• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And the Gun control begins.

cheezhed

Yep I think that the antis will try to use this as excuse to try to limit magazine capacity and put new purchase restrictions in place

SprayAndPray

It is a very good thing the Dem's don't control everything right now, the mid term elections were a real blessing.

Yup..... two problems for the Dems......

a) reps have the house

b) this happened to a pro gun woman, in a pro gun state. I believe I heard The father of the little girl killed already came out and said , dont blame the gun , we dont need more gun laws , and I suspect the congress woman will have the same attitude. They wont have a teary victim to parade in from on the cameras ....

" What was that guys beef?" Reagan after coming out of anesthesia after his assassination attempt.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
From the article: "
Pennsylvania Rep. Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he also plans to take legislative action. He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress."

Oooh, they are going to attack the 1A while they're at it. Pretty soon my Gadsdens flag will be looked at as some kind of threat. *rolls eyes*

These people are nothing but reactionary idiots.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Could tighter gun laws have saved lives in Tucson?
By Zachary Roth
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...jBF9TAzIwMjM4Mjc1MjQEZW1haWxJZAMxMjk0Njg5ODE0

By Zachary Roth zachary Roth –

Had the federal assault weapons ban, which Congress let expire in 2004 remained in effect, Saturday's shooting in Tucson would likely have killed and injured far fewer people. And if either Arizona or federal law made it harder for people with a history of mental health problems to get guns, then the suspect in the rampage might never have obtained a weapon.

Gun-control advocates are reminding lawmakers and the public of how readily disturbed shooters can obtain rapid-fire weaponry in a fresh push to tighten laws in the wake of the shooting, which killed 6 people and injured 14, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.).

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), who ran for Congress after her husband was shot and killed on a Long Island commuter train in 1994, has said she'll introduce legislation that targets high-capacity ammunition clips of the kind said to have been used in Tucson. As we've reported, law enforcement officials have said that the gun used in the shooting, a Glock 9mm, could hold about 30 or more rounds, two or three times a normal magazine capacity. And today they told NBC that the shooter got off at least 31 rounds.

The federal assault weapons ban, which passed in 1994 and expired in 2004, prohibited magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Gun-control advocates say that had such clips still been outlawed, and therefore far harder to acquire, Saturday's shooting spree would likely have caused far less damage. The shooter would have had to stop to reload, allowing others to subdue him--the very scenario that occurred after he spent his first magazine.

"If he had a revolver or a knife or a clip under 10 rounds, a lot more people would be alive today, or not shot," Brian Malte of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, told The Lookout.

Gun-control advocates also are pressing to get laws passed to make it harder for those with a history of mental health problems to get guns. Jared Loughner, the suspect in Saturday's shooting, had been kicked out of Pima Community College until a doctor could certify that he didn't pose a threat to himself or others there. But because a court hadn't found Loughner to be mentally ill -- the benchmark that federal law currently requires -- he would have passed the background check that he had to undergo to buy his Glock 9mm. Malte said that a push to broaden the federal mental health prohibition so it would apply to cases like Loughner's is now being considered.

Malte also argued that state gun laws need strengthening. California, he noted, allows law enforcement professionals to declare someone a danger to themselves or others, which then prevents them from getting a gun without an OK from a medical professional. It's possible, though by no means certain, that a similar system in Arizona -- which has some of the weakest gun laws in the nation -- would have prevented Loughner from getting a weapon. Aside from getting kicked out of school amid concerns over his mental health, he had also been arrested numerous times.

But Charles Heller of the Arizona Citizens Defense League, a gun-rights group, thinks tougher restrictions wouldn't help. "More laws equal more restrictions on people's ability to defend themselves," Heller told the LA Times.

"What happened at the Safeway plaza shows why it's so important for people to be armed," he said, "because evil is out there."

Support for gun control has waned in recent years. A Gallup poll from October 2010 found that just 44 percent of Americans favored stricter gun laws -- down from 78 percent in 1990.

Last edited:

apierce918

^^ people that dont know what they are talking about. what's to say that the lady who struggled with the shooter when he was trying to reload would have been in the same spot after just 10 rounds rather than 31? it's likely she wasnt, which makes it likely he could have reloaded.

oh, and a glock doesnt accept clips, so good luck with that.

the ban didnt destroy every magazine that was more than 10 rounds either.

Interceptor_Knight

better start stocking up on Hi Caps. let the hording frenzy being.

You mean let the artificial shortage begin which is generated by both the chicken little types and those who wish to take advantage of them by hoarding and then selling for inflated prices later??? :dude:

Most of this scalping took place 2 years ago... It is pretty soon for people to fall for it again but this kind of stupidity never suprises me..

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
You mean let the artificial shortage begin which is generated by both the chicken little types and those who wish to take advantage of them by hoarding and then selling for inflated prices later??? :dude:

Most of this scalping took place 2 years ago... It is pretty soon for people to fall for it again but this kind of stupidity never suprises me..

LOL, I was being sarcastic, yet serious. They will try to use this Sad event to the best of their anti gun ability as it has already begun. I have enough mags....oh, wait. you can never have enough..lol

Jason in WI

Pretty soon my Gadsdens flag will be looked at as some kind of threat. *rolls eyes*

What do you mean, pretty soon :uhoh: ? You already represent a "threat", well at least to Homeland Security :eek:.

Anti-governmentFlags.jpg

Kelevra

In an editorial in Tuesday's print editions, we'll argue for reinstating a ban on assault weapons, which expired several years ago. Such a ban would have covered the type of weapon used by the alleged shooter in the Arizona killings last weekend.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/113239779.html
I don't think so. Unless things have changed, he was shooting a Glock with an extended mag. Not an assault weapon. They will try anything. If we sit quietly by and allow the BS to flow, they might get traction. If we stand up for a change, I don't think it will fly!

Landose_theghost

So they wanna re-instate the AW ban...

Because it "could" (emphasis on "could") have stopped this massacre from happening? I doubt it, what if he decided to get damn good and accurate with those "legal" 10 shots in the compliant mags? And the claim that " If he had a wheel gun, this couldn't have happend", is complete crap! I've personaly seen guys shoot skeet with a .357/.38 special and reload without skipping a beat, gotta luv speed loaders!. And for that matter, what's to stop one from training with the 10 rounders so the mag swap is less than a blink of an eye like this guy? Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFxgQmxbGI

IMO we might aswell make with the ban on human emotion ala the movie "Equilibrium", that will solve everything and the anti's will then have thier promised land.

-Landose-

Last edited: