• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry walk, Saturday 9/7 Van Buren AR

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Some of us are planning a trip to Arkansas this Saturday to join Arkansas Carry in their efforts to gain media exposure and assert their new right to unlicensed open carry in Arkansas. We'll be meeting at the Van Buren library at 9am. Anyone need a ride? Can pick up one or two anywhere between okc and the state line along I40.

DFArcher

Some of us are planning a trip to Arkansas this Saturday to join Arkansas Carry in their efforts to gain media exposure and assert their new right to unlicensed open carry in Arkansas. We'll be meeting at the Van Buren library at 9am. Anyone need a ride? Can pick up one or two anywhere between okc and the state line along I40.

These types of events seem counter productive. A in your face approach does not tend to win people over to your point of view or cause.....just the opposite is true.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
These types of events seem counter productive. A in your face approach does not tend to win people over to your point of view or cause.....just the opposite is true.
That may be true of people predisposed to be anti OC.

A peaceful expression is hardly "in your face"; however, it is exactly the approach that has worked to further the pressure on legislative bodies to remove obstacles to open carry. The media attention often results in an avalanche of pro OCers and fence sitters adding their voices to the movement.

Last edited:

DFArcher

That may be true of people predisposed to be anti OC.

A peaceful expression is hardly "in your face"; however, it is exactly the approach that has worked to further the pressure on legislative bodies to remove obstacles to open carry. The media attention often results in an avalanche of pro OCers and fence sitters adding their voices to the movement.

I think you are mistaken about the fence sitters. The media coverage of these events is not always helpful. I really don't expect anyone on this forum to agree with me on this. I would just say we need to be very careful about the image we portray at scheduled media events. John Wayne style cowboy rigs and some of the statements I heard are very "in you face", and will not move any of the fence sitters to the correct side.

okiephlyer

Were there cowboy rigs? Were there some "in your face" comments? Or are you just adding elements to this situation that weren't there to support your views.
While there have been those moments, what I see is mostly polite, respectful encounters.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think you are mistaken about the fence sitters. The media coverage of these events is not always helpful. I really don't expect anyone on this forum to agree with me on this. I would just say we need to be very careful about the image we portray at scheduled media events. John Wayne style cowboy rigs and some of the statements I heard are very "in you face", and will not move any of the fence sitters to the correct side.

Were there cowboy rigs? Were there some "in your face" comments? Or are you just adding elements to this situation that weren't there to support your views.
While there have been those moments, what I see is mostly polite, respectful encounters.
Cowboy rigs? Heck I own one such for my SA .45 Colt clone and happily OC when I chose :)

Media coverage and the spin/slant of such is beyond our control; nevertheless such coverage is always good for the cause. The American public is not nearly so naive as the press would seem to believe - people are seeing through the smoke and around the mirrors. Witness the recent publicity of MAIG events and statements from the like of Lori Haas - each time these get column space in newspapers or minutes on TV, our membership increases and the percentage of people understanding RKBA notches upwards. So yes, lets stimulate the conversation and reap the benefits.

Patriot_RAM

I didn't see where anybody replied about how the walk went. It went extremely well. The mayor and chief of police helped us find a location for parking, etc. We walked beginning at the local municipal building. I put together a quick YouTube video that features the walk as well as an explanation of Act 746. Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TTdIdsxilo

Have a great day!

Patriot_RAM

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I didn't see where anybody replied about how the walk went. It went extremely well. The mayor and chief of police helped us find a location for parking, etc. We walked beginning at the local municipal building. I put together a quick YouTube video that features the walk as well as an explanation of Act 746. Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TTdIdsxilo

Have a great day!

Patriot_RAM

Welcome to OCDO Patriot_RAM - thanks for the link with pictures and video. It made a great first post!