• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help for Admins. -> Tell them what needs to be tweaked in one spot vs many thoughout.

Do you like the "new" format vs. the "old" one?

• Total voters

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Help for Admins. -> Tell them what needs to be tweaked in one spot vs many thoughout.

Not being critical just trying to help here.

1. Searching seems to be "global" you can't just search "MI" forum. Maybe I missed something?

2. Could we have a feature like we did before to sort in "MI" forum for recent posts/popular etc...

3. Picture attachments need to be made easier

4. Visually it is hard to find things .

5. AD banner huge & takes up top 25% of screen. I can block them, but out of respect have not. Is there anyway to tile/display them vertically on the side maybe?

American Boy With a Gun

Good Idea G9mmOS

Some not so bright layouts would be amazing.

Pic posting is a definite

also

You have included 5 images in your message. You are limited to using 4 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

Theres a limit to how many dancing bananas i can post. This is simply unacceptable :p

:banana::banana::banana:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure what the question is about images. They are limited to 100K to prevent excessive bandwidth usage but other than that ???

All I did here was click "Reply With Quote" and then clicked the picture button in the editor and selected a picture off of my hard drive.

elvgren skeet.jpg

If the picture is above a certain size, it shows as a thumbnail and then clicking on it will give you the full sized image.

Yes, but in the old forum you didnt have to, you could just add the photo using the little button (cant remember the buttons name) and no photobucketing was required

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
You can also add multiple images such as:

NOTE: If images are smaller than a certain size then they will print full size as illustrated.

tux38.pngtux34.pngtux228.pngtux255.png

I am not sure what the question is about images. They are limited to 100K to prevent excessive bandwidth usage but other than that ???

All I did here was click "Reply With Quote" and then clicked the picture button in the editor and selected a picture off of my hard drive.

View attachment 2979

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
1. When in a forum, you have the option to search just in that forum in addition to the global search. The same is true when in a thread where you have the option to search in that thread. Click on the following thumbnail to see where.

Search_Forum.png

1. Searching seems to be "global" you can't just search "MI" forum. Maybe I missed something?

2. Could we have a feature like we did before to sort in "MI" forum for recent posts/popular etc...

5. AD banner huge & takes up top 25% of screen. I can block them, but out of respect have not. Is there anyway to tile/display them vertically on the side maybe?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
2. You can sort the forum listings by last post ascending or descending date simply by clicking the column label. Click on the attached thumbnail to see where to click. The Arrow up or down indicates descending or ascending.

Sort_Forum.png

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
3. See my posts below and let me know what else I can do to help.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
4. I am going to offer user-selectable skins so that users may select a color scheme and 'look' that works best for them but I don't want to do that until all of the basic features are configured the way we want them. I will keep you informed.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
5. I have tried to adjust the advertising to make it somewhat less intrusive. However, I understand that it takes up screen space.

Thank you for not blocking them. Mike and I hope to use the revenue from both out sponsors and from Google ads to help defray the cost of running the forum (which just went up several hundred percent!). :p

Thanks!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I have increased the number of images / smilies that may be included in a given post to 10. Hopefully that is enough. If not, we can revisit the setting.

Some not so bright layouts would be amazing.

Pic posting is a definite

also

You have included 5 images in your message. You are limited to using 4 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

Theres a limit to how many dancing bananas i can post. This is simply unacceptable :p

:banana::banana::banana:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I understand. :)

But we were tap dancing on the edge of disaster with the old one and it was only a matter of time before disaster struck. I quite literally feel as if a great weight has been taken off my shoulders now that we are on a modern, supportable, enterprise class server / forum solution!
:monkey

I must be getting old! I want the old one back. soooo many links, and fewer dancing bananas.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for feedback - maybe we could get a tutorial setup for end users?

I know this is no easy task! I appreciate the feedback. My question is did you have any beta testers or did we do the old "roll it out & pray"? As an end user I am running into many issues & I am very very (IT/IS) savvy, so if this is the case for me, I can only imagine how it is for some others. Might I suggest a tutorial? I would be happy to send you the software needed to create one in PDF or other formats.

G9mmOS

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I will give that some thought once I get past the initial shockwave of issues. :)

As for beta testing, there was none. Without going into details, the old forum was quite literally on the verge of collapse and the fact that it has gone as smooth as it has is nothing short of a miracle! :)

And I DO love vBulletin and the new server!!!!! So much more reliable, stable, supportable, etc!

I know this is no easy task! I appreciate the feedback. My question is did you have any beta testers or did we do the old "roll it out & pray"? As an end user I am running into many issues & I am very very (IT/IS) savvy, so if this is the case for me, I can only imagine how it is for some others. Might I suggest a tutorial? I would be happy to send you the software needed to create one in PDF or other formats.

G9mmOS