact local law prohibiting open carry. And those that have no law regarding it may harass you or cite you for something else like inciting public panic. In large urban areas I would not recommend it. But in rural Ohio I doubt you'd ever get messed with over it. As always with open carry make sure you check local laws to ensure compliance.

Now that was my last inquiry to a Cincinnati area suburb LEO about it and from a few years back. So if this is outdated info or someone knows of an updated law change please forgive my incorrect note and give us an update.

Hello. Ohio passed Ohio Revised Code 9.68 into law a few years ago. Briefly said it is statewide pre-emption of all local gun laws except those dealing with discharge of a firearm in city limits, and zoning laws dealing with where a firearms-related business can be located. So while some cities may still have more extensive gun prohibitions on their books, ORC 9.68 negated them. And it's been tested and upheld all the way up through the Ohio Supreme Court.

My time's a little short so I don't have time to post a link but you should be able to find ORC 9.68 elsewhere in the Ohio subforum easily enough.

Miss Black Rifle Disease

Hello. Ohio passed Ohio Revised Code 9.68 into law a few years ago. Briefly said it is statewide pre-emption of all local gun laws except those dealing with discharge of a firearm in city limits, and zoning laws dealing with where a firearms-related business can be located. So while some cities may still have more extensive gun prohibitions on their books, ORC 9.68 negated them. And it's been tested and upheld all the way up through the Ohio Supreme Court.

My time's a little short so I don't have time to post a link but you should be able to find ORC 9.68 elsewhere in the Ohio subforum easily enough.

Wow! Thank you. I was totally unaware of this sad for me to not know the law in my home state. Now what about in a vehicle? Does it still need to be unloaded and ammo locked up separately? Is that why Ohio is then not considered a Gold Star open carry state?

MyWifeSaidYes

Open carry or loaded handguns in a car or on a motorcycle still requires you to have a CHL.

Without a CHL, your gun must not only be unloaded, but any magazine or speedloader must also be unloaded in a vehicle.

We are still working with dozens of municipalities in Ohio, especially around Cincinnati, that have "no guns" signs or rules at their public parks. ORC 9.68 preempts such rules AND provides for costs and attorney fees for any person or group thats sues and prevails.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68

It's been around for 5 years now.

Miss Black Rifle Disease

Thanks, once again sad that I was unaware of any of this. Though I'm a native Ohioan and still a resident I've been working out of Virginia for the last 5 years and have not been as in touch with the gun laws back home as I should be.