• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle carrying question

maclean

Somewhat of a tactical error on your part. It's always advisable when in traffic to leave "maneuver" room by just stopping a little sooner and leave a car length in front. Even if you can't pull totally out, you can start moving and that may discourage someone on foot. It also keeps you from hitting the car in front of you if rear-ended yourself.

Plus 10,0000 this is my personal pet peeve about Seattle drivers and especially folks new to the art of saving your a$$.

You should be able to see the bottom of the rear tires of the vehicle in front of you at a minimum.

Also - drive or draw, not both. You are almost ALWAYS better off driving out than shooting it out.

I don't change my carry position when in the car. The more often you f**, er futz with your weapon the more likely you are to do something stupid and ventilate your car.

Ruby

It was stated that the weapon was a S&W M&P 9mm c(compact?). If this is correct the firearm is a striker fired weapon and has no exposed hammer. It REQUIRES a finger on the trigger to discharge.

I have an S&W M&P 9 mil compact, it was the first gun I bought. The external safety comes off too easy I think, but it's double action with a harder trigger pull than my 1911.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Somewhat of a tactical error on your part. It's always advisable when in traffic to leave "maneuver" room by just stopping a little sooner and leave a car length in front. Even if you can't pull totally out, you can start moving and that may discourage someone on foot. It also keeps you from hitting the car in front of you if rear-ended yourself.

Plus 10,0000 this is my personal pet peeve about Seattle drivers and especially folks new to the art of saving your a$$.

You should be able to see the bottom of the rear tires of the vehicle in front of you at a minimum.

Also - drive or draw, not both. You are almost ALWAYS better off driving out than shooting it out.

I don't change my carry position when in the car. The more often you f**, er futz with your weapon the more likely you are to do something stupid and ventilate your car.

Yes. And I admitted to the tactical error on my part. I always leave the bottom of the tires in front of me. If you drive with me you will see that. That particular time I did not and it was a huge error. Learn from me, always leave ample room in front of your vehicle. I have taken driving lessons and driven automobiles over 200 mph, I have completed J brakes at nearly 90 mph, I understand low speed driving and evasion.

The one thing I can say to those who have never taken driving classes....always be able to see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you when coming to a stop.

Deleted_User

Yes. And I admitted to the tactical error on my part. I always leave the bottom of the tires in front of me. If you drive with me you will see that. That particular time I did not and it was a huge error. Learn from me, always leave ample room in front of your vehicle. I have taken driving lessons and driven automobiles over 200 mph, I have completed J brakes at nearly 90 mph, I understand low speed driving and evasion.

The one thing I can say to those who have never taken driving classes....always be able to see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you when coming to a stop.

I took a Defensive Driving course (DDC) and learned a ton from it. I'd recommend it to anyone whom has the time and $$ to do it. If you're in the military, most bases may still offer this course for FREE. I know they did when I was in.

Back on topic: I've always seen that my Serpa gets blocked by my seatbelt. I've pondered carrying cross-draw for just this reason. It's also the reason I'm OCing my shoulder rig more now. Just in case.

devildoc5

GoGo's post is just another example that should be something for ALL OF US to remember and employ.

It doesn't matter how much training you have had or how proficient you are in something, one moment of not paying attention can lead to a hairy situation.

Not trying to mess with you GoGo, just hoping that some people will take something positive out of your experience.

I myself have taken evasive driving courses, defensive driving course, Emergency Vehicle Operations Courses, however I can tell you that one of the biggest things that was driven into my head in all of those classes (and many more classes I have taken) is to ALWAYS be on the alert. Something can happen at anytime, you need to always be prepared for it.

.45ACPaddy

I found the serpa holster to rest nicely and accessibly while in the car with the holster at a forward cant. Unfortunately, I don't have a serpa at the moment. I'd actually prefer a thigh rig since it would be a hell of a lot more comfortable when driving. I've tried a couple out and they feel better for drawing as well.

