• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

We-the-People

What, no pics? Glad to hear you had a good time out on the bike.

You asked so there should be a couple of pics attached. Don't do that much so I hope it works.

These are from yesterday's 240 mile, 10 hour ride (including stops). Shady cove - Tiller - Canyonville (stopped at a local market to hydrate and have a smoke) - Roseburg (breakfast at Denny's) - then Hwy 138 (stopped at "Colliding Rivers" to check it out) - then on to Hwy 230 towards Diamond lake (stopped and hiked Watson Falls to the top of the trail) then on to Hwy 62 to Union Creek (dinner at Beckie's Cafe) - Shady Cove - HOME (phew).

We met tourists from Maine, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvannia that we know of as well as a lot of people on the hike up to the falls. Only one person mentioned the weapon, as he and his kids walked by, he just wanted to know why I had two brightly colored bands on the grip (they're for my pony tail and add a little contrast).

Attachments

• 2012-07-07_WatsonFallsHike_042.jpg
    2012-07-07_WatsonFallsHike_042.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 2012-07-07_WatsonFallsHike_037.jpg
    2012-07-07_WatsonFallsHike_037.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

We-the-People

You're a tough looking guy! I'm even more impressed that you don't get police calls.

Yeah, I've been expecting my first MWAG call, LEO encounter since I've been out riding the bike in the leathers and "do rag". Definitely not the same image I give off when in my more usual business casual attire. That I haven't had one speaks to the "non issue" open carry is in most of Southern Oregon. As my "legs" get longer (i.e. my body can handle longer rides), I may start finding myself further north or west and seeing how those areas are.

When you consider that I took off my "gun belt" to get the chaps off, then hitched it back on, in two different areas loaded with tourists, it's even more impressive that someone didn't call, or if they did they were told "this is Oregon".

I

VW_Factor

While in my official work capacity this afternoon, I stopped by the OSU CU this afternoon in Safeway.

I observed that I am not the only OC'er here in Woodburn. :)

I didn't really have time to stop and say anything or introduce myself, but just happy to see it.

4runman

Gresham DMV

Went out to the DMV in Gresham today, while OC'ing. Had no problems, or questions, just a lot of odd looks. Everyone seemed to act more civilized than the way I remember... "an armed society, is a polite society"

We-the-People

Went to the Jackson County fair in Medford with my GF yesterday open carrying my FN 5.7 with two spare mags. Spent 4-5 hours just walking around trying to find anything worth looking at and partook of some "fair food" (though food is being fairly generous in the use of the term). Although there was a large police presence, we counted 11 police cars in one parking area alone, the only interactions we had were with curious citizens, a few thank you's (wearing my Marine Corps hat), and one positive comment on Open Caryying. I did notice a lot of people giving a hard look at my hip as we walked about, all the ones I noticed were men, but for the most part the people appeared to be oblivious. There certainly were no mass panics as our "buddies" at the brady bunch would have us believe.

After the fair we went to dinner at Shari's restaurant and a few people gave a double take or hard stare but no comments.

Then off to Wally World, again no interactions.

A good day Open Carrying.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Well it finally happened. I went to Cousins for breakfast this morning and was asked if I was a police officer by a manager. I said no just a regular citizen. I was then asked to place my firearm in my car, at which time I politely refused and stated I would not be eating there today. I will follow up with correspondence to the ownership. In 3 years of carrying open over 95% of the time this is the first instance where I have not been welcome.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Email sent today,

Dear Sirs,

On Sunday Morning I was asked to leave your restaurant. I was looking forward to enjoying a well cooked breakfast and consciously made an effort to eat at a local business and not a chain restaurant. I have eaten at Cousins before and visit The Dalles quite often.

After being seated and having my order taken by a pleasant waitress and having my orange juice brought to my I was approached by a 50 year old male with gray hair. He asked if I was a police officer and when I stated that I was just a regular citizen I was asked to put my openly carried firearm in my vehicle. At that time I politely explained that I would not be spending money in the business.

I was doing nothing illegal. I was well dressed, I was polite yet I was clearly discriminated against. During hunting season many gun owners visit your restaurant. Again, I was doing absolutely nothing illegal as Oregon is an open carry state.

I was very embarrassed that the manager (who did not identify himself) asked me to leave.

I want to make it clear that your policy is to discriminate against law abiding citizens and their ability to protect themselves. I will be letting everyone know in the firearms world, in the firearms industry and in the hunting and fishing world that you would like gun owners to not visit your business. This will be posted on multiple hunting, fishing and firearms websites including friendorfoe.us

If this is not the case please let me know.

