• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help for Admins. -> Tell them what needs to be tweaked in one spot vs many thoughout.

Do you like the "new" format vs. the "old" one?

• Total voters

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Not so for me

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Ahhh....see pics. It may be the default for users is different than Admins...do we know?
The only search option I see is near the upper right hand corner & ALWAYS returns a GLOBAL result.

1. When in a forum, you have the option to search just in that forum in addition to the global search. The same is true when in a thread where you have the option to search in that thread. Click on the following thumbnail to see where.

View attachment 2984

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Not so for me (searches part 2)

If I choose the advanced search option below is what I get which still returns GLOBAL results. No offense but MI is your busiest forum from what I can see. I think that you want to keep as many users as possible correct? I'm just pointing out what I'm running into here so please do take it as criticism. The last thing I want when I search for OC ban in parks is to sift through results from multiple states.

Again I think what you are seeing on your end is different from the typical end users view.
Heck even the "Manage attachments button" dialog can be vague or confusing for novice PC users?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
More search_navigation isssues

See pics if a user types a search query from the main MI forum page the results offer no navigation back to the main MI forum page...so when a user clicks the Forum button in the upper left (basically their only choice) they end up at the MAIN OCDO.ORG page, which is very frustrating.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Is that inside the post or in your signature? Because you are still limited to 4 in your signature.

You have included 10 images in your message. You are limited to using 4 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

:shocker:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
When I log in as a regular user, I still have the Search Forum or Search Thread option. Note that you need to be in a forum or a thread to see them (not the What's New view, etc).

If this is not the case for you, can you please post a capture of an entire screen?

Thanks!

John

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Ahhh....see pics. It may be the default for users is different than Admins...do we know?
The only search option I see is near the upper right hand corner & ALWAYS returns a GLOBAL result.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I of course want to help any way that I can.

The search you are looking for is not the Advanced Search. It is the Search Forum on the lower bar.

See the attached screenshot from a normal user account.

Search2.jpg

If I choose the advanced search option below is what I get which still returns GLOBAL results. No offense but MI is your busiest forum from what I can see. I think that you want to keep as many users as possible correct? I'm just pointing out what I'm running into here so please do take it as criticism. The last thing I want when I search for OC ban in parks is to sift through results from multiple states.

Again I think what you are seeing on your end is different from the typical end users view.
Heck even the "Manage attachments button" dialog can be vague or confusing for novice PC users?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Okay????? So be it ;)

When I log in as a regular user, I still have the Search Forum or Search Thread option. Note that you need to be in a forum or a thread to see them (not the What's New view, etc).

If this is not the case for you, can you please post a capture of an entire screen?

Thanks!

John

1st there is NO NAVIGATION so if the end user doesn't know to use the BACKSPACE KEY they are lost! Not good & IT 101 stuff here. 2nd see pics. Screen shots from within this very forum. The only way for a user to get local search results is to open up the advanced search link which takes about 20 seconds on my 10meg cable line???? Then they have to have the wisdom/curiosity to drill down several levels to specify to search in the MI forum only. Once they hit the search button they get results...but no navigation back to either the thread they were in or the MI main forum page.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Crossed wires?

Okay so I see from your pic you have to back completely out of a thread to search "forum" contents?

See a tutorial would have saved us so much time? At least others may learn from this thread I hope? I am not being critical. I understand this was an emergency roll out....but MAN IT SHOWS!

Also try viewing a thumb nail...once you click it, (1st time usually ok but after that slow loads) often it takes MINUTES to load. You may want to review your server bandwidth setting for graphics/files? I have verified the issue is not on my end it is your server.

Just my honest opinion. I have considered leaving this forum until the bugs have been worked out. It is just very "clunky" at this point & hence annoying to me.

Thanks for all you do & I do understand you guys are doing this for a good cause.

Kind regards - G9mmOS.

Last edited:

American Boy With a Gun

Okay so I see from your pic you have to back completely out of a thread to search "forum" contents?

See a tutorial would have saved us so much time? At least others my learn from this thread I hope? I am not being critical. I understand this was an emergency roll out....but MAN IT SHOWS!

Also try viewing a thumb nail...once you click it, often it takes MINUTES to load. You may want to review your server bandwidth setting for graphics/files? I have verified the issue is not on my end it is your server.

Just my honest opinion. I have considered leaving this forum until the bugs have been worked out. It is just very "clunky" at this point & hence annoying to me.

Thanks for all you do & I do understand you guys are doing this for a good cause.

Kind regards - G9mmOS.

Takes me roughly 5 seconds......

American Boy With a Gun

It can very wildly sometimes very quick others 14.4kb modem speed...the old farts will know what I'm talking about. You are far too young of a Jedi to remember those horrible days; you lucky Dog.

WIN for star wars reference

And ive gone thru and loaded up every thumbnail i could find with no problemos...

maybe im just lucky LOL :banana::rolleyes:

eastmeyers

It can very wildly sometimes very quick others 14.4kb modem speed...the old farts will know what I'm talking about. You are far too young of a Jedi to remember those horrible days; you lucky Dog.

I wouldn't be so sure I am only 23 and I remember these days, wait does this make me a nerd or old? Crap :cuss::cuss::banghead::banghead:
and crap I can only have 4 images wtf

PDinDetroit

At one time, I was grateful to be able to upgrade to a 14.4 Kbps Modem in my Home PC (it started out at 9600 bps). Hell, at one time I wrote protocol stuff for 1200 bps connections.