Deleted_User

I found the serpa holster to rest nicely and accessibly while in the car with the holster at a forward cant. Unfortunately, I don't have a serpa at the moment. I'd actually prefer a thigh rig since it would be a hell of a lot more comfortable when driving. I've tried a couple out and they feel better for drawing as well.

*Sarcasm on* SSshhhh! Don't say thigh rig! What's wrong with you? People get the wrong idea. It scares people. *Sarcasm off*

DevilDoc and I have discussed this exact scenario in length and I tend to agree with this assessment. Yet another reason why one is reasonable.

amlevin

*Sarcasm on* SSshhhh! Don't say thigh rig! What's wrong with you? People get the wrong idea. It scares people. *Sarcasm off*

DevilDoc and I have discussed this exact scenario in length and I tend to agree with this assessment. Yet another reason why one is reasonable.

Rather than the "Thigh Rig" I prefer a cross draw or shoulder holster when driving long distances. The Serpa when mounted on the pancake adapter can be angled for comfortable cross draw. This places the firearm outside the interference of the seat belt. In my vehicle there is a large center console that would be somewhat of an obstacle when drawing from strong side. It would seem to me that drawing from a thigh holster while seated in the vehicle could be limited by your elbow hitting the seat back. Another plus for cross draw is that the firearm is somewhat hidden from anyone outside. Drivers side it's below the side window. Passenger side it's hidden by your body. In the professional Bodyguard/Driver business, this is often the manner of carry. Good easy access and comfortable for long periods seated behind the wheel.

Whatever you do, make sure that the firearm is SECURE. One of the deadly mistakes in the famous (at least notorious) FBI shootout in FL was that an agent placed his main firearm on the seat during a chase. When he wrecked, the firearm "disappeared" somewhere on the floor or under the dash. When he took immediate fire, he was stuck with a much smaller, and less effective, backup weapon.

Like maclean said, drive or fight. If your driving that weapon MUST be secured. On your body is best as you won't have to go looking for it should you have to leave the car. If you must put it somewhere in the vehicle a good holster, secured to the seat or console would be next best.

amlevin

I'm a lefty.. So the seatbelt issue is a non-issue to me. CC or OC, on my left hip, easily accessible.

Unless you are driving in the UK, Japan, Australia, or the US Virgin Islands.

smiley-confused.jpg

xxx.jakk.xxx

I carry in a thigh rig quite often and they can make it easy or impossible to draw while driving. It all depends on the holster that you use. I currently have altered my thigh rig to only have 1 leg strap and it sits right below my belt. This position makes it sit with the back of the grip pushed against the seat. It's pretty impossible to draw. Back when I had it with 2 straps and closer to my knee than hip it made it A LOT easier to draw than a normal holster since it just sat there waiting to be grabbed.

Deleted_User

Rather than the "Thigh Rig" I prefer a cross draw or shoulder holster when driving long distances. The Serpa when mounted on the pancake adapter can be angled for comfortable cross draw. This places the firearm outside the interference of the seat belt. In my vehicle there is a large center console that would be somewhat of an obstacle when drawing from strong side. It would seem to me that drawing from a thigh holster while seated in the vehicle could be limited by your elbow hitting the seat back. Another plus for cross draw is that the firearm is somewhat hidden from anyone outside. Drivers side it's below the side window. Passenger side it's hidden by your body. In the professional Bodyguard/Driver business, this is often the manner of carry. Good easy access and comfortable for long periods seated behind the wheel.

Whatever you do, make sure that the firearm is SECURE. One of the deadly mistakes in the famous (at least notorious) FBI shootout in FL was that an agent placed his main firearm on the seat during a chase. When he wrecked, the firearm "disappeared" somewhere on the floor or under the dash. When he took immediate fire, he was stuck with a much smaller, and less effective, backup weapon.

Like maclean said, drive or fight. If your driving that weapon MUST be secured. On your body is best as you won't have to go looking for it should you have to leave the car. If you must put it somewhere in the vehicle a good holster, secured to the seat or console would be next best.

A great informative post. Thanks for your insight that might save my 100 bucks. I just might have to try that on my trip to Vancouver.