Regards,

Nick Smith

Dogbait

Well it finally happened. I went to Cousins for breakfast this morning and was asked if I was a police officer by a manager. I said no just a regular citizen. I was then asked to place my firearm in my car, at which time I politely refused and stated I would not be eating there today. I will follow up with correspondence to the ownership. In 3 years of carrying open over 95% of the time this is the first instance where I have not been welcome.

I've ate at the Cousins in The Dalles last year with no issues. I hope this is just a single instance of an ignorant manager.

Last edited:

BadMoon Risin68

Mixed Reactions Today

So today I was transfering my permit from Washington county to Multnomah county and I was going to Portland to get it transferred. My Fiance and I had quite a bit of time to go shopping and kill time before she had to work. So I was open carrying my Glock 17 because my resident address did not match my Concealed Permit. We had stopped at the Fairview Target had no issues or complaints business as usual. Secured my firearm in the car with my Fiance before I entered the Sheriffs office on Glisan to get the background and fingerprinting done. After leaving I was issued a temporary permit since my Washington county permit was still valid. So I rearmed and continued carrying. We then went to Bi-mart on 122 and halsey (not the best area). I was checking out long guns, mind you this is in the back of the store. We were there for about five minutes and had no problems until I stepped aside to talk with my Fiance about a purchase. Low and behold the sporting goods clerk took interest in me and decided to push me out of the store. No signs were posted I was treated like a thief being ushered out. I informed him that I was going to purchase a rather highly valuable item but that this has made me change my mind. I asked to talk to the store manager after reentering the store with my weapon in the car with fiance (who was quite mad at the treatment we received). I talked to the front desk person who was very professional and understanding and offered the store manager to me, I thanked her and told her to have a good day. The manager Brent Rae was quite energetic about the topic and after I had explained my position that I had been forcefully removed from the store I would like piece of mind why that happened. He as well as the clerk that forced me out told me it was policy. So I asked for it and it. He said that he was not going to show it to me. I asked Why he doesn't put any signs up stating that people with firearms are not allowed to enter. He replied with "people are not allowed in here with handguns Oregon is not an open carry state." I asked if I could open carry my AR-15 then? He of course said no. I also stated that several other company's have no problem with it. He told me people freak out because of the Colorado shooter. I told him I carry because of people like him. I asked that if he has such a policy than he needs to inform his consumers before entering so they don't need to be treated this way every time. A armed citizen enters the location. He told me he does not need to post signs I should just know. If he's not going to post signs I haven't been trespassed I guess I can still carry right? Any way I got the owner of the company's phone number and here it is : Dou? (bad writing on his part) Kast 541-344-0681

The whole time I was interacting with Brent he was on the verge of yelling with a raised voice. Where I kept my calm and stated why I felt I was hassled. He seemed to not care one bit other than his opinions. I plan on sending him a Open Carry brochure, since open carry is not allowed in the state of Oregon.

Other than that no other issues except for a mysterious policy that does not exist most likely.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So today I was transfering my permit from Washington county to Multnomah county and I was going to Portland to get it transferred. My Fiance and I had quite a bit of time to go shopping and kill time before she had to work. So I was open carrying my Glock 17 because my resident address did not match my Concealed Permit. We had stopped at the Fairview Target had no issues or complaints business as usual. Secured my firearm in the car with my Fiance before I entered the Sheriffs office on Glisan to get the background and fingerprinting done. After leaving I was issued a temporary permit since my Washington county permit was still valid. So I rearmed and continued carrying. We then went to Bi-mart on 122 and halsey (not the best area). I was checking out long guns, mind you this is in the back of the store. We were there for about five minutes and had no problems until I stepped aside to talk with my Fiance about a purchase. Low and behold the sporting goods clerk took interest in me and decided to push me out of the store. No signs were posted I was treated like a thief being ushered out. I informed him that I was going to purchase a rather highly valuable item but that this has made me change my mind. I asked to talk to the store manager after reentering the store with my weapon in the car with fiance (who was quite mad at the treatment we received). I talked to the front desk person who was very professional and understanding and offered the store manager to me, I thanked her and told her to have a good day. The manager Brent Rae was quite energetic about the topic and after I had explained my position that I had been forcefully removed from the store I would like piece of mind why that happened. He as well as the clerk that forced me out told me it was policy. So I asked for it and it. He said that he was not going to show it to me. I asked Why he doesn't put any signs up stating that people with firearms are not allowed to enter. He replied with "people are not allowed in here with handguns Oregon is not an open carry state." I asked if I could open carry my AR-15 then? He of course said no. I also stated that several other company's have no problem with it. He told me people freak out because of the Colorado shooter. I told him I carry because of people like him. I asked that if he has such a policy than he needs to inform his consumers before entering so they don't need to be treated this way every time. A armed citizen enters the location. He told me he does not need to post signs I should just know. If he's not going to post signs I haven't been trespassed I guess I can still carry right? Any way I got the owner of the company's phone number and here it is : Dou? (bad writing on his part) Kast 541-344-0681

The whole time I was interacting with Brent he was on the verge of yelling with a raised voice. Where I kept my calm and stated why I felt I was hassled. He seemed to not care one bit other than his opinions. I plan on sending him a Open Carry brochure, since open carry is not allowed in the state of Oregon.