Glock9mmOldStyle - have you tried various browsers and tried changing settings to see if it would help? Which browser are you using (type & version)?

To date, I have had no issues like you speak of. I am utilizing a WinXP SP3 Build with Firefox 3.6.6 (which was just released due to stability issues).

eastmeyers

Kind regards - G9mmOS.

+1

I have brought this up on the main complaint page twice and it was ignored as well as on the Michigan's first post thread and it was also ignored their. So I will again post it, here. Their is NO button that takes you to the part of the thread you were last viewing like on the last site, their is a button that takes you to the "newest" posts. This button however is COMPLETLY random, I can click it, click back, than refresh, click it again, and it takes me somewhere else completly, nowhere neer where I have ever been in the thread before. Sometimes it takes me neer the biginging sometimes neer the end, sometimes in the middle, like I said it is completly random. And YES I am logged in, before anyone asks, the first day this site "rolled out" the first time I logged in I clicked keep me logged in, and have been so since. So that is NOT the issue! Please help, I am seriously just thinking of taking a month or two off of this site and come back when hopefully the issues are fixed at least if I am going to be ignored. I do appreciate everything John and Mike do, I DO, but if I am so annoyed my blood pressure goes up that isn't good! This would be a shame seeing as how most of our "get togethers" are in the summer and I would not know about them, but I gotta do what I gotta do, I will check back soon, at least once to see if anything has been done, or if I have at LEAST been addressed.
As always,
God Bless
(oh wait now we have signitures, so I am already saying god bless, kick-butt feature)

OH AND HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IESPELL AND EVERYTIME I CLICK SPELLCHECK IT SAYS I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! AND YES I KNOW THIS IS PROB MY COMPUTERS FAULT, DEAL WITH MY SPELLING AHHHAHAHAHAHAH!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss:
LIMITED TO 4

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Pd - exact same here

At one time, I was grateful to be able to upgrade to a 14.4 Kbps Modem in my Home PC (it started out at 9600 bps). Hell, at one time I wrote protocol stuff for 1200 bps connections.

Glock9mmOldStyle - have you tried various browsers and tried changing settings to see if it would help? Which browser are you using (type & version)?

To date, I have had no issues like you speak of. I am utilizing a WinXP SP3 Build with Firefox 3.6.6 (which was just released due to stability issues).

On the Wife's PC (Large dual LCD monitors) most of the time: Desktop specs Win XP SP3 with FireFox 3.6.6 I've tried this & IE8 same results.
I'm pretty sure the issues are on the server end here.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I DID address you on the other thread. The suggestion there was to insure that you checked Remember Me and to accept cookies from the site. However, it looks as if that didn't work for you so I will have to try and find another way to duplicate your issue.

I assure you that we do not want anyone to leave because of the new forum. We are working through the reported issues as fast as we can. I have literally not left my computer for any significant time except to sleep since Saturday morning.

John

+1

I have brought this up on the main complaint page twice and it was ignored as well as on the Michigan's first post thread and it was also ignored their. So I will again post it, here. Their is NO button that takes you to the part of the thread you were last viewing like on the last site, their is a button that takes you to the "newest" posts. This button however is COMPLETLY random, I can click it, click back, than refresh, click it again, and it takes me somewhere else completly, nowhere neer where I have ever been in the thread before. Sometimes it takes me neer the biginging sometimes neer the end, sometimes in the middle, like I said it is completly random. And YES I am logged in, before anyone asks, the first day this site "rolled out" the first time I logged in I clicked keep me logged in, and have been so since. So that is NOT the issue! Please help, I am seriously just thinking of taking a month or two off of this site and come back when hopefully the issues are fixed at least if I am going to be ignored. I do appreciate everything John and Mike do, I DO, but if I am so annoyed my blood pressure goes up that isn't good! This would be a shame seeing as how most of our "get togethers" are in the summer and I would not know about them, but I gotta do what I gotta do, I will check back soon, at least once to see if anything has been done, or if I have at LEAST been addressed.
As always,
God Bless
(oh wait now we have signitures, so I am already saying god bless, kick-butt feature)

OH AND HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IESPELL AND EVERYTIME I CLICK SPELLCHECK IT SAYS I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! AND YES I KNOW THIS IS PROB MY COMPUTERS FAULT, DEAL WITH MY SPELLING AHHHAHAHAHAHAH!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss:
LIMITED TO 4

eastmeyers

I DID address you on the other thread. The suggestion there was to insure that you checked Remember Me and to accept cookies from the site. However, it looks as if that didn't work for you so I will have to try and find another way to duplicate your issue.

I assure you that we do not want anyone to leave because of the new forum. We are working through the reported issues as fast as we can. I have literally not left my computer for any significant time except to sleep since Saturday morning.

John
Thanks for the help

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Sent messages issue

Hi John

I've noticed that only messages I sent prior to the change-over show up in the sent folder view. In my case 6-22-10. I have sent several messages since then but I cannot see anything dated after the switch in my sent folder?

stainless1911

Banned
Its Ok. It takes a lot longer to load, or go from page to page though. And sometimes it takes a long time to get an email response, which can make proper conversation difficult. The old system was so fast that you could practically use the forums as a chat. I loved that. Today, I just got a notification that was several hours old, and had several posts after the notification post. that can take you out of the loop so to speak.