• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why cite Cornell Law rather than the GPO.gov site?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Cornell is often the first one to come up on a web search. Sometimes it is easier to search through their site than the .gov site. They often have commentary attached or linked that helps understand the ramifications and implications of the case. Yes, you need to keep your BS meter working because all commentary is biased one way or another.

Have you ever run into the Cornell site giving false or misleading or incomplete info?

If not, this seems a tempest in a teapot stirred up by a pedant. (Said from one pedant to another.)

stay safe.

We-the-People

I'll bet if you read the fine print the dot gov site says something like this:

"This site is maintained...[yadda yadda yadda]...only the copy of the [insert regulation name here] maintained by by the legislative recorders office is official"

Oregon's legislative site, where we access our regulations, has this disclaimer:

The text appearing in this database was produced from material provided by the Legislative Counsel Committee of the Oregon Legislative Assembly. The official record copy is the printed published copy of the Oregon Revised Statutes. The text in the database is not the official text of Oregon law.

Although efforts have been made to match the database text to the official legal text they represent, substantive errors or differences may remain. It is the user’s responsibility to verify the legal accuracy of all legal text. The State of Oregon is not liable for any loss or damage resulting from errors introduced into the materials supplied by the Legislative Counsel Committee, by a user or any third party, or resulting from any defect in or misuse of any search software, drivers or other equipment.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I'll bet if you read the fine print the dot gov site says something like this:

"This site is maintained...[yadda yadda yadda]...only the copy of the [insert regulation name here] maintained by by the legislative recorders office is official"

Oregon's legislative site, where we access our regulations, has this disclaimer:

The text appearing in this database was produced from material provided by the Legislative Counsel Committee of the Oregon Legislative Assembly. The official record copy is the printed published copy of the Oregon Revised Statutes. The text in the database is not the official text of Oregon law.

Although efforts have been made to match the database text to the official legal text they represent, substantive errors or differences may remain. It is the user’s responsibility to verify the legal accuracy of all legal text. The State of Oregon is not liable for any loss or damage resulting from errors introduced into the materials supplied by the Legislative Counsel Committee, by a user or any third party, or resulting from any defect in or misuse of any search software, drivers or other equipment.

I like your handle !

We-the-People

I like your handle !

Thank you. I've been using that handle since the early 90's when I had my first web site dedicated to liberty and freedom. Back then the internet was an infant and I was on active duty. I used my website to "publish" stories of government out of control (it's not a new issue) as well as to promote the ideals of the Constitution, Liberty, Freedom, etc.

I was on active military duty at the time and so I kept my personal info off the site and used the We The People nom de plume. Wish I'd had the forethought to secure the domain name.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
It will probably be a little while before the NV legislature website is updated.

I agree that the federal .gov websites are a probably a little bit better for legal citations than Cornell law, but Cornell law was a good enough source for my professors.

Last edited:

KBCraig

skidmark answered my original question best (actually he was the only one that answered it :) ). "Cornell is often the first one to come up on a web search"
There's one more reason: Cornell does often come up as first in a web search, but it's more important that the Cornell links usually lead directly to the Code section in question. The GPO links, as often as not, take you to the Title page, and good luck finding what you're actually looking for.