• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Neighbor Said "There Is No Need To Wear Your Gun In Your Home"

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
A week or so ago I was speaking with one of my neighbors daughters (21 y.o.) and she mentioned to me that her mother said there is no reason for me to wear my gun in my home or around my home. So we (the daughter) and I got into a great discussion about "when" we should holster up and wear our guns. Now the daughter is a stout believer in carrying at all times (she wasn't last year but slowly came into the light) and is in the pipeline to become a Kenosha City police officer. I discussed home invasions with her and that where I use to live the city had quite a few home invasions from people dressed or saying they were the police. Long story short, the bottom line was "I never know when or if I will need it and I don't want to find out the hard way".

Horrible story about a home invasion that destroyed an entire family:

http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr/9000/23056114/Conn_jury_convicts_man_in_deadly_home_invasion

skorittnig

Interesting that you cite the Conn. case- my first inclination was to ask you to remind her of that very instance. It was tough to watch that man address the media after the verdict today- I can't imagine the sense of loss he must feel.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
That Case Is Horrible

I have been keeping up with that case and have read everything I can find about it. I did mention that case to the young woman and that when I lived in Florida home invasions were on the NEWS every single day.

She gets it. Her mother doesn't. Now a year ago this young lady would never have agreed with me. Interesting how her perception of reality has changed in a year.

protias

No need to wear a firearm in your home? Tell that to my friend in Brookfield who was home while is home was being broken into during the day earlier this year.

hardballer

No more than an arms length away...

That Conn case is unfathomable. How does he recover from that?

I learned the way of the gun from a retired Army Ranger. We found common ground in the 2A, the 1911 and shooting. I learned a lot. What sticks with me most days is this. He said, never be more than an arms length away from your firearm, be it a long gun or sidearm, at home or in the field.

I have taken that advice to heart. Holster in the morn and set it beside me at night. No exception. Feels weird to have to leave it in a vehicle when entering a "Gun safe" area.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

KBCraig

Like someone says over on the Texas CHL forum: "Carry 24/7, or guess right."

If we could choose the time and place and circumstances where we might need a gun, we would simply avoid those situations. Since we lack the gift of prescience, we must either be prepared at all times for unexpected violence, or "guess right" about when such violence might occur.

M

McX

home invasion is home invasion. no one is exempt. random odds will probably determine if your going to be a victim. you have the chance to increase the odds in your favor. even a fool would see and appreciate that hopefully. give 'em hell Rak, give them the word!

ayce2

Eye for an eye

These so-called "men" in Ct. are nothing more than rabid animals and need to be put down.

They should be given the same path to eternity that they gave their victims. Also in my opinoin their demise should be public, not at midnight in some basement room of a penitentary.

M

McX

one could extrapolate the neighbor's comment to another rediuculous statement: there is no need to wear clothes in your home, you don't need them.

TyGuy

one could extrapolate the neighbor's comment to another rediuculous statement: there is no need to wear clothes in your home, you don't need them.
Some of us dont. LOL

protias

Some of us dont. LOL
too-much-information.gif

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

They should be given the same path to eternity that they gave their victims. Also in my opinoin their demise should be public, not at midnight in some basement room of a penitentary.

I also believe that the to be true, eye for an eye. And make it public, what better way to deture a would be thug then show them what will happen. However I would feel horrible to find the wrong person lost their hand in a theft charge or the wrong person was executed :eek:

ayce2

Hang'em High

I also believe that the to be true, eye for an eye. And make it public, what better way to deture a would be thug then show them what will happen. However I would feel horrible to find the wrong person lost their hand in a theft charge or the wrong person was executed :eek:
I did not mean to advocate amputation for a theft, that would only make a permanent disabled theif getting government checks. I do believe our legal system goes through extensive hurddles before using the death penalty. I understand that it costs more to exucute a prisoner than to lock him up for life. Still I wouldn't like a wrongful execution...but in over whelming evidence as in this case..... hang'em high

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Sorry for not responding sooner!

Do you, OP, recall who the AG was while you lived in Goose Creek, was it Charlie Condon that made good on his promise not to prosecute any home owners for killing home invaders?

Doug, I didn't have the "notifications" turned on and just noticed this today. Way back then I never even knew what day it was, much less who was in the political arenas. Remember those were the days of 120 hour work weeks and "Underway On Nuclear Power" days.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Home Invasions Happen Every Day All Over The World.

People feel safest in their homes. That is their "Castle" so to speak and most of us think those walls, doors, windows, etc...will stop all things evil. We know this to not be true and WE realize this. That is why many of us open carry or conceal carry (when legal) to protect ourselves and our families from evil.

I cannot fathom how any parent can lie there and listen/watch what is happening to his/her family. Those are things from the worst horror movies ever made. With that said I NEVER want to experience that and I will always carry my firearm at all times and as Hardballer stated when I am not wearing it it WILL be close at hand...ready to go.