• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Excellent 2nd amendment lawyers on the Va forum

celticredneck

While everyone here is familiar with User and Skidmark's ongoing Surry saga. I'd also like to recommend Mark Matthews of the Matthews law group in Richmond. He did an excellent job handling my wife's appeal of her CHP denial in Amelia, and at a very reasonable price. Mark posts here on the forum as VAlitigator. Anyone who wants more info can PM me of this board, PM Mark or contact Mark at his office. He is in the Richmond phone book.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
While everyone here is familiar with User and Skidmark's ongoing Surry saga. I'd also like to recommend Mark Matthews of the Matthews law group in Richmond. He did an excellent job handling my wife's appeal of her CHP denial in Amelia, and at a very reasonable price. Mark posts here on the forum as VAlitigator. Anyone who wants more info can PM me of this board, PM Mark or contact Mark at his office. He is in the Richmond phone book.
I have used BOTH Dan and Mark and have been more than satisfied with each.

Ed

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have used BOTH Dan and Mark and have been more than satisfied with each.

Ed

I have consulted with Dan but never needed his services beyond that. My feelings about his abilities are pretty evident. I commented yesterday that although I dramatize some of his feats, they're all based on solid fact.

I've met Mark and spoken with him as well as followed some of his cases. He does appear to be an excellent lawyer and comes across as knowledgeable, even tempered and probably pretty dangerous as an opponent in court.

Hopefully I'll have more interaction with Mark in the future.
The only negative thing I've heard about Mark is that he's not very good about returning messages from members here.

45acpForMe

Living in Yorktown I have seen on the VCDL site lists of gun friendly lawyers.

My question is how location dependent are lawyers? If I had a legal issue in Richmond then calling Mark Matthews might make sense but if I got hung out to dry in VA Beach do I need to find a lawyer that will work in that locality? I am sure travel costs add to the overall cost if they will take a remote-location case.

I guess the only answer is to print the VCDL page and carry it around so that if I get in trouble anywhere in the state I will have a local lawyer hopefully available. :)

One other question is if you are "getting your one phone call" and you pick someone from the list, what are the chances that they will pick up or take the case? I would prefer to have one (the best) on some form of retainer and have them know me before I ever need them.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I can also recommend Jason Greenwood in
Fredericksburg, though I don't believe he
participates here; also Robert Herron in
Chesapeake is here as ArmedBarrister.

Last edited:

VAlitigator

celticredneck - thanks for the kind words.

peter nap - PMs thru the site are not a good way to reach me. I'm normally very punctual about returning emails and phone calls, although one member and I had problems earlier this year connecting - he'd leave a voicemail for me, I wouldn't take his phone number down because I thought I had his number already but actually didn't, so I take responsibility for that.

hell, the fact that I even TAKE ed's calls tells you that I'm good at communicating :lol:

I have user on speed-dial, because if I get into criminal trouble he's the first person I'm calling.

As for location being important, I would say it is important if the lawyer in question is well-known as having a good reputation in the courts in which he/she practices. Sometimes that local trusted touch can make the difference. And it is just as important to have a lawyer who knows the substantive law in the practice area in question.

VAlitigator

Living in Yorktown I have seen on the VCDL site lists of gun friendly lawyers.

My question is how location dependent are lawyers? If I had a legal issue in Richmond then calling Mark Matthews might make sense but if I got hung out to dry in VA Beach do I need to find a lawyer that will work in that locality? I am sure travel costs add to the overall cost if they will take a remote-location case.

I guess the only answer is to print the VCDL page and carry it around so that if I get in trouble anywhere in the state I will have a local lawyer hopefully available. :)

One other question is if you are "getting your one phone call" and you pick someone from the list, what are the chances that they will pick up or take the case? I would prefer to have one (the best) on some form of retainer and have them know me before I ever need them.

If you want a criminal lawyer who is gun-friendly and gun-knowledgeable, and will take your call (and probably take your case), get to know one in advance. For criminal defense, I recommend user on this board.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the vote, Mark. I would make a couple of observations, too...

