• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Renewing permit question

cjakesnyder1988

Hey guys,

I held my TN handgun permit for several years. I then moved to Virginia for 2 years, which nullified my TN permit. I currently hold my Virginia permit. I have since moved back to TN ( THANK GOODNESS ). Do you think it will be an issue to apply for a reapply? I still have a copy of my old TN permit and I have my current Virginia permit.. Should I just file as a reissue? Thanks guys... don't want to have to do the 115 bucks and class when I have a current permit for another state

Nascar24Glock

Hey guys,

I held my TN handgun permit for several years. I then moved to Virginia for 2 years, which nullified my TN permit. I currently hold my Virginia permit. I have since moved back to TN ( THANK GOODNESS ). Do you think it will be an issue to apply for a reapply? I still have a copy of my old TN permit and I have my current Virginia permit.. Should I just file as a reissue? Thanks guys... don't want to have to do the 115 bucks and class when I have a current permit for another state

What is the expiration date on your old TN permit? If I recall correctly, it works like this. If you apply for a renewal on or before the expiration date, there's no problem at all. They should give you a temporary permit receipt for you to carry with you until they send you your renewed permit. If you apply for a renewal within 6 months after your TN permit expires, be sure to keep your VA permit active or else don't carry until they re-issue your TN permit. If it's more than 6 months after the expiration date of your old TN permit, then you'll have to go through the entire process over again ($115 plus class).

cjakesnyder1988

Thanks for the response. My TN permit does not expire until 2015.. however I believe that when I moved it became invalid. That's when I got my VA permit, which TN honors. I want to switch it back to TN and just want to make sure I can apply as a reissue

Ken56

Why do you believe its invalid? If you re established residencey and have gotten a TN driver licence and it doesn't expire till '15 why is it not good to go? I am not aware of any requirement to report anything to the dept. of safety when you move to another state so there would be no paperwork to say anything about it being invalid. Invalid pretains to your DL when you move, in my opinion, not your carry permit.

Last edited:

Fallguy

Yes, technically when you were no longer a TN resident your TN carry permit was no longer valid, but short of you turning it in, failing to renew or something like that the DOS has no way of knowing you were a VA resident for a short time. I see no reason why you can't just renew it like nothing happened. If it would have been revoked by the state they would have contacted you to send it back and if you didn't send it back they will even send troopers to pick it up.

XDS45

Hey guys,

As everyone has said you should still be good with your permit that you had before you moved. And as far as I know you shouldn't have to retake the class seeing as you have previously completed it. I might be wrong about that not sure. And did you have problems in Virginia?

Ken56

This is how I understand this. your TN permit doesn't expire till 2015, what ever the month don't matter. you moved out of TN to VA, established residency in VA, got a VA DL, got a VA permit to carry as a legal resident of VA. You move back to TN, establish residency, get a TN DL, and voila! Your TN carry permit SHOULD STILL BE GOOD. There is nothing on this that I can cite, only residency requirements. It was not revoked, it has not expired. BE SURE TO SUBMIT A CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO THE DoS. welcome back.

Last edited:

cjakesnyder1988

Thank you all for the responses. The reason I ask this is because I got pulled over in Virginia and the police officer informed me that TN was saying my permit was not valid so I got a VA one. However, I contacted the department of safety who has informed me to go get a new DL and that we reactivate the permit. And... oh my dear goodness, it is good to be out of Virginia and back to the patron state of firearms :)

Fallguy

Thank you all for the responses. The reason I ask this is because I got pulled over in Virginia and the police officer informed me that TN was saying my permit was not valid so I got a VA one. However, I contacted the department of safety who has informed me to go get a new DL and that we reactivate the permit. And... oh my dear goodness, it is good to be out of Virginia and back to the patron state of firearms :)

Thanks for the update.

After reading this it did occur to me that when you got a DL in VA, I'm sure your TN DL was cancelled and since your DL and HCP have the same number and are basically the same thing as far as how they are checked etc... I guess your HCP was cancelled too. Nice to know they can just reactivate it when you get your TN DL back.