• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

opinion on this video....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=020_1387986237

my opinion...guns are useless unless you are willing to use them

I would add, "...and legally justified in using it."

I didn't see a threat of grave bodily injury or death that would have justified lethal force.

I'm kinda disappointed the whole incident isn't recorded. For all I know, the grabber was trying to hold a shoplifter or pickpocket until police arrived, and the woman was using the gun illegally as a threat to make grabber let go so he could escape. I do understand citizens can't always start the video at the legally relevant point.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not nearly enough information to form a responsible opinion, making the video snip basically useless.

stealthyeliminator

Well... IMO if you carry a gun you should be prepared and willing to use it appropriately and lawfully to defend yourself and, should you chose, others. But guns do have use even when they aren't used to go bang and send a piece of lead through the air real fast.

In this case she attempted to use it without making it go bang, it just didn't seem to work very well.

But, as already stated, we can't really see whether or not her use of the firearm (to make threat of use of lethal force) was justified.

It looked to me as though the men on the ground were essentially stalemated... They weren't pounding each other or really causing bodily harm to one another at the moment, that we can tell, so really I'm not sure that bringing a gun into the mix at that point would do anything but potentially make the situation worse. Probably the best thing to do in that situation is get someone capable of further deescalating and resolving the confrontation there asap. If the situation has already deescalated to the point that no additional physical harm is being dealt, bringing a firearm out will probably only re-escalate the situation back into a more dangerous one. If the situation is deescalating without the threat of lethal force, probably shouldn't enter that threat into the equation.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
At the point that she arrived with the shotgun I saw no justifiable reason to apply deadly force - which she did by merely bringing the shotgun. Making the threats was also using deadly force the way the law sees those things.

Never saw a reason to believe there was a threat of imminent death or serious bodily injury except for that presented by the female and her shotgun.

Get a bucket of water. Pee on them. Lots of ways to actually seperate the two guys instead of sounding like somebody's mother (count to whatever and still not do anything).

stay safe.

onus

At the point that she arrived with the shotgun I saw no justifiable reason to apply deadly force - which she did by merely bringing the shotgun. Making the threats was also using deadly force the way the law sees those things.

Never saw a reason to believe there was a threat of imminent death or serious bodily injury except for that presented by the female and her shotgun.

I seem to recall many people on this board saying that Zimmerman was justified in shooting Martin because Martin was on top and assaulting Zimmerman.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Another thread where the OP seems determined to spin us into his contentious cloth.

Locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.