First, I travel pretty much all over Virginia, because the kind of cases I handle are limited (defensive litigation, mostly criminal, mostly involving firearms, serious felonies, or allegations of violent behavior - no wills, divorces, real estate closings, etc.); though it does cost more for me to go to, say, Wise County or Danville than it does for me to go to Spottsylvania or Front Royal - the former are two or three day trips for me, the latter are each about one hour away.

Secondly, a "retainer" is a fixed amount of money you pay on a periodic basis to an attorney just for the privilege of being able to say that he's your attorney (as well as to keep him from becoming the attorney of anyone who may want to sue you). A "retainer" is earned when paid, and no particular work is required. I do not charge any retainer. I charge by the case for actual work to be done, and I generally charge an "advance against costs and fees", which is the client's money held by me in a special "attorney escrow" account at a bank used only to hold other people's money. I take my fee when I've earned it and pay costs (e.g., court reporter fees) as they arise out of it. The balance is still the client's money and is returned after the dust settles. The people who pay retainers are generally folks like chemical and oil companies who get sued a lot, and want to have some assurance that whatever comes up, McGuire, Woods or Hunton and Williams will take care of it for them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have two attorneys on my "go to" list and both are mentioned predominately in this thread as well as elsewhere on this forum. :D

Hope I never need you guys, but it is good to know that you are there.

45acpForMe

In the past I have been forced to change health insurance and the new list of doctors was 30 long in the area. The only problem was that 27 of them weren't taking new patients! So I figure a retainer would lock you in with a known lawyer that would take your case when needed. If I am ever in need of a lawyer I don't want to be going down the list hoping to find one available, I would prefer to know which one is available, recommended and desired and my goto lawyer. :)

As far as cost, I went through a divorce a few years back and things can get fairly expensive quickly. I know a two or three day trip adds cost and how much matters assuming the representation is equal. From the sounds of things though I will have User's phone number on speed dial in case I find myself at the pokey.

If Skidmark can be wrung through the ringer with the poise he has, I feel it is a matter of time before my less 2A-knowledgeable butt will be in need of representation. :-(

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I always thought that it could be slightly lucrative for an attorney to get on this forum and offer his services to the members.

Since the subject of gun-friendly lawyers has been brought up I used one on the VCDL list, James Granoski in Alexandria. It's tough that I live in Richmond and he lives in Northern Virginia, but he has been helpful. I used him to set up a special kind of trust and the trust seems to be done right. You may say that a trust could be done on legal zoom or somewhere else. I just paid him and had the peace of mine it was done right for my particular set of circumstances. It was a little pricey, but I am fairly certain he set it up exactly how I needed it and he was very fast and easy to get in contact with.

I saved Mark's information with the idea that I would make contact with him since he lives in Richmond.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I always thought that it could be slightly lucrative for an attorney to get on this forum and offer his services to the members. ...

Just one problem with that reasoning: the people who carry guns and who frequent sites like this don't generate much business for lawyers. They tend to be socially responsible, law abiding, self-reliant, independent thinkers who don't cause trouble.

What I need is more crime!

streetdoc

Just one problem with that reasoning: the people who carry guns and who frequent sites like this don't generate much business for lawyers. They tend to be socially responsible, law abiding, self-reliant, independent thinkers who don't cause trouble.

Just like me, as a FF/Paramedic, I hope that nobody gets sick or injuried, if they are going to do it though, do it on my shift.

TFred

Or... One could argue that your best business comes from bad cops, charging the innocent with crimes they did not commit... ;)

But "we" certainly don't need more of those...

TFred

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran

I see your point, I was thinking more along the lines of NFA trusts, setting up an FFL or becoming a special class dealer.

BTW I sent you a PM, don't know if you got it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Or... One could argue that your best business comes from bad cops, charging the innocent with crimes they did not commit... ;)

But "we" certainly don't need more of those...

TFred

Yes and no TFred.
User has always reminded me of Gerry Spence who had at one time reached the pinnacle of sought after defense lawyers.
User isn't a show boater like Spense but he is a joy to watch in the courtroom.