• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shipping ammo...not a fun experience

zack991

Well I finally sold my last HArdigg gun case and sold some(700 rounds) M193 rounds. I read up on Federal laws to ship the ammo and Fedex requirements. I even called them and they said I was good to go after the ordnance sticker and packing the ammo correctly, to drop it off to their hub. I show up and they refuse to ship it for me. I was told I had to have HazMat Training which is required to qualify to ship all Hazardous Materials. Ammunition is a Hazardous Material. No Drop-Off, package must be picked up by FedEx.

So I did some more research when I got home and UPS was more willing to help me out.
1. Pack ammo within a sturdy cardboard box, gross weight limit of 66 pounds. . OK just 31.1 pounds

2. Print ORM-D label, cut out and tape to a least one side of box. DONE

3. Take package to a UPS Customer Center only - NOT at Drop-Off Box, The UPS Store, Mail Boxes etc., Sonic. Might be a good idea to have the UPS Hazardous Material Support Center number with you -- 800-554-9964. Varied success with UPS pick-up at your location.

Wish me luck tomorrow, I drop it off in the morning and hope it goes smoothly. Also do not lie like others have suggested to me, it is a felony if you do and get caught so dont.
As for USPS Shipping of Ammunition is Prohibited, you will be lucky not to get arrested asking them about it.

Ammunition (Cartridges, small arms) is a nonmailable hazardous material. "Under no circumstances may any nonmailable hazardous material, restricted matter, or perishable matter be deposited for mailing."

Photo-0071.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If FedEx does not want to be bothered with it, that is a loss to their bottom line.

UPS is not the most pleasant company to deal with, but they continue to serve this need where the others (FexEx, DHL) choose not to. It's called capitalism.

stay safe.

ScottNH

I have shipped literally thousands of rounds of ammo via UPS without incident. I always fill out my label online, schedule a pickup at my house, and leave the ORM-D labeled package on the front step. Scheduled pickup adds like $3 or $4 to the total. Less then I'd spend on gas and time. Easy-peazy.

Last edited:

zack991

I have shipped literally thousands of rounds of ammo via UPS without incident. I always fill out my label online, schedule a pickup at my house, and leave the ORM-D labeled package on the front step. Scheduled pickup adds like $3 or $4 to the total. Less then I'd spend on gas and time. Easy-peazy.

I will have to try that next time, it went smooth. He did not give me any nasty comments or glares when I told him what I was shipping. When he was filling in the description he asked how many rounds where inside I said 700 M193 rounds, he laughed and said it has been a while since we have shipped that many rounds from a drop off.

Last edited:

Broondog

yep, UPS is the way to go. i've shipped thousands of rounds with nary a problem. set up the shipment online and put the shipping label on. and all i do is write ORM-D in black magic marker on one or two sides of the box and drop it off at my local hub. no biggie.

FedEx can kiss it for all i care. they even have an attitude when they deliver something.....anything to my house. they act like they are doing me a favor when it's their job. one guy had a big attitude when i got my last rifle from the CMP. he said he came to me ASAP just to get "the damn thing" off his truck.

UPS = good
FedEx = bad

IMO of course. :)

balackolama

yep, UPS is the way to go. i've shipped thousands of rounds with nary a problem. set up the shipment online and put the shipping label on. and all i do is write ORM-D in black magic marker on one or two sides of the box and drop it off at my local hub. no biggie.

FedEx can kiss it for all i care. they even have an attitude when they deliver something.....anything to my house. they act like they are doing me a favor when it's their job. one guy had a big attitude when i got my last rifle from the CMP. he said he came to me ASAP just to get "the damn thing" off his truck.

UPS = good
FedEx = bad

IMO of course. :)

fedex does not pay good at all my friend worked for them for 2 years

BJA

Campaign Veteran
Awesome packaging job Zach!

I work at UPS, loading the semi trailers. I get to touch boxes filled with 1000's of rounds a day in a way LMAO. But Zach I love the packaging job with lots of tape! Thats the way to do it! Never skimp on the tape guys! wrap that thing in tape like you would wrapping on a cristmas present. Just make sure the label is on top of the tape so we can scan it.

zack991

I work at UPS, loading the semi trailers. I get to touch boxes filled with 1000's of rounds a day in a way LMAO. But Zach I love the packaging job with lots of tape! Thats the way to do it! Never skimp on the tape guys! wrap that thing in tape like you would wrapping on a Christmas present. Just make sure the label is on top of the tape so we can scan it.
Thank you, I like to wrap it like they wrap plasticwrap on pallets of cargo, tapes cheap. Ticked off buyers are not.
I rather have the guy opening it get upset that it takes a chain saw to open then get upset having his package get delayed because it tore open.