• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The right to read books

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
In light of the library case I thought I would repost this. Forgive me I don't know the original author of this.

DISPASSIONATE ANALYSIS OF THE AMENDMENT'S SYNTACTICAL ARCHITECTURE
MAY BE FACILITATED BY THE FOLLOWING ANALOGY:​

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" US Constitution, 2nd Amendment

ANALOGY: A well educated electorate being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed

1.Does this say that only voters have the right to read books?
2. Does this say "well educated" only by STATE GOVERNMENT colleges
3. Does this say that only voters who are professors or graduates of state run colleges have the right to read books?

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
In light of the library case I thought I would repost this. Forgive me I don't know the original author of this.

DISPASSIONATE ANALYSIS OF THE AMENDMENT'S SYNTACTICAL ARCHITECTURE
MAY BE FACILITATED BY THE FOLLOWING ANALOGY:​

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" US Constitution, 2nd Amendment

ANALOGY: A well educated electorate being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed

1.Does this say that only voters have the right to read books?
2. Does this say "well educated" only by STATE GOVERNMENT colleges
3. Does this say that only voters who are professors or graduates of state run colleges have the right to read books?

Well put! Just like the old days; keep the subjects illiterate, make sure all books (e.g. bibles) are in Latin, so that only the educated few could read them anyway. Burn any heretic that translates books into the common language.

A certain denomination regularly included comments in the preface to the bible that it should only be read in the presence of clergy, so that if a question arose, they would be able to tell the reader what they should think about it. God forbid the reader form an opinion of their own.

Come to think about it, this analogy applies to lawyers & politicians, writing laws in such a manner to befuddle those less fluent in legalese. We should have a constitutional amendment that requires all laws to be written in a manner that a fifth grader would understand, and that all laws pertaining to a particular issue (e.g. firearms) be located in one section of the code for easy reference. Sure, and that going to happen!

Michigander

Of course it doesn't mean those things! Those aren't reasonable restrictions at all.

THESE would be some reasonable ways to control the illicit flow of information.

No mass information storage books (MISB), meaning more than 100 pages are allowed for anyone other than a public library agency registered with the information control agency (ICA), or a private library agency which pays a special tax every year. The official name of someone who pays this tax is Special Occupational Tax Payer. (SOT)

Patrons who use these libraries will be allowed to view the MISB's, but only after showing ID and passing a background check. It will cost one dollar per page to view these books at most locations, with an added fee of 100 dollars per hour.

MISB's registered for 200 dollars each before the amnisty period ends will be allowed to be sold freely among the states that allow it, but only for those who are at least 21 and graduated from a community college or better. Each transfer of pre ban MISB's will take about 6 months for the ICA to process, because they will need to review your background to find out why you are getting the books. Additionally, pre ban MISB purchasers will need to have a signature from the head of a local library or dean of a local college. Transport of these books will require the carrying of the registration paperwork at all times, and they must be in a locked container or trunk while being transported in a vehicle. Transporting across state lines requires prior ICA approval.

Unregulated books are always 100 pages or less, and have size 10-14 font. Hard cover books are illegal. Fictional books which the ICA board deems non educational are illegal. No books may be possessed by a convicted felon, or someone under the age of 18 unless under the direct supervision of a ICA licensed teacher, or a parent.

Violations of any of these rules is a felony, punishable by 10 years for each offense.

Those with vision impairment may apply for a permit for a disability license to allow them larger font, but the ICA doesn't like to issue them, and they are usually only available to those with connections.

Last edited:

mastiff69

Michigander, i like your way of thinking,
oh and add no more than half hour per day of internet research allowed per day,
violation of ordance shall then be subject to 7 days of labor at a Gun range...