• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ok you Glock guys win....

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I don't target shoot. I shoot mostly IDPA and some USPSA.

everyone is different. People who learn to shoot with the Glock tend to have a much different reaction than those who transfer to it. Notice the OP is switching from a SIG. Switching from a DA or SA pistol to a Glock can be a challenge for many people. Not only the long pull AFTER takeup, but If you look at a SIG, it has a lower beavertail. This means your trigger finger is parallel to the barrel. The Glock's high grip causes the finger to be at a significant downward angle. Everyone's hands are different and everyone's experiences vary, of course.

Just because you shoot a stock Glock well, doesn't change the fact it has a horrible trigger feel. It's the geometry of the crucifix/disconnect/firing pin. The benefit is an extremely simple, low parts, easy to work on lightweight reliable pistol.

I carry a G19 and love it. I switched from a 1911.

Glock triggers can be improved upon dramatically but as all things mechanical, care should always be taken when doing this. For a very light trigger, go for a quality 3.5# connector, a six pound trigger spring, and a 4# striker spring. This setup should NOT be deployed for a carry gun, but rather reserved for range and competition use.

However, if you make one change to the above, as in staying with the OEM striker spring, you will still have a decent Glock trigger that is good for carry use. Throw in the 25 cent trigger job (which is cleaning and polishing), and you're good to go.

simmonsjoe

Glock triggers can be improved upon dramatically but as all things mechanical, care should always be taken when doing this. For a very light trigger, go for a quality 3.5# connector, a six pound trigger spring, and a 4# striker spring. This setup should NOT be deployed for a carry gun, but rather reserved for range and competition use.

However, if you make one change to the above, as in staying with the OEM striker spring, you will still have a decent Glock trigger that is good for carry use. Throw in the 25 cent trigger job (which is cleaning and polishing), and you're good to go.
You can use a reduced power plunger spring for carry as well.

You can get this all in a kit from Ghost for less than $30 bucks.

Last edited:

25sierraman

I looked on that site and now I'm really considering a kit from them once the army gives me my bi weekly bag of beans and some pocket lint. How would that look in court though if my Glock was used in Self defense? Would that be something that they could use against me? I remember reading a few articles warning against lightening trigger pulls on carry weapons. I guess if i stuck with their "patrol" package i could always use the argument that it is used by a major law enforcement agency.

simmonsjoe

I looked on that site and now I'm really considering a kit from them once the army gives me my bi weekly bag of beans and some pocket lint. How would that look in court though if my Glock was used in Self defense? Would that be something that they could use against me? I remember reading a few articles warning against lightening trigger pulls on carry weapons. I guess if i stuck with their "patrol" package i could always use the argument that it is used by a major law enforcement agency.
Read on Ghost website about the trigger weight issue.

Know that even after modifying your Glock, it's trigger is no where NEAR what many 1911's or some DA's are out of the box. I believe this fear to be a non-issue. My carry glock uses the Ultimate 3.5 kit w/ stock striker spring, and all but 1mm of takeup has been removed, and the trigger safety has been re-profiled to continue functioning.

inbox485

Usually I'm a die hard Sig fan but lately my wallet just isn't up to the challenge. This guy comes along selling a barely touched Glock 22 3rd gen in excellent shape. There's not a single blemish on the slide or anything so about 340 dollars later i have a nice new (to me) Glock 22 in my hands. I think my Sigs are jealous and probably my XDM as well but i can't put this thing down. The grip angle is still something I'm getting used to but I think somethings wrong with me. The blocky "old" Glock is really attractive to me all of a sudden. It's so much easier to clean than my XDM with all of its little annoying crevices and what not. Much like my Sigs all i have to do with this one is just take the slide off of the frame and wipe it down. No swabs or anything required really. Now as much as I hate to admit id im looking at possibly getting a 10mm from Glock..... is something wrong with me? am i a Sig Traitor? haha

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, guns only have one type of beauty, and that is function. So to me the beauty of a Glock isn't if it looks like the same gun your grandpa had, it is if it functions well for you. I like 45 but Glocks in 45 have too long of a trigger reach. So, not so pretty to me. But I see them do things of beauty in the hands of others all the time.

Wastelander

I have never consciously paid attention to trigger subtleties or differences between firearms, and I can only recall using one firearm that I hated the trigger on and that was a .22 double-action-only revolver that was older than my grandfather. It felt like I was pulling a bowstring through sand with one finger. Between all of the rifles I've fired, and between the few shotguns I've fired, I haven't paid any attention to the trigger--squeeze it smoothly and when it goes, it goes. I don't have as much handgun experience but when I tried a Glock 17 a few weeks ago (the first time I've ever even touched a Glock) the trigger felt a little funny because of that safety lever on it, but otherwise I didn't notice anything about the trigger. I also shot twice as well with it than with my CZ-82 :eek:

Last edited:

Dreamer

Here is a question for all you Glock fans...

In the users manuals that ship with new Glocks, it says NOT to carry a Glock in "ready to fire condition", in bright red type in the "warnings" column of the text.

So do you guys carry with "one in the pipe", or do you carry your Glocks, as per the manual, in "Israeli Condition", i.e. loaded mag in the gun, but no round in the chamber?

Just wondering...

swinokur

Activist Member
one in the pipe. I saw a video of a jewelry store robbery where the owner was shot and killed before he could chamber a round. That sealed it for me. I think Glock put that in their manuals to satisfy their lawyers and protect themselves from lawsuits. I have never been in a SD situation but people who have said it's over in seconds.You need to be ready for instant reaction. I think with frequent practice you learn to keep your finger off the trigger. It's the rule for any handgun, not just Glocks, right?. I have 2 Glocks and a Kimber I carry condition 1 as well. As they say if there is not one in the pipe, you're carrying a brick.

My .02

Last edited:

Dreamer

I sort of figured it was just a legal CYA move on Glock's part to put that in their manuals. They probably put that line in there after all the DC Metro cops had NDs and shot themselves in the a$$es a feet while on the range, and off-duty back in the late 1999's when they switched from revolvers to the Glock 19 (without training, mind you...)

Interesting thing, Glock says in their manuals that it's OK for police and military to carry that way, but everyone else should carry without one chambered. We can probably get a pretty accurate read on their corporate sentiments from the manuals, because, words DO have meaning.

Then again, Glock IS essentially the Austrian version of Lockheed--they are pretty much the center of the European military-industrial complex. I doubt think their primary concern is the security and well-being of the "common man"...

swinokur

Activist Member
I went and looked in my Kimber manual and it has the same warning, albeit it's not bolded or in red.

It says : "do not walk, run or jump with a round in the chamber"

So you should only chamber a round and use it when standing still? yeah right.

WTF? If that's not their General Counsel wording, I don't know what is.

It's like GM warning you not to drive your car, but sitting in it is ok.

Mines is cocked and locked with with one in the pipe. as it should be

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

The kit shown in your link is what I was referring to. I have had the Scherer 3.5 connector and the Wolf 4# striker spring in one of my Glocks in the past and it produced around a 3 1/2 pound trigger. But I removed the striker spring and returned to the stock unit for reliability's sake since that gun was one of my carry guns. I didn't want to risk a failed primer striker with a lighter spring during an extreme encounter.

That gun currently has a Glock 3.5 connector (part #00135), as do several of my other Glocks. And it also has a GlockParts 6# trigger spring. I tried the Wolf 6# trigger spring and found the one sold by GlockParts to be a little better. This results in approximately a 4 1/2 pound trigger and fits my needs well.

SouthernBoy

In Virginia, the fact you may have used a modified SD gun is not going to be the primary issue. Whether or not the shooting was excusable IS going to be the major concern. We have was is called an "affirmative defense" in this state. This means that you affirm that, yes you did shoot the BG, yes you meant to do this, and yes, if you were presented with the same set of circumstances, you would do so again. A lighter trigger is not a factor in a deliberate use of deadly force.

Now with that said, it is both prudent and advisable that you do your research and spend time learning about what after-market parts may serve your purposes before spending the money and installing them on your Glock. For example, there have been a couple of after-market connectors which have seemed to cause double taps and/or have failed to reset for the next round. So choose your parts carefully. I have tested five connectors in my primary carry G23 and have found that overall, the Glock connector (part number previously mentioned) has performed the best. I did a writeup about this some time ago which may turn up with a search (I think I posted here, too).

So do your homework, learn as much as you can about this pistol, and take your time when considering modifications.

SouthernBoy

Here is a question for all you Glock fans...

In the users manuals that ship with new Glocks, it says NOT to carry a Glock in "ready to fire condition", in bright red type in the "warnings" column of the text.

So do you guys carry with "one in the pipe", or do you carry your Glocks, as per the manual, in "Israeli Condition", i.e. loaded mag in the gun, but no round in the chamber?

Just wondering...

I always assume a worse case scenario when considering extreme situations. For me, this means to imagine that I will not get my Glock chambered in time to use it if I were to carry it without one in the tube. It also means for me to imagine that if I am facing a BG or BG's who manage to disable my left arm/hand, then I am going to be in a lot of immediate trouble with an unchambered gun.

So yes, there is always one in the pipe with any gun I carry, regardless of who the manufacturer may be. I don't want to worry about chambering it, releasing a safety, or cocking it. All I want to do is worry about hearing it go bang when I do the one thing that would need to be done in such a situation: pull the trigger.

MKEgal

I carry ready to fire. Hopefully I'll never need it, but if I do, I want that extra couple seconds that I'd otherwise spend on racking the slide. Or if I'm injured & only have one hand, what do I do then? Or if the BG has me by one arm...

SouthernBoy

When I was carrying an M9 overseas it was always chambered (unless on the FOB) and the safety stayed off.... Thanks for all the great info SouthernBoy!

You're most welcome. I would once again emphasize to take your time, consider your options for your Glock, see what you feel you would like to do with the gun, then research that decision. What works for one person is not necessarily going to be good for someone else.

And Glocks differ because they are not perfect mechanical devices. My primary carry Glock 23 came from the factory with night sights, an extended slide stop, and a five pound trigger instead of the standard 5.5 pound unit. Almost two years ago, I bought another G23 just to have as a backup in case I had to use my primary. That one was dead stock with no factory add-ons and the 5.5 pound trigger. It felt better out of the box than my primary G23 did out of the box - same for my G19, although both of those guns have the Glock 3.5 connector and the smooth face trigger in them now. My G19 has perhaps the best trigger of the lot.

Carry guns are funny. I find that depending upon a variable set of circumstances on occasion, I alter my carry pieces. For example, tomorrow I am leaving town for a week and will be taking two of my "other" carry guns from my stable: a Kahr K9 Elite '03 and a Kel-Tec P3AT as a BUG. It's just that under the circumstances in which I will be operating, those two guns will serve my purposes better.

There are a few other guns in my carry stable (XD40 and an M&P40) which also fall in line, though I have yet to carry the XD40. I just couldn't pass it up at the price it was being offered at at a gun show (new) of $419. But my primary carry piece has been my first-of-the-two Glock 23's for the past 3 1/2 years. It rides well, is comfortable, fits my needs quite well, uses a good defensive caliber, and has decent capacity. And with the mods I have done, it is accurate and the reliability has not suffered one bit.