Other than that no other issues except for a mysterious policy that does not exist most likely.

Paragraphs, please!

Don't hold court with someone that doesn't know the law and doesn't want to discuss it rationally. Leave and take up the issue with upper management.

Never, repeat never, suggest anti signs.

VW_Factor

Paragraphs, please!

Don't hold court with someone that doesn't know the law and doesn't want to discuss it rationally. Leave and take up the issue with upper management.

Never, repeat never, suggest anti signs.

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

carracer

I have sent numerous requests for company policy to Bi-Mart corporate. I have never received even an acknowledgement of my emails from them. No reply from them no matter what the subject.

We-the-People

Spent the day out on the bike yesterday. First stop was at Lake of the Woods where we visited with some friends who were at the "beach" (a bunch of gravel). GF and I were both open carry and she got her first "are you a cop" question. We then had lunch at the resort restaurant where, on here way out an older lady asked why I was carrying a weapon. When I asked her why she wasn't she turned to my GF and asked her what she thought about my being armed to which the GF replied, I'm armed to and indicated her pistol. The lady asked her what it was and she told her "a 357 magnum" and the woman was dumbfounded. During this exchange, the younger woman with her (daughter it appeared) was saying more people need to carry and I explained that if people in Aurora had been armed there would have been fewer people shot and killed. Don't think we convinced the older lady but it was nice to know that the other one was "on our side".

Afterwards we rode to Crater Lake though we didn't go in due to low fuel, stopped at Union Creek to use the facilities and explore the CCC camp there. Then down to Prospect for fuel. Stopped at one of the fishing areas near Lost Creek to avoid coming down into the valley heat and spent about an hour and a half there. Then back on the bike and home.

Other than the "are you a cop" question at the beach, and the lady in the restaurant, no one seemed to notice or care. A good day OC.

Last edited:

We-the-People

Monday (finals are approaching so I've been busy) took the bike (sans leathers) and went to my bank to withdrew a chunk of change; to the lawyers (where I disarm per their request); then the Jackson Couny Courthouse (disarmed but empty holster and mag pouch) to file some papers. I then rearmed and stopped at Rogue Community College to talk with a friend (while sitting on the bike on the side of the city street between buildings); then to News & Smokes where I made my purchase and visited with an acquaintence who was there (both inside and outside); then over to the DMV to see about registering my vehicle; and finally out to dinner at the Outback with the GF. No peeps or screeches from anyone.

I'm working very hard not to let my guard down as I know that's the day that I'll need the audio recorder and my wits. It seems that OC in Southern Oregon simply isn't an issue but then we have the "disorderly" arrest of a protestor who was OC and face planted with LEO weapons drawn. Arraignment in that case is 10am tomorrow at Medford Muni Court.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Monday (finals are approaching so I've been busy) took the bike (sans leathers) and went to my bank to withdrew a chunk of change; to the lawyers (where I disarm per their request); then the Jackson Couny Courthouse (disarmed but empty holster and mag pouch) to file some papers. I then rearmed and stopped at Rogue Community College to talk with a friend (while sitting on the bike on the side of the city street between buildings); then to News & Smokes where I made my purchase and visited with an acquaintence who was there (both inside and outside); then over to the DMV to see about registering my vehicle; and finally out to dinner at the Outback with the GF. No peeps or screeches from anyone.

I'm working very hard not to let my guard down as I know that's the day that I'll need the audio recorder and my wits. It seems that OC in Southern Oregon simply isn't an issue but then we have the "disorderly" arrest of a protestor who was OC and face planted with LEO weapons drawn. Arraignment in that case is 10am tomorrow at Medford Muni Court.

Good guy disarmed by his attorney? Admit that bothers me a lot, but he's not my attorney.

Do you have a link on that case or reference here on OCDO?

TheHossUSMC

I talked directly with the manager of branch operations two years ago, and he said bi-mart policy is that your weapon must be concealed in their stores, which is legal with or without a CHl considering it's private property.

TheHossUSMC

I was under the impression that under ORS 166.370 Section 3 subsection d, that section 1 "does not apply" therefore allowing the carrying of a firearm in a county courthouse. Do you not have an Oregon CHL or did I miss something?