• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

See if I understand everything

OC for ME

Got it. Non-event for you.

A similar situation for another may not be a non-event. What are the lessons learned re requesting information on cop nitwittery? Force a paper trail to be generated? My one and only "polite harassing" prompted me to encourage the cop to generate a report that I could request, or I would use a audio recording of my polite harassing that would relate the actual facts of the contact. Simply put, I gave that cop an opportunity to document a non-event. I do not have any desire to negatively impact a cop's employment status or his career plans. But I will not tolerate cop nitwittery. So, in my view, there is no such thing as a non-event where a cop stops a citizen where no unlawful behavior is witnessed by that cop.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Got it. Non-event for you.

No, you don't have it. The police were called on the non-emergency line, investigated, and found no crime happening or about to happen hence no report beyond nothing to report. Because it was not the 911 line, no specific record or recording of the call exist and due to no criminal activity in progress or about to progress the call was filed as a non-event or similar term meaning they showed up and there was nothing to report.

I was not particularly happy about it, but overall as stated, it indeed was far far less intrusive than most interactions and timing considered unworthy of any form of payment or further action required. I followed up on it in two manners and am more than satisfied with the results of both. That does not take anything away from my efforts and desires to see changes in the law to make such events a thing of the past including making them actionable free of cost to the victim in the future.

OC for ME

No, you don't have it. The police were called on the non-emergency line, investigated, and found no crime happening or about to happen hence no report beyond nothing to report. Because it was not the 911 line, no specific record or recording of the call exist and due to no criminal activity in progress or about to progress the call was filed as a non-event or similar term meaning they showed up and there was nothing to report.

I was not particularly happy about it, but overall as stated, it indeed was far far less intrusive than most interactions and timing considered unworthy of any form of payment or further action required. I followed up on it in two manners and am more than satisfied with the results of both. That does not take anything away from my efforts and desires to see changes in the law to make such events a thing of the past including making them actionable free of cost to the victim in the future.
Please accept my apologies, I have a clear understanding of the situation, thank you. Did you record this encounter?

Repeated for contextual purposes.
My one and only "polite harassing" prompted me to encourage the cop to generate a report that I could request, or I would use a audio recording of my polite harassing that would relate the actual facts of the contact. Simply put, I gave that cop an opportunity to document a non-event. I do not have any desire to negatively impact a cop's employment status or his career plans. But I will not tolerate cop nitwittery. So, in my view, there is no such thing as a non-event where a cop stops a citizen where no unlawful behavior is witnessed by that cop.
There is no requirement that I must request the report, but that cop knew that I could. There are, at times, an opportunity to teach "on the side of the road" in a polite and respectful manner. I have come to believe that a cop not generating a report because he stopped me without lawful justification is not doing me, or anyone else for that matter, any favors.

A cop being taught by me, in a appropriate informal non-confrontational manner, was likely "better" than he being taught by his boss in a more formal manner. Whether or not that cop holds a similar view is unknown to me.